Eva airways vs Thai airways

jgd1004

I tried most for returns to USA, and settled with EVA for last 10 years or so. Always great service, good arrival and departure times to Seattle. Once a ring slipped off my finger and they went up and found it (and returned it!). Another time agreed to fly thru LA in exchange for free upgrade and they had person waiting for me at arrival to take me to connection. Just wish I could pay for tickets from their site with USD instead of Thai baht (comes out of my US account).

I've flown LHR-BKK on both and EVA are far superior to Thai. Better service, better planes and better prices.

Thai airways could not hold a candle to EVA airlines! EVA is so much better, more professional. more clean, more ontime and far better staff anf airline attendents! I have flown EVA for 19 years and refuse to change!

• Like 1

Ive booked with eva air this morning but through westeast travel and i cant log into eva air 'manage booking' and my mate just booked and said my seat still shows as available. Any idea why anyone?

You can only book your seat within 100 days of your flight departure. If you have booked a seat through WestEast then it will take a while to feed through to EVA website.

If you have booked with a middle name then your first name and surname would read JohnDavid Smith, for example.

I recently booked direct with EVA and was pleasantly surprised that there was no credit card charge and I could book our seats up to 321 days in advance.

• Like 1

Not had the pleasure of flying with Eva. Would be more than happy to but whenever I have been booking, their flights have always been a lot more expensive than Thai (LHR-BKK) Surprised to find everyone saying they are cheaper. I book through Netflights, would that be making a difference?

EVA Nears Top of Global Airline Safety Index, Ranks 3rd Annual AERO International Ranking Scrutinizes 60 Largest Carriers

http://www.evaair.com/en-global/news-releases/2015/top-of-global-airline-safety-index.html

Fly British Airways No 1.........you know it makes sense wink.png

http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/travel/top-10-safest-airlines_1.html

EVA is very good IMO

http://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/14/eva-air

I've flow regularly with both over the last 10 years. If I had to make a choice it would be Eva...Better planes, nicer staff....However I chose Thai over the last few years to get my gold card with them as they were due to have the new 380 airbus, and would have been the only carrier using that plane direct from London to Bkk.....However they decided against it.....So I'll have to put up with the 747s that rattle like mad with the slightest turbulence !

Yes, a commercial jet can certainly fly with one engine. But it is a slower flight with a very real risk of missing connecting flights,

I can assure you without reservation that if a Jet is down to one Engine nobody is going to be the slightest concerned about missing Connecting Flights..........smile.png

Edited by Chivas
  • Like 1

EVA beats Thai hands down IMO for both price and quality.

Book EVA, you will not fly Thai again.

Bang on!

I thought Thai Airways were OK until I tried Eva.

Eva plus = much newer planes, unless you pay the more expensive Thai schedule time flights. The cheaper Thai flights always seem to be on very old and tired 747's

Eva plus= cheaper fares

Eva plus = in my case - free upgrades on several occasions without even asking, turn up at check-in near the time it closes, smartly dressed and if they have overbooked economy which seems to be standard practice nowadays you have a good chance.

Eva minus = they aren't too free and easy with in flight alcoholic beverages - you need to pester them, unlike Thai Airways who are quite happy to ply you with enough to make you unconscious and thus less work for them for the rest of the flight ;-)

I would use EVA first choice every time now - unless I win the lotto and can afford Thai Silk or BA. But even in that case I would prolly still go for EVA 1st class

Quantas have a good rep too but I've heard that they aren't so good coming back from BKK to EU as their planes aren't that well cleaned at the BKK turnaround

I have to agree re Eva.

Thai and Qantas are rubbish when it comes to service.

Emirates, Etihad, Qatar all usually way cheaper than Eva.

I don't usually find them to be way cheaper - cheaper yes usually by around £100 or so. Guess it depends whether you would rather spend anywhere between 3 - 5 hours stopover one way and often a longer period on the return stuck in some Middle Eastern airport. Personally I think it's worth paying that bit extra to get there in 12 hours with no hassle along the way.

• Like 1

Personally I prefer Thai to EVA but that wouldn't stop me using EVA if it was £100 + cheaper

Except on a couple of occasions I've always been able to get EVA for £100+ cheaper. It does rather depend on when you are flying and the effort you are prepared to put in to get that 'cheapest' price ;-)

Not had the pleasure of flying with Eva. Would be more than happy to but whenever I have been booking, their flights have always been a lot more expensive than Thai (LHR-BKK) Surprised to find everyone saying they are cheaper. I book through Netflights, would that be making a difference?

