Land with Chanote but no access

I was shown 24 rai of land with a pond on it that is used for fish farming , the pond covers about 2rai

It is a nice piece of land it is in suphanburi .

The price seemed to good to be true when I seen the pictures I had to ask my self what is up .

Then I found out there is no actual road to get to the property and it is surrounded by other property that would need permission to cross to get to the land .

The owner said no problem the other people know they pass on there land to get to her property

I see a problem with this because if the other land owners decide one day u don't have permission then what do u do I asked .

My question would be can they refuse access after so many years , there is like a foot path to the property and has any other poster come across this before ?

Thanks in advance

It is my understanding that the neighbours cannot block reasonable access to your property, particularly if it has been in use for many years.

If worried I would discuss with the neighbour about getting the access rights noted on both his and your Chanote (there's a proper name for this which escapes me), possibly with an associated payment for those rights.

We actually bought a 4x8m chunk from the neighbour to allow access to our plot just for my peace of mind.

I like your advice I will look at that as an option

Thanks

It is my understanding that the neighbours cannot block reasonable access to your property, particularly if it has been in use for many years.

If worried I would discuss with the neighbour about getting the access rights noted on both his and your Chanote (there's a proper name for this which escapes me), possibly with an associated payment for those rights.

We actually bought a 4x8m chunk from the neighbour to allow access to our plot just for my peace of mind.

I like your advice I will look at that as an option

Thanks

Its called an easement .....ie legal right to ingress and egress (to use). Talk to the neighbor about acquiring a 4 meter easement (enough for a small road) for a fee or just buy from the neighbor a small chunk of land as Crossy did for access to the land. Talk to a lawyer if that doesn't work as by law landlocked property is entitled to an easement.

• Like 1

I would be very careful. I was reading a sponsored post by a Thai legal firm on thaivisa a few months back and they mentioned a similar story. A business bought cheap land but the seller sneakly sold with keeping a hold of access, Property was built by the new owner but then had to pay another 30 mil to buy extra ( tiny amount Im sure) land to gain access. His fault for not checking, that was the jist of it.

Like previous poster said, if people has been passing through that land for a number of years, by law in Thailand they will have to continue to let you use that road. Same goes for squatters on other people's land, if they have been squatting for something like 10 years, even if its your land you cannot make them leave.

For ease of mind, I would suggest you buy a small road from the neighbor to your land, never buy the land then negotiate the road, your neighbors will ripe you off. Negotiate both at the same time.

Bekieve the easement is called a superficies.

FYI a neighbour .....who already had access....but poor.....had a three metre access driveway awarded against wife's mum last month despite opposing it with a lawyer and it not being used in the 17 years of the chanot. (He DID have to replace the sq m by giving land from their common border, due for registration soon)

Nevertheless.....tread carefully especially when it can be shown you know what you're buying.

Edited by cheeryble

I believe you have to give access but the clincher is they can charge you what they like for that access .................I have a neighbour trying to access his land thru ours, hes a real git, weve said no and so have all the other neighbours............or we can say yes for 250k which is more than the lands worth.