Littering Police vs Tourists

BoneRanger

It's not a scam, they are BMA officers (not police) empowered to collect fines for littering. I can assure you that Thais are stopped, although very infrequently in the tourist areas. There are plenty of bins (nice, big, bright yellow ones), so really there is no excuse.

Yes, it is a scam, an official one in which only foreign tourists are targeted.

Thai are immune. I lived long enough in Soi 10 to observe the Tessagit bandits operating every day between Soi 8 and Times Square, selecting their victims like killer sharks hunting seals. During that period of some three years I also watched the Thai pimps, Mafia runners and motorsai drivers dispense with their cigarette butts anywhere that took their fancy and on numerous occasions take a piss by Chuvit's Park on the corner of Soi 10., all within sight of the Tessagit scum who ignored the so called anti-littering laws.

Laws like these only apply to foreigners, never Thai. Thai are renown for their racism, that's why foreigners have no rights.

I'm not bitching about it. It's simply a statement of truth. Incidentally, there are no bins between Soi 10 and Times Square but there is a pedestal ashtray which the Tessagit scum conceal behind a tree near their kiosk which they show the hapless victim after he has been scalped. Cynical buggers, really, and have no shame - why would they? We are foreigners and therefore only worth what we can give.

I've lived on Suk. Soi 10 for many years ... and I've walked the Soi 2 to Soi 21 area many many times, and I've yet to notice one of these so called litter police. Not even once. And yet there are commenters here who claim to have seen them many times, and know there every move. We must live in parallel Sukhumvits.

Right there in front of McDonads, on Sukhumvite Road ...directly across from the Landmark Hotel.........everyday for the last 20 years.

They have their little table set up there where the victims bend over and take it up the ass.

If you are in need of a good eye doctor I am certain the other members could recommend one to you.

Cheers

Edited by gemguy

It's not a scam, they are BMA officers (not police) empowered to collect fines for littering. I can assure you that Thais are stopped, although very infrequently in the tourist areas. There are plenty of bins (nice, big, bright yellow ones), so really there is no excuse.

Thai are immune. I lived long enough in Soi 10 to observe the Tessagit bandits operating every day between Soi 8 and Times Square, selecting their victims like killer sharks hunting seals. During that period of some three years I also watched the Thai pimps, Mafia runners and motorsai drivers dispense with their cigarette butts anywhere that took their fancy and on numerous occasions take a piss by Chuvit's Park on the corner of Soi 10., all within sight of the Tessagit scum who ignored the so called anti-littering laws.

Laws like these only apply to foreigners, never Thai. Thai are renown for their racism, that's why foreigners have no rights.

I'm not bitching about it. It's simply a statement of truth. Incidentally, there are no bins between Soi 10 and Times Square but there is a pedestal ashtray which the Tessagit scum conceal behind a tree near their kiosk which they show the hapless victim after he has been scalped. Cynical buggers, really, and have no shame - why would they? We are foreigners and therefore only worth what we can give.

I've lived on Suk. Soi 10 for many years ... and I've walked the Soi 2 to Soi 21 area many many times, and I've yet to notice one of these so called litter police. Not even once. And yet there are commenters here who claim to have seen them many times, and know there every move. We must live in parallel Sukhumvits.

Right there in front of McDonads, on Sukhumvite Road ...directly across from the Landmark Hotel.........everyday for the last 20 years.

They have their little table set up there where the victims bend over and take it up the ass.

If you are in need of a good eye doctor I am certain the other members could recommend one to you.

Cheers

They have a permanent presence outside Benjasiri Park next to Emporium as well.

Always find it amusing the dolts defending the indefensible. Yes, ALL litterers should be fined, but that is not the case. Tourists are being singled out, as usual, because they are seen to have money and are usually quick to pay up without protest. If you can't, or won't, see that, I'd have to say you have probably just arrived and are still in the honeymoon phase or are just being mawkishly defiant for a place that doesn't even really want you within its borders.

Always find it amusing the dolts defending the indefensible. Yes, ALL litterers should be fined, but that is not the case. Tourists are being singled out, as usual, because they are seen to have money and are usually quick to pay up without protest. If you can't, or won't, see that, I'd have to say you have probably just arrived and are still in the honeymoon phase or are just being mawkishly defiant for a place that doesn't even really want you within its borders.

So it's "indefensible" to fine a tourist for littering? I happen to have lived in the area (Benjasiri Park/soi 22) for 10 years and have no problem with litterers being penalised, tourists or not! It's really not difficult to avoid being fined - don't drop litter!

• Like 1

Hi all, I was a victim many years ago and recent trip a year ago same thing happen not to me but I have seen it. Please note that not only westerners are targeted Asian tourist as well ............ if there are dust bin around like in Singapore and many other countries, it is our fault to be fined if we litter.. it is clearly a scam just like others who said it......

I have never been harassed in Chiang Mai, but it can be very difficult to find a trash bin. I usually walk around wearing a small backpack to place discarded wrappers and other objects that I wish to put in the trash when I get home. It sure would be nice to see more trash bins!

