How do you avoid Pickpockets?

NoshowJones

I was once pick pocketed in Elvis Presley house many years ago. I'm serious! Actually his house is more of a museum now.

Vietnam has a huge pick pocket and crime rate! Beware if your in Vietnam!

Actually I added 2 buttons on each pocket to a few of my shorts. Makes it very difficult to open without me knowing.

I believe you, I have also been to Graceland, and you will get pickpockets anywhere there is a crowd.

Back in the 70s I worked for a small company, the owner (and his sons) of which was also an on course bookie at the Flemington racecourse in Melbourne. I'd sometimes work with them 'on the bag', and one of the first things that Bruce (yes, really!) told me was NEVER to carry money in a wallet, particularly in your back pocket. He himself just folded the wad and stuffed it into his back pocket. Very difficult to extract loose notes, but a nice, shiny and slippery wallet slides out very easily.

So that's how I've carried my money ever since.

And I've never been pick-pocketed, although I think that's just the luck of the draw.

I carry wallet, phone, keys, smokes, in my front pockets. I wear jeans or jean style shorts most of the time so the pockets are horizontal, thus making it hard to get anything out. I even have trouble getting to my phone or wallet.

I'm skinny and wear clothes that are quite fitting. A pickpocket will invariably go for the loosest looking pocket, irrespective of front/rear/zipped/buttoned/stapled/superglued/velcroed or whatever.

So if you're a larger guy who must wear loose fittings pants/shorts, beware because you are the obvious victims. Whatever pocket you put your stuff in, it will generally be a loose pocket as compared to somebody carrying less weight.

I do not have anywhere in my normal day to day life that would be so dangerous as to go to this extent.

Where the Hell do you walk after dark?

If I go into a crowded market, I put my wallet in my front pants pocket. I am very sensitive to hands that reach "down there" and thus will be instantly alerted to a grope. w00t.gif

My Manhattan (that is in New York City) strategy is to wind a few twenties around my bare ankle and pull my sock over them. Then, when asked for all my money, I can take off both shoes to show empty. Frustrates the dickens out of the street bad boys.thumbsup.gif

You carry a dummy wallet about with you? Haha, fair play, better safe than sorry I suppose but I wouldn't be arsed with that.

I don't do anything to protect myself from pickpockets.

If I did employ anti-pickpocket tactics, they'd be out the window before long once I'm amply primed with singhas and g&t's.

Once in Vietnam many years ago I pushed money down the front pocket of my jeans.

A group of under teenage kids walked past and all I felt was a tap on that pocket.

Later on I reached into the pocket and the money was gone.

I was unhappy of course but to get that money out of a tight jeans front pocket and for me to hardly feel it must have taken some skill.

Not to worry you unnecessarily but the fine art of pickpocketing has now been reduced to a sharp blow over the head with a blunt instrument.

Seems like the kids don't want to learn a proper trade anymore. I blame it on smartphones.

Your first sentence, surely not where there are people around, I have never heard of anyone who is not drunk and minding their own business being hit in a busy street with a blunt instrument.

Go to duckduckgo dot com and look up the names of Chris Channon on Koh Lipe and American Jonathan Mark Lemley, 28,on Phuket, who was found in a coma on Karon beach. Possum1931, the youth of today do not waste time on exchanging pleasantries with you before mugging you. They can and also do just plunge a knife into you first then snatch or kick you off your motorbike while you are ridding it, then snatch your stash. Be careful out there.

• Like 1

Be aware of "PUSH POCKETS"

A mobile phone or wallet is placed into your pocket and the the perpetrator will approach you and say, " you have stolen my wallet"

With a corrupt police person nearby you can imagine the scenario.

Also O.P. try to avoid carrying that decoy wallet with paper in it. Put a little amount of cash in it instead. The thief will then be satisfied that they took something from you.

