Poll: Discover Thainess campaign can boost tourism

Lite Beer

Whoever heard of staging a tourism campaign in the destination country? Heck, the tourists are already there. It's like a hotel owner in KK once bragged about his campaign to advertise on tuk-tuks, until grade-school logic pointed out that by the time anybody could read the ads they were already in KK and had a hotel.

This show of farce is more about justifying their TAT existence and budget than attracting tourists to Thailand, similar to TAT's expensive tourism magazine printed in Thai language only and distributed in LOS. This is akin to a hotel owner advertising to his kids and employees that are already at the hotel. The goal of rational professional tourism ministries is to generate incremental inbound arrivals, not take special interest in domestic travel that only shifts crony wealth and does zero for the national economy.

Edited by arrowsdawdle

Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-chas idea that Thai peoples friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

Why does this myth persist?

I flew back on Thai Airways last Thursday 15th from Melbourne. The plane was totally empty and everyone had a whole 3 seats to themselves to lay down. I doubt that those on board were all heading to Thailand either as it was a partnership flight b/w Thai, Turkey and Austria Airways.

Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-chas idea that Thai peoples friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

I flew back on Thai Airways last Thursday 15th from Melbourne. The plane was totally empty and everyone had a whole 3 seats to themselves to lay down. I doubt that those on board were all heading to Thailand either as it was a partnership flight b/w Thai, Turkey and Austria Airways.

Oh no, you must be wrong because anybody that enters Thai air space gets counted as a tourism arrival.

Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-cha’s idea that Thai people’s friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

Because of the truth behind it. Does not a con man or thief attempt to put potential victims at ease before waging his deed?

I meant the claim that Thais are more friendly and smile more than other nationalities.

Since returning to the States after seven years in the LOS, I see more smiles from strangers, all genuine, in one day, than I did in a month in Thailand.

Nearly all of them agree with PM Prayut Chano-cha’s idea that Thai people’s friendliness and ready smiles are the easiest way to make tourists feel comfortable.

Because of the truth behind it. Does not a con man or thief attempt to put potential victims at ease before waging his deed?

I meant the claim that Thais are more friendly and smile more than other nationalities.

Since returning to the States after seven years in the LOS, I see more smiles from strangers, all genuine, in one day, than I did in a month in Thailand.

You sure you did not left your zip open?

Or put on a new Chinese make-up brand?

I'm still unclear on who exactly they are targeting when having these "discover this" and "happiness that" events ... the one in Lumpini for example, who was this for? Tourists that are already here? Was it advertised/promoted outside of Thailand at all? Or was there something at the airport for incoming travellers to let them know something interesting would be happening?

If the idea is to encourage tourists to come here to view these wonderful "events" and "parades" and "thainess", then they need to get the message out to people who are not already IN Thailand anyway.

I was confused by who exactly the target audience was at the Thai Travel Fair, or whatever it was called, at Lumphini Park. I saw Thais, expats, and tourists, but mostly Thais, of course.

The event was nice, but what exactly made it a "travel fair?" I saw no agents for such travel plans. I guess we "travelled" to each region via their food, dance, or clothes. If I were just visiting Thailand, I'd want more of that kind of event. I went both days with my family and it was nice. But I live here, just down the road from Lumphini Park, and we stumbled upon it by accident. How is a tourist who is just off the plane to know about such an event? Perhaps that ridiculous term 'Thainess' has the answer.

• Like 1

Chooka, it might be due to the airline combo you mention. JetStar with their large capacity afternoon departure dreamliner flights to Bangkok have been at least 95% full on all five mid-week flights I've taken in the past year. Had some friends on the same flight come over recently and it was the same for them. You can often get a ticket for less than $300 one way, even when booking only a few weeks out. When I've looked at Thai Airways I've never been able to get close to the JetStar price.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai people’s environmental conservation..............

Can somebody, please ask my neighbours to stop lighting fires all day?

Can somebody ask the Thais not to throw their rubbish wherever is convenient for them?

Can somebody ask the Thais to check their car exhausts so they don't choke me?

Can somebody ask the Thais to stop cutting every tree around me so to make charcoal?

Can somebody ask the Thais to reduce the noise level coming out from their huge speakers?

Can somebody ask the Thais.........too many questions to ask........no answers to be received..........

Why bother when the Prayut government is going to build seven coal-fired power plants within the next five years and permit a potash strip mine that will out pollute anything on your list? When you promise to lead by example, you have to have good examples.

Costas, the answer is go back to your country.

Next!

What an idiotic comment. Though perhaps you feel that you have surpassed yourself.

How is that an idiotic statement? If you don't like the place and have so many grievances, then leave. I guess it is idiotic because you, karate kid, cannot leave. You are running from the law in your homeland, or have a menial general labor job at home. Now wake up and go for a long swim...one way.

Costas, the answer is go back to your country.

Next!

What an idiotic comment. Though perhaps you feel that you have surpassed yourself.

Well, Jujube Boy, you need to tell the two ladyboys you are servicing to wait a moment. Then, drink a few dozen large coffees. Now, keep quiet and listen: if a Thai goes to your country and complains about everything being done differently than Thailand, is your country going to change everything to satisfy the Thai? No! Your fellow citizens would tell the person if they don't like it; pack up and go home. It works both ways, kid. Why should Thailand change everything to satisfy one &lt;deleted&gt; from the UK? Like the Europeans are clamoring about with Islamic immigrants: integrate or leave. Same-same. Now go practice your jujitsu.

NEXT!

Thai people’s environmental conservation..............

Can somebody, please ask my neighbours to stop lighting fires all day?

Can somebody ask the Thais not to throw their rubbish wherever is convenient for them?

Can somebody ask the Thais to check their car exhausts so they don't choke me?

Can somebody ask the Thais to stop cutting every tree around me so to make charcoal?

Can somebody ask the Thais to reduce the noise level coming out from their huge speakers?

Can somebody ask the Thais.........too many questions to ask........no answers to be received..........

Can somebody ask Costas to move, he's obviously unhappy where he is.

Perhaps somebody should get rid of the problem?

I agree - the truth can velly velly hard to hear .... 5555