You have uncovered another form of "Thainess"...farangs must pay for the littering habits of Thais...This is Thailand...

Foreigners only pay if they drop litter. Which, in my book, is fair enough. It happens in London too. City of Westminster officers can levy on the spot fines for littering, and do.

But don't let me stop those of you who love to shout "scam" at every opportunity!

But those places you mention they stopped everyone who liters not just the tourist. That is the scam. To be fair anyone who liters on Sukhumvit should be stopped and fined not just a select few who they can SCAM 2000 baht from.

Although slightly off topic, when forced to pay a taxi who would not turn on the meter to take me home, I would tell him to wait downstairs because I didn't have enough cash on me. Then slowly walk up to my room, count out the fare in one baht coins and bring that back to him. Nice way to get rid of your coins and piss off a taxi scammer in one go. whistling.gif

Edited by apalink_thailand

Start 'smoking' e-cigs.

Many problems solved.

Nope. They're illegal.

Not yet,,, there WAS talk of them banning the IMPORT of them about a month ago,, About 2 months ago, an e-cig seller I buy from one day had them all covered up, and told me the police had come by and told them not to sell them,, then the very next day, and since then on,, no problem,,, In line with this discussion,, I walk that very area daily, and see them there everyday, and NO, they NEVER have a Thai stopped, always a foreigner,, My guess is they want the e-cigs banned, and then these clowns will be issuing fines for people using them,,, about 3 days ago I was walking past them in that very area,, pulled out my e-cig, and used it,,, I noticed one of them motion to another one, and point at me,,, Not exactly sure what that meant,, but got the uneasy feeling it was along the lines of,,, "that's our next fine generator right there",,,,

Edited by Adeeos

Then you're going out in those areas too early,, They usually set up around 3ish?,,, Wanna see them in person?,,,, go to the walk-over between Suk Soi 15.. and about 19 or so,,, they set up a table nearly directly under the walk-over stairs on the odd side,, If they're NOT set up yet, you'll see the table they use, folded up, and leaning against the "No littering" sign right there,,, I walk that area DAILY about 4pm,, and I can TELL you,, they ARE there,,, to say you've lived in that area 10 years and NEVER seen them,, you've GOT to be blind,,, How's that for info on how to see them in person?,,,, But of course,, YOU'VE never seen them,, so it must not be happening,, they don't exist right?

• Like 2

You don't know what you're talking about. There are no bins to be found in the lower Sukhumvit, where these scum operate 24/7.

I posted photos of the bins a few weeks ago. Try looking harder!! The absence of bins is still no excuse to litter. I live there and appreciate the litter free environment, unlike so many other parts of the city.

• Like 1

Just Curious: Three or four years ago the BP Spectrum had a lengthy article about the litter 'police'. Seems to me the article said these guys had no enforcement authority and, if they stopped someone, that person could just walk away from them and they could not detain him (tho they could call for a real cop's assistance).

Is that correct?

I've been here for 5 years and while Thailand isn't perfect I've never been mis treat by Police or litter patrol. Maybe it's people who have chips on their shoulders that get hammered. As for saying Thailand doesn't want us in its borders, it's allowed me employment, housing and asked for very little in return, if you don't like it here then why are you here?

• Like 1

Just Curious: Three or four years ago the BP Spectrum had a lengthy article about the litter 'police'. Seems to me the article said these guys had no enforcement authority and, if they stopped someone, that person could just walk away from them and they could not detain him (tho they could call for a real cop's assistance).

Is that correct?

I've heard this also,, but don't, "know" it's a fact,,, I was stopped/fined years ago near MBK when I first moved here,, back then I didn't know any better,, they told me,, "$2000 here, no paper, or $3000 at station, paper",,,, meaning $2000 to THEM in THIER pockets,, or $3000 at the station with a PROPER ticket,,, they're scum/scammers,, nothing more... I sit on a balcony at a local bar on Suk,, and watch them seem to be enforcing the street vendors in that area,, My understanding is the vendors aren't allowed to set up before about 7PM,,, I've seen these thugs standing on the sidewalk, where a vendor normally sets up, and having their pictures taken, whilst standing in an empty spot,,, I presume to send to the, "boss" to show they're actually enforcing this,,, I've seen this happen with my own eyes, on several occasions recently,,,, There's an Indian tailor,, that owns an actual shop right next to where he starts to set up a street vendor booth about 6ish,,,, until then,, He has someone sit in "his" spot in a plastic chair,, from as early as about 4PM,, (or earlier),, and holds the spot for him, so no one else can set up,,, I'd LOVE to see someone else sit in that spot earlier in the day,, before his man does,, and just see what happens,,, I'm QUITE sure he'll call his local cop, or litter police buddy and make it well known,, "this is HIS spot",, unless of course you wanna pay the thugs there more than the tailor,,,

Edited by Adeeos

If you just strip the ember off and put the filter your pocket they don't charge you. I was stopped once because they saw me smoking and thought they would get some cash, When I pulled the filters out of my pocket they just walked off. The problem is there are very few signs and most tourists that smoke are unaware of the fine.