• Like 1

Not to worry you unnecessarily but the fine art of pickpocketing has now been reduced to a sharp blow over the head with a blunt instrument.

Seems like the kids don't want to learn a proper trade anymore. I blame it on smartphones.

I agree with ATF.. I lived in Buenos Aires where the fine art of pick pocketing is alive and well. Through deperation virtually half the people in BsAs are suspects. Every time I put my hand in my pocket someone's hand was there. Do not carry a wallet. Look through your wallet and see how much useless crap you're carrying around. Carry your driver's license in your car or motorbike where you need it. I carry my cash in my front pocket, I carry a small laminated copy of my passport and reverse side visa extension. I buy pants with zippered pockets if I can find them. North face has some and I found some really nice zippered pants in China. I wouldn't bother with the sock thing as everybody in the bar sees you diving into your sock at checkout time. A thousand baht is no big deal to lose. In BsAs they now just drive up next to you on a bike and point a 9mm at you. Let's hope it doesn't come to that here. Edited by Timebandit

Your first sentence, surely not where there are people around, I have never heard of anyone who is not drunk and minding their own business being hit in a busy street with a blunt instrument.

Go to duckduckgo dot com and look up the names of Chris Channon on Koh Lipe and American Jonathan Mark Lemley, 28,on Phuket, who was found in a coma on Karon beach. Possum1931, the youth of today do not waste time on exchanging pleasantries with you before mugging you. They can and also do just plunge a knife into you first then snatch or kick you off your motorbike while you are ridding it, then snatch your stash. Be careful out there.

Good post, I hope everyone reading this topic will take heed, no matter what country they are in.

• Like 1

I always keep my money, never more than about 2000 Baht, down my sock.

And if they find no money on you (and are not amused to find the wallet stuffed with paper), they may throw in a couple more sharp blows for free.

At least if they've read this thread they'll know to check your socks first.

I also carry an old wallet stuffed with paper in my front pocket as a decoy, and there has never been any attempt to steal it that I know of.

So do you figure the "decoy" is working its magic or that maybe the actual threat of pickpockets isn't quite as great as it is in your imagination?

• Like 1

The one and only time I was nearly pickpocketed was in - you guessed - it Walking Street.

I had the standard issue cargoe shorts on.....wallet in the front pocket.

I felt the hand and slapped it away.

This absolutely gorgeous creature keeps walking in front of me - ladyboy alert of course.

I mumbled <deleted> thieving ladyboy , as you do, but she turned and gave me the most indignant look and sniffed "I have pussy" ..tossed her head and kept walking.

Funniest thing I have seen in a long time.

I always carry my wallet in the back pocket.

I was fed up, women pinching my bum, so I decided to put it there as an obstacle.

but they are clever these women.

They started pinching me on the other side.

Ahhhhhhh........why am I soooooooo hansum?

They say if you are in bed with two girls it is a two some, one girl in your bed equals a one some. When you don't have any girls in your bed its a handsome. Now you know why the girls call you hansum.

• Like 2

I place a normal 12cm men's hair comb in the fold of my wallet and another comb under the flap of my phone case. Rubber band is then wrapped one each around wallet and phone case.

Comb teeth catch the pocket lining and lip. Rubber bands provide friction. Wallet and phone are in a single front pocket - easier to protect.

Be aware of "PUSH POCKETS"

A mobile phone or wallet is placed into your pocket and the the perpetrator will approach you and say, " you have stolen my wallet"

With a corrupt police person nearby you can imagine the scenario.

Also O.P. try to avoid carrying that decoy wallet with paper in it. Put a little amount of cash in it instead. The thief will then be satisfied that they took something from you.

That's true, but if anyone tries to steal from me. I want to hurt them as much as possible.

I tried staying at home after loosing my gold necklace to a passing motorcycle taxi driver...sent the little lady out for booze and snacks...

Was always relaxed with Thais that came to visit the gf...until my cell phone took missing...This is Thailand...