Deficit budget is needed to stimulate the economy

Deficit budget is needed to stimulate the economy

1-17-2015-10-29-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- It is necessary to maintain deficit budget for 2016 fiscal year as the government plans to invest as much as 534 billion baht or 20 percent of the budget for development projects in order to stimulate the economy, said Deputy Prime Minister M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula Saturday.

Revenue collection is projected to total 2.33 trillion baht whereas total expenditure is estimated at 2.72 trillion baht leaving a deficit of 390 billion baht compared to 250 billion baht in deficit a year earlier.

However, the deputy prime minister said that the projected budgetary deficit is still within the 20 percent ceiling of the expenditure.

He pointed out that the revenue budget for 2016 fiscal year estimated at 2.33 trillion baht is as much as the 2015 revenue budget of 2.32 trillion baht but actual revenue collection for 2015 has fallen short of projection.

Echoing M.R. Pridiyathorn’s emphasis for the need of deficit budget, Finance Minister Sommai Phasee said that it is still necessary to keep stimulating the economy as the government has to bear more investment for development, more debt repayment and more spending on health care and education.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/deficit-budget-needed-stimulate-economy

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-18

The middle class is going to wish the Pheu Thai Party was back in office once they see next year tax bill.

Well, with all those non-profit giveaway self-serving populist schemes under Thaksin, which people will still be paying for for years to come, I think most people would understand the need for the deficit. At least, those with more than one brain cell will.

The middle class is going to wish the Pheu Thai Party was back in office once they see next year tax bill.

Well, with all those non-profit giveaway self-serving populist schemes under Thaksin, which people will still be paying for for years to come, I think most people would understand the need for the deficit. At least, those with more than one brain cell will.

I guess you missed this part of the story:
"He pointed out that the revenue budget for 2016 fiscal year estimated at 2.33 trillion baht is as much as the 2015 revenue budget of 2.32 trillion baht but actual revenue collection for 2015 has fallen short of projection."
To simplify this for the fans of the ruling military junta, the budget proposed by the ruling military junta is slightly more than that proposed in last year's budget when the previous administration was in office. The deficit comes about because tax collections are less than the amount that the ruling military junta proposes spending....not surprising, given the tailspin the Thai economy has been in since the ruling military junta seized power.
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Can you ever rebuff a post here without throwing out one of your insults.

"He pointed out that the revenue budget for 2016 fiscal year estimated at 2.33 trillion baht is as much as the 2015 revenue budget of 2.32 trillion baht but actual revenue collection for 2015 has fallen short of projection."
To simplify this for the fans of the ruling military junta, the budget proposed by the ruling military junta is slightly more than that proposed in last year's budget when the previous administration was in office. The deficit comes about because tax collections are less than the amount that the ruling military junta proposes spending....not surprising, given the tailspin the Thai economy has been in since the ruling military junta seized power.

And you've taken into account also all the infrastructure developments and other improvements that are being undertaken I assume?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes.

Yes.

Then try starting now to do it.

I will start by being generous to the supporters of the ruinous populist policies of the Thaksin crew and allocate them at least two brain cells.

• Like 1

Yes.

see post #9 ... no insults, just a question ... is that OK with you?

i wonder if you throw your insults around in person. or just a online bully.

And you've taken into account also all the infrastructure developments and other improvements that are being undertaken I assume?

I don't really have to "take into account" anything....I don't write the budget for Thailand.

On the other hand, you apparently now have decided that it's not the "non-profit giveaway blah blah blah" that is causing a deficit but the "infrastructure developments and other improvements" proposed by the ruling military junta that are causing it.

Bottom line: ruling military junta proposes spending more than estimated tax revenue. That's what causes a budgetary deficit. Many governments do that when the economy sucks....but the ruling military junta owns this deficit for the year 2016, it's not some historical remnant of administrations past.

You asked for responses without insults, and you've received them.

If you think however that the way I post here is "bullying" you or anyone else, please feel free to avail yourself of the "block" or "report to mods" options that are available to you and anyone else here.

