Best route to drive from Bangkok to Mukdahan

ChomDo

Hi,

I will be going to Mukdahan next week for my visa renewal in Savannakhet. Does anyone know the best route to drive to Mukdahan from Bangkok? There seem to be a few road options and I would like to take the one with the best road conditions and of course shortest driving time too. Also would there be a place to stop about half way? I can only find hotels in Khorat and then again in Yasothon but not half way.

Any other hints about this drive would be welcome. I will attach the route options below.

Thanks!

Driving to Mukdahan.tiff

I did the route that goes through KK as we actually had to be a bit NW or Mukdahan. We spent the night in KK. Well before dark. There are some hotels on the outskirts of town just in from the highway that skirts town and continues on. It was OK.

Early start and actually ended up visiting the King's summer palace on the way. Absolutely amazing. Worth the visit if you are in the area.

Thanks guys. I was planning on turning east well before Khon Kaen as seen on the map. Maybe I'll just stay over night in Khorat and then just drive more the 2nd day.

Actually I was going to drive back via Ubon and just on that road 24 that kwaibah mentioned about. So you are convinced that it's terrible? I hate trucks as they drive so senselessly and drop stones and waste behind all the time. If this is the case I will for sure avoid that road. How do they drive from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok then, maybe road 226 via Surin and Buriram?

Thanks!

Thanks guys. I was planning on turning east well before Khon Kaen as seen on the map. Maybe I'll just stay over night in Khorat and then just drive more the 2nd day.

Actually I was going to drive back via Ubon and just on that road 24 that kwaibah mentioned about. So you are convinced that it's terrible? I hate trucks as they drive so senselessly and drop stones and waste behind all the time. If this is the case I will for sure avoid that road. How do they drive from Ubon Ratchathani to Bangkok then, maybe road 226 via Surin and Buriram?

Thanks!

Use locals that know this area avoid the 24 like the plaque this time of year advise you do also. Take the 226. Due not get on the 24 tell Nang Rong. Its two lane highway from Nang Rong to Ubon and the cane trucks rule. But if your into whole sell carnage be my guest.

• Like 1

What ever you do avoid the 24 from Nang Rong to Ubon like the plaque. It is a death trap with sugar cane trucks this time of year.

We went from Ubon towards Buriram and the road was definitely busy. Decided to push it a bit and travel after dark. HUGE mistake. Tractors driving on the wrong side of the road with no lights, barriers in the middle of one town that wasn't lit...almost crashed into that one. Even ran off the road by a bus overtaking from the opposite direction. Flashing lights for me to get over. Lovely as we hit a huge pot hole while doing so.

But if you think 24 is bad, try 359. OMG. White knuckle driving even during the day.

Did this trip many years ago, took 202 off Mitrapap Highway (2) about halfway between Korat and Khon Kaen. Keep following this road all the way to Yasothon, there go straight onto 2169 and 212 all the way to Mukdahan. This was a pleasant drive, which we did in one stretch from Bangkok. 202 was/is not a dual carriage way but a local road, this may have (partially) changed and I am sure there is more traffic on that route nowadays as almost everywhere in Thailand. Perhaps somebody has driven that way more recently. Enjoy the journey!

Unless you are looking for a 4 or 5 Star Hotel, I would suggest that you leave hyway #2 and head east towards Maha Sarakhom, then continue thru Kalasin, turn Right at Som Det. and on to Mukdahan... Both Maha Sarakham & Kalasin have decent Hotels and are nice small cities... Just asking in either one and the locals will direct you to the better hotels... From either Maha Sarakham or Kalasin to Mukdahan is only about a 2 to 3 hour drive... If you are in a hurry, you will want to get over the bridge in Lao early morning to submit your paperwork, and lately they have been returning the Passports the same afternoon around 3:PM...

Pianoman

I will be avoiding the road no 24 then. Thanks Khunano for your advice, that is exactly the route I wanted to take (shown on the map I attached earlier). Hope the roads are still good as you described. I was thinking of maybe going trough Maha Sarakhom and Kelasin for an over night stop as Pianoman suggested but will probably stay in Khorat for one day on the way and then drive all the way to Mukdahan the next day. Thanks for the hotel advice tho.

On the way I'll try the 226 instead of 24!

Why not fly into Udon Thani Airport?

Have a car reserved beforehand (Saves a few Baht). then travel to SAVS on your time. The scenery is so much nicer as you get up here!

I have done that trip, fun once, it's just a chore after a while!

This is quick and fun if you can afford it. In the long run you get home and realize what you can do with plane-car-plane trips. Erase 1400 kilos of boring travel. Arrive fresh with a great new car and a fresh"YOU"------you will need. Up north, plenty of nice hotels, along they way----so many waterfalls!

If it's your car avoid the long trip, it's cheaper renting!----------or fly and rent!

It's less than 20.00 US a month keeping your car in a secured car lot at the Airport, includes insurance and a car wash!--11.00 unsecured no car wash. In the USA it costs 35.00 for a car wash!

Fly for 30 bucks and rent a car, With wear and tear it's worth it! PLUS--that is a long haul buddy!

• Like 1

If you want to visit Ubon, drive down the river and turn towards Khemmarat, then drive down the 2050 to Ubon. I was in Mukdahan on Sunday (visa run) I live in Khenmarat and ride around everywhere. Trip is 80k and another 100k down to Ubon. Great road and a different way for you to choose. Then it is easy to get out to the 2 highway and back to Bangkok.

Or you can fly into Ubon and do the same. Rent a car for the day and visa run near Ubon at Chong Mek

Edited by Topdeck
  • Like 1

Careful coming this way out of sunny Bangkok though because it is ice cold in the morning out here bring a jumper, coat long trousers. It's quit a shock hitting 12 degrees with icey northerly winds

• Like 1

Thanks for the flying suggestions but the whole point is that I want to drive my own car there and I'm just pondering which route to take. Driving my own car is pretty cheap now too as the petrol is 25b per liter. Anyway there might be other ways of going to Savannakhet and I have done it all in the past but this time I will try driving myself and seeing some places on the way. Also I am going to Savannakhet for a NON-ED visa so I can't do a run across the border at other locations.

Thank you Topdeck for the advice to drive down the river from Mukdahan to Ubon on road 2050. I was going to take the 212 but if you say 2050 is better, might try that.