Postal service heads up

Anthony5

Today I had to send 3 piece A4 documents by EMS to my home country.

I had stapled them together in the top corner and folded into a regular size airmail envelope, which I hadn't closed yet.

I went to the post office and asked the lady how much it would cost, telling her at the same time that I would close the envelope.

She asked if she could remove the staple.

When I asked her why, she told me that with the documents stapled together it would cost 960 Baht, while without that small staple it would be only 800 Baht.

Needless to say that I agreed that the staple was removed. When I challenged her how she would have known about the staple if i had closed the envelope already, she answered they would touch check the envelope for staples or paper clips.

Don't understand why that minuscule staple can make such a huge price difference, but I was her tankful for the advice, and thought I make other members aware of it because once the envelope is closed it will cost you an extra 20%.

• Like 1

In other countries they run it thru X-Ray. I sent flat (computer chips as documents and they were seen at destination.....So much for the conspiration theorists.

Nobody said you can't send computer chips as documents, and has also nothing to do with conspiracy, the point is that when a staple or paperclip attached the postal charge is different .

And the girl was able to give me an exact quote with and without the staple.

In other countries they run it thru X-Ray. I sent flat (computer chips as documents and they were seen at destination.....So much for the conspiration theorists.

Look what I found here, written by the US postal services.

http://www.facilities.udel.edu/uspsmailpreparation.aspx

DO NOT insert paper clips in an envelope, as they can cause damage to the postage meter. Staples are acceptable as long as the staple is not in the upper right corner where the postage is to be imprinted. Letters with paper clips inserted will be returned for removal

And further

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/usps-and-paper-clips-staples-on-secondaries.215705/

4. The USPS highly recommends removing staples, paper clips or other

blank.gif fasteners from any outbound US Mail. Fasteners disqualify mail for presort

blank.gif savings and incur USPS surcharges. Fasteners cause damage to mail pieces

blank.gif when processed on USPS equipment.

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 1

Off topic removed.

People should refrain from stating what people have or have not said in historic or unrelated threads/posts that is off topic and could be deemed as derailing the current thread. It may also be viewed as "stalking" which is against forum rules.

It makes sense to me. Metal messes up their scanning equipment.

Thats an acceptable explanation, and probably the reasoning behind the premium, but the point of my thread was that the majority of people are not aware that the minuscule staple will cost them 20% extra.

I for one was not aware of it and surprised when the postal service staff pointed it out to me.

The girl of course knows nothing just as everybody else.

We are also not allowed to send liquid but I send it all the time.

Good on you that you can send liquid against the restrictions, however I have such a feeling that if one day they confiscate your shipment and throw it in the dustbin for that reason, you will start complaining about how inefficient the postal services are.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's simply impossible.

I tried to send the same parcel 4 times and it came back because of airport xray every time !

And I even tried to send by surface, but it came back also (nobody can explain me why a surface parcel has to be xrayed ? )

Another heads up... In my opinion EMS is a waste of money. Yo can send regular post with REK for a fraction of the price. You get a tracking number and the recipient has to sign for it. Fully traceable and goes almost same speed. (7 days to EU) vs 3-5 working days for EMS. In reality they usually get there at the same time. You can pay 85 instead do 850 or more.

If that "REK" is referring to Registered Airmail then his claim is wrong, as not ALL countries provide tracking for that service, Whereas EMS handling countries do provide door to door tracking.

Don't know about that, but registered mail in Thailand provides tracking to my home country, and it is indeed a fraction of the price of EMS. I've used it on other occasions.

In case of the OP I had to be sure it arrived in less than 5 days, otherwise I would have used registered mail.

I would think that tracking is actually the purpose of registered mail, where express is the purpose of EMS, so i don't understand why some countries would not provide tracking.

Registered mail purpose is to provide "proof of delivery", which all Postal services will provide for that service.

As for the "fraction of the price" in comparison, that would entirely depend on the content/form/weight of the item.

To say nothing of the vastly different Insurance coverage/amount between the services.

Registered mail purpose is to provide "proof of delivery", which all Postal services will provide for that service.

As for the "fraction of the price" in comparison, that would entirely depend on the content/form/weight of the item.

To say nothing of the vastly different Insurance coverage/amount between the services.

So how do you get proof of delivery if no tracking would be provided?

I know Thailand is probably an exception in the price, because I know in my homecountry a registered domestic letter is 10 Euro, but I have sent documents by registered mail from Thailand to my home country previously and it was something like a 100 Baht.

By EMS 3 pages A4 in a regular format envelop was 800 Baht.

They only enter final "delivered", afterwards, not step by step tracking at each stage leading to and then concluding in delivery.

The example you quote for letters is just one for paper, and is item specific, not a general statement (implying all) of vastly different as previously stated.

It's simply impossible.

I tried to send the same parcel 4 times and it came back because of airport xray every time !

And I even tried to send by surface, but it came back also (nobody can explain me why a surface parcel has to be xrayed ? )

To spy.....It is even possible to read a letter....