Does getting a new passport clear your visa history?

I've seen multiple people on here report if you get too many tourist visas you'll receive a red stamp which denies you future tourist visas. I've also seen people explain how they got too many back to back at a specific location and were verbally denied and told to leave. Having a passport book filled up with tourist visas seems to be a bad thing these days.

If one was to go back home or to a home embassy in a nearby country and get a new passport ( claim the passport lost, or simply renew the passport ) would that "erase" your history? When you renew a passport (USA) they send you back a blank one with a new ID in it.

a friend of mine tried entering Thailand on a new Passport with a Visa, but due to him being blacklisted before he was refused entry and sent back to the UK.

-----------------------------

Now that everything is on computer getting a "new" passport does NOT "clear your history".

Not all border immigration posts have total access to your computer records, but there is usually at least a supervisor who does have some access.

Nowadays your records are all available on a computer database.

If you were once blacklisted, they will have access to your record, a new passport won't help you evade the computer database.

To the people who are authorized access, everything is keyed on your name, and if they are allowed access also on that picture they routinely take now as you enter the country.

No it will not.

What do think they have computers for.

Btw. do you know what happens when you claim an American passport lost.

U.S., U.K., most Euro counties ...... they do a Biometrics match on you when you apply for a new passport for your "lost:" passport nowadays;

They do a photo biometrics match on you now when you apply for a new passport.

That's one of the methods they use to catch criminals and potential terrorists trying to re-enter their home country under a new name.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I'm not talking about people who are terrorist, criminals, or blacklisted from the country. I'm talking only about "re-setting" the tourist visa allowance at various embassies and consulates. I had assumed what ubonjoe mentioned in that they will open your blank passport book and figure it's all good.

No it will not.

Yeah, don't claim it as lost.

Give it a cycle or two thru a washing machine & blame it on your wife.

That way you've got a damaged passport instead of an "unaccounted for" passport.

Edited by jaywalker

a friend of mine tried entering Thailand on a new Passport with a Visa, but due to him being blacklisted before he was refused entry and sent back to the UK.

-----------------------------

Now that everything is on computer getting a "new" passport does NOT "clear your history".

Not all border immigration posts have total access to your computer records, but there is usually at least a supervisor who does have some access.

Nowadays your records are all available on a computer database.

If you were once blacklisted, they will have access to your record, a new passport won't help you evade the computer database.

To the people who are authorized access, everything is keyed on your name, and if they are allowed access also on that picture they routinely take now as you enter the country.

You can also attach your old passport to the new one. At least with US passports you can.

When the announced plans for fingerprinting and photographing (biometric) all foreigners than all the above will fail.

It was so easy to slip through in the past.

Did also apply to Thais that were deported from a European country and could do a simple cheap first name change and could reenter easily.

(although their unique citizen ID keeps unchanged but not checked at the border checkpoints)

Long gone.

I'm not talking about people who are terrorist, criminals, or blacklisted from the country. I'm talking only about "re-setting" the tourist visa allowance at various embassies and consulates. I had assumed what ubonjoe mentioned in that they will open your blank passport book and figure it's all good.

NO NO NO

NO NO NO

Yes a new passport does eliminate your history of getting visas at embassies and consulates.

It will not do away with a persons previous history of entries on immigration data base.

It does not clear your history. Your name is in the computer. Like coming into Thailand they will see it is new passport and punch your name in, all visits are logged into your details.

From what I understand there are not enough information fields in the immigration database to make a sure an update of new passport is attributed to the correct record. When your passport is swiped there appears a lot more information on the screen than you see in your passport such as your previous passport number which is flagged as an update to an existing record.

There is a fault I'm not fully telling because it would be unethical and also against forum rules.

A new passport can certainly look better when you present it and that could have a positive effect in LoS.

It looked for a while that there may be a tourist visa clampdown of some sort but in the end it was only directed at visa exempt entries. The initial statements certainly included tourist visas in the mix but seems like it was poor wording. Happens all the time here with VOA and visa exempt.

No it will not.