As you seem to be implying that I am indeed a "bully" however in your last post, is that not an insult to myself that you are making now? Or does it only go one way?

And to answer your question, I just say things as I see them, on here and in real life. How people take those responses is then entirely up to them. They can agree, disagree, like, dislike, get upset or do whatever they want.

Bottom line: ruling military junta proposes spending more than estimated tax revenue. That's what causes a budgetary deficit. Many governments do that when the economy sucks....but the ruling military junta owns this deficit for the year 2016, it's not some historical remnant of administrations past.

On this we have no argument.

If you think however that the way I post here is "bullying" you or anyone else, please feel free to avail yourself of the "block" or "report to mods" options that are available to you and anyone else here.

As you seem to be implying that I am indeed a "bully" however in your last post, is that not an insult to myself that you are making now? Or does it only go one way?

And to answer your question, I just say things as I see them, on here and in real life. How people take those responses is then entirely up to them. They can agree, disagree, like, dislike, get upset or do whatever they want.

You just don't get it your comments about having one cell brain was an insult. Just because you didn't like my remark. Blocking you do not stop the insults coming from you. I am sure I am not the only one you do this to. I think I have to go in another direction to stop this from you.

You just don't get it your comments about having one cell brain was an insult. Just because you didn't like my remark. Blocking you do not stop the insults coming from you. I am sure I am not the only one you do this to. I think I have to go in another direction to stop this from you.

Then in the interests of unity, reconciliation and happiness for all, I shall (try to) refrain from posting anything that might be considered insulting to anyone or anything in future.

If it wasn't for the excesses of the PTP rice scheme, deficit spending for stimulus wouldn't be necessary.

False. The 2016 budget - with the deficit - is a stand alone event that is separate from previous years' budgets. In other words, it isn't cumulative.

Deficits are in a particular year; if the country runs enough annual deficits (more than it runs annual surpluses) then it accumulates a national debt which is the cumulative effect of spending more as a nation than the tax revenue collected.

Edited by Diplomatico

If it wasn't for the excesses of the PTP rice scheme, deficit spending for stimulus wouldn't be necessary.

What country in the world operates with a balanced budget? Noooobodddy

A country with a balanced budget would have the standard of living of its people rise substantially.

Hence it has to be avoided at all costs..............................lol.

Even though the NCPO authorized government funds for the biggest project - the dual rail system to China - it chose instead to borrow funds from the Chinese. That's called deficit spending.

Nothing wrong with budget deficit, the only FEW problems are those projects would be worked on by foreign labor while lazy thai farmers continue to demand hand outs.

Tourism wil not be rebounding nor wil exports .

It's calked recession and financial crisis, no different to the rest of the world .

Time to accept it and acknowledge it and start to plan for future of the country instead of trying to please farmers who will always remain poor, due to laziness mainly

Deficit spending and printing gobs of baht to throw at the Thai business community is a dead end street...

This will end badly...can go on for a short while...then implode....watch the US, Japan, and Europe for what happens when this Ponzi scheme comes to an end...

Probably in the next two years...the shxt-will-hit-the-fan in these countries who have bought time by deficit spending...making the end game so much worse for their populations...

False. The 2016 budget - with the deficit - is a stand alone event that is separate from previous years' budgets. In other words, it isn't cumulative.

Deficits are in a particular year; if the country runs enough annual deficits (more than it runs annual surpluses) then it accumulates a national debt which is the cumulative effect of spending more as a nation than the tax revenue collected.

Oh, then there will be no expenditures in any way related to the rice scheme in 2016?

Why do politicians in all countries feel that spending more than you take in is a good thing for governments, but if we as individuals, live beyond our means, we are reckless and foolish since we can't manage our finances ?

It's not that they feel that it's a good thing for the government - they know better. But it IS a good thing for THEM. All that spending, all those programs, all those handouts ... are what gets them re-elected. Populist pandering writ large. Simple and time-tested.