US officially asks Thailand to recall her contaminated apples

Lite Beer

why does Thailand not grow their own apples - in fact there are probably many fruits and veg that Thailand could be growing rather than importing as they have the climate

Looks like you are a rocket scientist in growing apples, thailand having not so much regions to growing apples, caused of their climate.

Some regions in the north would be possible, but have to prove every place, also about soil conditions, raining etc. and then decide and test what kind of apples would growing the best in every location.

Exactly. But as mentioned in my previous post, even if some of the higher elevation areas would be suitable for apple production, those areas are either national parks or devoted to tea (and to a lesser extent coffee) production.

Locals in places like Mae Salong who originated from Yunnan in China at the end of the Chinese revolution in 1949 are used to growing tea. They aren't going to switch to producing apples, which take many years just to produce their first crop. Myself and my team already investigated growing warm-climate blueberries in northern Thailand around 2011 - but nobody was interested and when I considered the climate figures and lack of space available to grow them, we decided to give up. Vietnam, perhaps parts of northern Laos and southern China are better for blueberry production than Thailand. The same can be said about apples. China is the world's biggest producer and one of the biggest areas of production is at Zhaotong, 2000m above sea level in the northern part of Yunnan province. The weather there is fairly dry, with much lower average annual humidity than in Thailand. Rainfall is much lower and average temperatures in winter range from slightly below freezing to 10-15 degrees during the day and up to 25-27 degrees in summer.

Compare and contrast those conditions to anywhere in Thailand and I can't think of one place with similar weather save for the mountaintops, which as mentioned are either located in national parks or are full of other crops and unsuitable for anything more than perhaps experimental production of other crops such as apples, but no one is interested.

I know an interesting place the question is there land available for reasonable prices!!??? Doi Inthernon whistling.gif

All jokes aside, Are you ready to get the Listeriosis bacteria? Check to see if you

have got extra confusion than normal, stiffness in your neck and not from

gazing at the beach beauties, Loss of balance, and symptoms similar to

Meningitis, which is another thing I do not want to ever get.

Another symptom may be the following: Death!

Do you want to die? In Canada we have had this notice, and some

apples were found in the eastern part of our country.

That one factory ships apples all over. Some brands were Gala apples, granny smith,

and one of w other brands.

Even if the chances of you buying an affected apple is very slim, be cautious!

In the USA there have been some people who have gotten this bacteria,

and they are not well!

Just saying!

Stargeezer

Hum.... Ya' got to wonder why the US FDA would issue a warning on their own produce if there wasn't some problems with it? Get real! What would be the point?

Well, I suppose if I were a conspiracy theorist, maybe so they'd all be thrown away, and new ones ordered, making twice the sales.

But that's just a theory. tongue.png

'... the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has inspected the cargos ... and has not found any contamination in the shipments ...' So they know better than the US. No doubt money is playing its part.

'Mr Prapon ... commented that the possibility of infection of Listeriosis in the Kingdom is low as most Thai consumers wash and peel apples before consumption ...' Putting to one side the Thais oft scant attention to safety, he knows that for fact, does he? I always wash them, but peel only to cook. Why? Because the skins are roughage.

Hum.... Ya' got to wonder why the US FDA would issue a warning on their own produce if there wasn't some problems with it? Get real! What would be the point?

Well, I suppose if I were a conspiracy theorist, maybe so they'd all be thrown away, and new ones ordered, making twice the sales.

Thus half the profit. Unless you think importers would pay twice.

Thus half the profit. Unless you think importers would pay twice.

The apples are paid for upon shipping. There are no credit terms.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Damn..I love apples

The apples we get here in Thailand are bland, sour, hard, and not worth the baht, in my opinion. only thing to do with them is cook them down with sugar and cinnamon and nutmeg and use as a condiment for nice pork chops. I cant eat them raw. Not after the apples I grew up with in North America, where they are delicious, particularly in autumn.

You can get great apples here at some stores like Villa and Central Chitlom and Gourmet Market. I've picked up plenty of good apples here even at Big C.. You have to know how to check them.