insulation from unwanted sound and heat

We intend to build a new house in chiang mai most of the design will be a basic thai one floor. However I want the main bedroom to be as quiet and as cool as possible. Does anyone have suggestions such as special windows or special wall/ceiling material. I believe cork insulates from sound. Please send suggestions

I am doing a new build and sound insulation is critical to me ....for best sound insulation MASS is very important so I am doing double walls with 2 inch foam insulation inside. Windows are 12mm double paned (standard glass is 6-8mm). Ceiling is a single pore concrete slab.with standard roof on top. Doors are SOLID wood doors (not panel doors).

Don't know why but my square meter costs with these added specs is still under 10,000 baht a sq/meter am presently about 85% finished and extremely happy the way the job is progressing.

Whatever you decide .....good luckthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I am doing a new build and sound insulation is critical to me ....for best sound insulation MASS is very important so I am doing double walls with 2 inch foam insulation inside. Windows are 12mm double paned (standard glass is 6-8mm). Ceiling is a single pore concrete slab.with standard roof on top. Doors are SOLID wood doors (not panel doors).

Don't know why but my square meter costs with these added specs is still under 10,000 baht a sq/meter am presently about 85% finished and extremely happy the way the job is progressing.

Very good ideas does the double wall have to be done by builders with experience ie are there any problems that might happen if someone does this who hasn't done it before.

Can the foam insulation deteriate over time

Where in Chiangmai could I get the the materials you have mentioned

many thanks

Very good ideas does the double wall have to be done by builders with experience ie are there any problems that might happen if someone does this who hasn't done it before.

many thanks

Not sure who you are considering to build your house but hopefully they have built house walls before (either the red brick or q-con type ...although q-con is a better heat insulator).....but your builder should be able to do it ....ie same as doing outside walls.

Sound insulation foam I use I got at a Craft store ....1 meter x 1.5 meter panels ...cost 100 baht each.....made out of Styrofoam so won't deteriorate

Just make sure when installed they abutt tightly ...no air gaps. Do outside wall first, then Styrofoam, then inside wall

Don't know about where to get materials in Chiang Mai as I live in the Eastern part of Thailand....but good luck...wai.gif

Edited by beachproperty

Take care if, as you mentioned, you are thinking about using CORK for Insulation.

We lived in Australia for a few years and when we were due to come back, I suggested we buy CORK Floor Tiles, similar to what we had in our house in OZ.

Wife loved the tiles BUT said they would probably attract White Ants/Termites in Chiang Mai.

I'd be interested in what you or anyone else suggests for Roof Insulation?

many thanks

Double block walls are very straight forward, as each course is only 6.0-7.5CM wide (depending on blocks used), and the beam they sit on is 20CM wide. No special engineering or expertise required.

Having done double block walls several times, I can't really see what added benefit stuffing the wall cavity would achieve - it could only help reduce higher frequency sound, which double block already does a superb job of attenuating. As for heat, even double cinder blocks do a very good job with beating that - using QCon for the outer walls and standard red bricks for the inner walls would achieve a result that's pretty hard to better.

After that, you next weak points are the windows, doors and ceilings. As noted by other posters, mass is what matters the most - so use heavy doors, heavy glass, double glazing, and then either use extra-thick gypsum for the ceilings, or the concrete ceiling idea from before.

"Sound insulation foam I use I got at a Craft store ....1 meter x 1.5 meter panels ...cost 100 baht each.....made out of Styrofoam so won't deteriorate"

Using this type of styrofoam is not recommended. It is highly flamable and gives off very toxic fumes when it burns. There is foam insulation available that is properly treated but it costs more, but IMHO worth the expense.

I had a house built 6 years ago and used Polyethylene Insulation rolls above the ceilings. It comes in 10mm and 5mm thick rolls. I bought the 10mm thick rolls and it keeps out 95% of the heat. Here in the summer it gets to 40C outside and the ceiling never gets above 25C. Can buy at Home Pro or most large building supply stores. Also I have heavy curtains with a white reflective material on the window side to keep out heat. Make sure you buy quality widows as a lot of the heat is transferred through the windows.