How to stream tv programs using a vpn

I know I am brain dead when it comes to tech stuff and unfortunately rely on your generous help to get me started, but I know nothing about vpn and once you sign on to a vpn how do you stream live programs from Australian tv.

I have signed up to a vpn suppplier which has servers in oz, but I have no idea where to go from there. can you HELP!!!!?

OP, a VPN will slow down your connection. Why not just connect directly with no VPN?

Because many tv and video services will not allow you to view media when your IP shows an international address. Using an IP masking service allows you to "fool" the service into thinking you are actually in another country. Yes it will slow the connection but, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

• Like 1

OP, a VPN will slow down your connection. Why not just connect directly with no VPN?

Because many tv and video services will not allow you to view media when your IP shows an international address. Using an IP masking service allows you to "fool" the service into thinking you are actually in another country. Yes it will slow the connection but, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Why won't they allow you to view the media when your IP shows an international address?

Edited by mesquite

Why won't they allow you to view the media when your IP shows an international address?

Because some media suppliers are wary of countries that do not honor or enforce copyright laws adequately.

Welcome to Thailand.

That is correct so you need to fool the system by using an Aus IP.

You only get something like this BBC UK without using a VPN

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/watch_outside_uk

Edit: ITV Player UK is no problem can view with or without a VPN

Edited by ignis

Because some media suppliers are wary of countries that do not honor or enforce copyright laws adequately.

Welcome to Thailand.

So the websites in question are essentially blocked in Thailand, and the VPN is a way to bypass that?

Edited by mesquite

So the websites in question are essentially blocked in Thailand, and the VPN is a way to bypass that.

No not Thailand, is blocked everywhere outside of that Country

Edit:

Something like this site ThaiVisa, it loads much faster if using a VPN via Singapore

Edited by ignis

Here is an example on why individual networks (not countries) do what they do.

The BBC produces a program. It sells the rights to Australia, but not New Zealand or India.

If it was open viewership, those countries who haven't 'bought the rights' would be able to watch the program.

Ditto for Sports events.

So you will be blocked based on the country you are in. Not a universal rule, but widely applied.

Also as the member above writes, blocked for all countries apart form the country of origin.

ok that sounds easy how do you do this? as I say I am not tech savy

The BBC produces a program. It sells the rights to Australia, but not New Zealand or India.

If it was open viewership, those countries who haven't 'bought the rights' would be able to watch the program.

Ditto for Sports events.

So you will be blocked based on the country you are in. Not a universal rule, but widely applied.

Also as the member above writes, blocked for all countries apart form the country of origin.

yes i tried to access channel 7 for afl and they say only for users inside australia

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto for Sports events.

yes i tried to access channel 7 for afl and they say only for users inside australia

Hi jewell49,

If you are watching through web browser or handheld device, free service such as Hola should be adequate (don't forget to change country to Australia before enter a website).

Otherwise, in general Smart DNS is much faster than VPN for streaming media. However, be aware that some ISPs in Thailand began to implement “DNS Hijacking” which would cease Smart DNS to work. Most DNS/VPN providers have 7 days free trial, so you can test it out whether it works with your ISP. You can find comparison table for these services at smartdnsservice.net and vpn.directory. Many of these providers provide config screen or app where you can change location of our server in a click.

If you want to watch Australian programs through your living room TV. Apple TV seems to be the best choice with many Apps for streaming Australian TV.

XBMC on an android set top box could also add add-on called "CatchUpTV AU Plugins" which can stream the following channels (note that stability and availability of XBMC channel is not guarantee)

ABC iView | ABC News | AFL Video | Ninemsn Jump-in | NRL Video | Plus7 | SBS CatchUp TV | TENplay

Hope this helps

Hey Jewell49,

Let's see if we can simplify this for you.

If you were in Australia, and you:

Had a few website address that had streaming media (either free or paid subscription) that played on your laptop

Had a game console with an app/program that could get streamed content

Had a dedicated iptv box acted like a cable box but worked over the Internet

...and took these items out of Australia with you while you were in another country -- most likely they would NOT WORK because, due to "program rights management" the service providers prevent them from being viewed from locations outside their licensed territories.

...but, being savvy, you subscribed to a service that made it 'look' like you are still in Australia (as far as their geo-location technology can detect). So now your devices have a chance to work even from this new distance.

The are many 'techniques' to get around geo-location detection. Some are free, many are paid but proven. Some work everywhere, others work only given the right circumstances.

...and there are even services available where someone else has already taken the programming and they redistribute without the geo-location restrictions, so you don't have to deal with that issue.

I use a VPN for Netflix, Hulu, and Pandora all the time.

Very useful.

If you are cheap you can get free VPN 's that are extensions to your browser. One is Hola and explained at www.hola.org

I am told that Hulu now blocks VPN's. Check It and let me know. It is blocking mine and their technical support said they now block all VPN's.

Very useful.

If you are cheap you can get free VPN 's that are extensions to your browser. One is Hola and explained at www.hola.org

I am told that Hulu now blocks VPN's. Check It and let me know. It is blocking mine and their technical support said they now block all VPN's.
used it last night

OP, if you have family or friends in Australia, preferably with an unlimited internet connection (if not - you may consider contributing to the upgrade) you can buy a device called a Slingbox.

The Slingbox is in Australia, at your relative's or friend's home, plugged into their modem. You then use a TV aerial splitter, one side to their TV, and one side to your Slingbox. Then, it's an easy set up through the Slingbox company webpage.

If they have a pay tv box with movie channels and sports channels, you can plug this into your Slingbox and get those channels as well.

The Slingbox company buffer the stream so even if the internet in Thailand is not fast, you still get a picture that you can watch.

There are no monthly fees and they are not expensive to buy. There is no need for a VPN, you dial straight into your slingbox from anywhere. You turn it on and off and change the channels with a virtual remote control. There is no disruption to the TV service of the people in Australia.

It's the best tech gadget I have bought for a while.

http://www.slingbox.com/

Edited by KhunHeineken

Very useful.

used it last night

Thanks. I will re-chat with the VPN provider.