Well in all the many flights I have booked LHR to BKK I cant recall ever having booked through Netflights - which would suggest that they are not the cheapest so yes,I would think that is your problem.

You really do need to spend some proper time online doing some research. Dont just type in 'Cheapest Flights to ******' and only look at the first 2 or 3 hits, and don't bother with those comparison sites - you will always find a better deal elsewhere yourself in my experience - and that goes for everything including car insurance.

It's often worth going to the carrier's own site - you may find for a certain flight that all the travel agents 'cheap' block booking seats are sold out, but the airline itself may be having a slow run on their remaining seats (often better located) and be offering good prices. It's a volatile market and prices can change on a daily basis.

Edited by Shadychris
  • Like 1

Seems pretty unanimous, I also fly EVA - no complaints and they are a reasonable price. It's much better having a direct flight - Etihad etc are cheaper, but for the sake of £100 or so it's not worth the hassle of having a stop over.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Bangkok at the moment having flown in the new business cabin for the first time. I must say I was a bit disappointed. I suppose I expected more luxury after frequenting the older cabin, but I thought it would at least be more comfortable. With the added benefit of a flat bed, you also get less space for your legs and a feeling of confinement. Also, the food was very ordinary. I prebooked my meal and it wasn't nice. However, unless TG bring in PE or lower the price of business, EVA it will be the next time I book.

Edited by tw25rw

It seems like most people are comparing 1st or business classes ive only ever flown economy lol maybe one day I'll get the chance to go 1st class but i just think to myself save the money id rather spend it on having a good time in Thailand. But my main query was about the airline themselves which has been more than answered. I feel safe to know eva are a good airways it was just that i had never heard of them before

• Like 1

Yes, a commercial jet can certainly fly with one engine. But it is a slower flight with a very real risk of missing connecting flights,

Yeah, and if that other engine stops you'll be up there all night. wink.png

Another thing to consider. EVA do a code share with BKK Airways, so if you book your connecting flights at the same time, you can normally send your luggage straight through to your destination airport.

Edited by phetphet

You might want to consider flying via Amsterdam. There's no Air Passenger Duty applied to flights like there is in the UK and you can save yourself £83 (Band C = 4,000 to 6,000 miles).

If you don't mind flying via an airline's hub, you can save significantly on cost with the cheapest tickets starting at €326 return. Here's a screenshot taken from the http://www.ebookers.com site showing flights departing around 10 April.

post-101376-0-41674000-1423055678_thumb.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Slightly off core topic but I'm intrigued to know how one 'celebrates' Songkran. I can understand how one can 'tolerate' or 'suffer', or indeed 'dread' the unruly Farang aspects of the festival but to travel (even by EVA) and celebrate, requires a great deal of comprehension, unless of course the purpose is to spend time with Thai relies to experience the true meaning of Songkran(?).

I don't usually find them to be way cheaper - cheaper yes usually by around £100 or so. Guess it depends whether you would rather spend anywhere between 3 - 5 hours stopover one way and often a longer period on the return stuck in some Middle Eastern airport. Personally I think it's worth paying that bit extra to get there in 12 hours with no hassle along the way.

True about the stopover element, but the inference here that being 'stuck in some Middle Eastern' airport is some kind of hardship is way off track. Most Gulf airports (Kuwait and Dammam are the exceptions perhaps) have brand new concourses with facilities that put to shame many others worldwide.

Just looking at flights from LHR to BKK 9th April to 27th April, thought it would be ridiculously expensive as just before Songkran, but with netflights can get direct flight with Thai Air for £515 (Cheapest Gulf air with minimum stopovers £431)

True about the stopover element, but the inference here that being 'stuck in some Middle Eastern' airport is some kind of hardship is way off track. Most Gulf airports (Kuwait and Dammam are the exceptions perhaps) have brand new concourses with facilities that put to shame many others worldwide.

Yes, but at 2am when I could be sleeping on the plane.. pass... It isn't because the airport isn't nice.

Hello Viewers!

Well i have flown to from London to Bangkok with all of these airlines! ( without wishing to sound " big headed " of course...)

But i have to say that last week i flew to London with Malaysia Airlines on there A380 Air Bus and the service was very impressive! Nice food,polite air hostesses ( and rather pleasing to the eye viewers.....) They gave me a legroom seat without any problem and the landing was as " cool as ice "

Of course i didn't take part in the " Mile High Club " on this particular flight but for an airline that has had a lot of bad luck recently and a one way seat to London for under 14,000 baht it was absolutely excellent!

Greetings from the UK Viewers!

Farang Jaidee wai2.gif

Are you a fully paid up member of " The Mile High Club " viewers.....? x