The only thing more disgusting than smoking is carrying around smoked cigarette filters in your pocket. Keep in mind too that I was a smoker but, I hate the smell of cigarettes, I hate littering and I hate smoking near people.

I've been here for 5 years and while Thailand isn't perfect I've never been mis treat by Police or litter patrol. Maybe it's people who have chips on their shoulders that get hammered. As for saying Thailand doesn't want us in its borders, it's allowed me employment, housing and asked for very little in return, if you don't like it here then why are you here?

Perhaps they are like the soi dogs who only go for nasty people.

Great thing about this "scam"? It's 100% avoidable.

Someone PM me if somebody posts a credible story about paying the fine though they did nothing wrong. Otherwise, this topic wasn't of any interest the first 100 or so "litter scam" threads I read, and not so interesting today, either.

• Like 1

Great thing about this "scam"? It's 100% avoidable.

Someone PM me if somebody posts a credible story about paying the fine though they did nothing wrong. Otherwise, this topic wasn't of any interest the first 100 or so "litter scam" threads I read, and not so interesting today, either.

Nail on head. Time to close the thread?!

If you just strip the ember off and put the filter your pocket they don't charge you. I was stopped once because they saw me smoking and thought they would get some cash, When I pulled the filters out of my pocket they just walked off. The problem is there are very few signs and most tourists that smoke are unaware of the fine.

The only thing more disgusting than smoking is carrying around smoked cigarette filters in your pocket. Keep in mind too that I was a smoker but, I hate the smell of cigarettes, I hate littering and I hate smoking near people.

What was the point of this?

To tell everyone how wonderful you are that you have quit smoking? Good for you. So have I for now, Maybe I will start again, Maybe not,

But if I do then the options when there are no ashtrays around is to either litter, (according to you that must be preferable to putting the butt in your pocket) or be disgusting by stripping the butt and carriying it around until you find a trash can to throw it in.

As an ex smoker I can vouch that your pocket must have been pretty rank. But good for you you didn't litter.

Cheers

My vision's fine, but if you look for trouble you'll surely find it.

You have uncovered another form of "Thainess"...farangs must pay for the littering habits of Thais...This is Thailand...

Foreigners only pay if they drop litter. Which, in my book, is fair enough. It happens in London too. City of Westminster officers can levy on the spot fines for littering, and do.

But don't let me stop those of you who love to shout "scam" at every opportunity!

But those places you mention they stopped everyone who liters not just the tourist. That is the scam. To be fair anyone who liters on Sukhumvit should be stopped and fined not just a select few who they can SCAM 2000 baht from.

What a terrible injustice it is.

Although slightly off topic, when forced to pay a taxi who would not turn on the meter to take me home, I would tell him to wait downstairs because I didn't have enough cash on me. Then slowly walk up to my room, count out the fare in one baht coins and bring that back to him. Nice way to get rid of your coins and piss off a taxi scammer in one go. whistling.gif

After I've opened the taxi door and the driver either says he won't take me, or he says no meter, I sometimes walk away ... leaving the door still open.

Edited by HerbalEd

Then you're going out in those areas too early,, They usually set up around 3ish?,,, Wanna see them in person?,,,, go to the walk-over between Suk Soi 15.. and about 19 or so,,, they set up a table nearly directly under the walk-over stairs on the odd side,, If they're NOT set up yet, you'll see the table they use, folded up, and leaning against the "No littering" sign right there,,, I walk that area DAILY about 4pm,, and I can TELL you,, they ARE there,,, to say you've lived in that area 10 years and NEVER seen them,, you've GOT to be blind,,, How's that for info on how to see them in person?,,,, But of course,, YOU'VE never seen them,, so it must not be happening,, they don't exist right?

Maybe they've been in my visionary field of view, but I've never seen noticed them. For sure I've never seen them busting anyone for littering. I'm not saying they don't exist, but as I said earlier: If you "look" for trouble you'll surely find it.

Because they like to piss and moan and play the victim.

What was the point of this?

To tell everyone how wonderful you are that you have quit smoking? Good for you. So have I for now, Maybe I will start again, Maybe not,

But if I do then the options when there are no ashtrays around is to either litter, (according to you that must be preferable to putting the butt in your pocket) or be disgusting by stripping the butt and carriying it around until you find a trash can to throw it in.

I don't think I am wonderful for quitting smoking. I have certainly started and stopped a lot of times.

If I had to carry around my cigarette butts in my pocket that would be a pretty good motivator for me to quit.

After I've opened the taxi door and the driver either says he won't take me, or he says no meter, I sometimes walk away ... leaving the door still open.

ummmm you are going to piss off the wrong taxi driver and get a tire iron across your head.......

is it really worth it for 100 baht or so ? or to make a point ?

remember Thais do not fight one on one , its you against ALL of them , a battle you will never win , and it might be your LAST battle.