That way you've got a damaged passport instead of an "unaccounted for" passport.

Why would you do this? You can get a new passport anytime you want. The US embassy does not require your passport to be full in order to get a new one.

• Like 2

If in UK. Deed poll name change and you are sorted. If you was say blacklisted for example. New passport and driving licence. Etc etc. That will not stay like that once biometrics is compulsory. IMHO.

Previous name (if any) and previous PP no. has been on all new UK passports for more than 5 years.

If in UK. Deed poll name change and you are sorted. If you was say blacklisted for example. New passport and driving licence. Etc etc. That will not stay like that once biometrics is compulsory. IMHO.

Do you think authorities in the UK are that dumb that the old and new names and passports are not somehow linked together ?

Think about what your writing any self respecting terrorist living the UK could change their name from Mohammed to John to evade watch lists

I don't know if its true or not but was told there is some coding in the machine readable passport which tells an immigration officer that a person has been issued a passport in another name at some point, it may not give them the details but tells them you have

I don't know if its true or not but was told there is some coding in the machine readable passport which tells an immigration officer that a person has been issued a passport in another name at some point, it may not give them the details but tells them you have

It flags name change which is quite common after marriage.

Fresh passport can help but not eradicate everything.

I have been pulled for question at Suvarnabhumi mainly due to fact exit stamp from hongkong could not be seen so scanning through passport made him see all old visas & he handed over to a supervisor. having looked at the screen at the counters as was standing at side of counter at supervisors counter they don't seem have that much data available easily & we headed over to the questioning area & it took him a good 20 minutes to get a printout of my entry/exit history, even with that he had overlooked fact I had spent 3 months in my home country prior to current visa & once had established that as fact he fast tracked me through a spare counter.

Passport can make a big difference but like everything here it depends on the day & the officer too.

• Like 1

Fresh passport can help but not eradicate everything.

I have been pulled for question at Suvarnabhumi mainly due to fact exit stamp from hongkong could not be seen so scanning through passport made him see all old visas & he handed over to a supervisor. having looked at the screen at the counters as was standing at side of counter at supervisors counter they don't seem have that much data available easily & we headed over to the questioning area & it took him a good 20 minutes to get a printout of my entry/exit history, even with that he had overlooked fact I had spent 3 months in my home country prior to current visa & once had established that as fact he fast tracked me through a spare counter.

Passport can make a big difference but like everything here it depends on the day & the officer too.

Wise words.

I think Joe's point along with others is that though you still may gat a visa from somewhere stamped into your new passport but that does not mean that much of your history is not on file or easily available if you try to enter the Kingdom.

Yeap i would think so, and would the same logic apply to someone who has changed their name by deem poll, if in the case of male, wouldn't immigration be asking why one had changed their name ?

Yeap i would think so, and would the same logic apply to someone who has changed their name by deem poll, if in the case of male, wouldn't immigration be asking why one had changed their name ?

Thai immigration?

No it will not.

Why would you do this? You can get a new passport anytime you want. The US embassy does not require your passport to be full in order to get a new one.

In 2013 I mistakenly thought my passport (US) was expiring in 8 months and applied for a new one. I received my new pp and the old one was returned with holes in the front cover. It was then I realized there was one more year on the old one, not to mention many empty added extra pages.*

A dumb mistake and waste of money but absolutely no problem.

* $80 for extra pages, a ten minute job, is over the top. $50 for notarization is also ridiculous, it's $10 at any UPS or FedEx shop in the US. I realize it has to be done at the embassy for my income affidavit but $50?

No it will not.

In an attempt to prevent my ability to travel to Thailand, my ex-wife burned my passport. I went to the local county clerk's office, explained the passport had been lost. They filled out the application, made a note of the status, and applied. When I got the new passport, it had a note typed on one of the last pages stating that this passport was a replacement for a lost passport. I presume this note was for some specific reason, but I do not know what it would be. I believe the new passport even the same ID number as the lost passport. But when I that passport expired, and I was issued a new passport, the new passport has a new ID number.