Thai Transport Minister pushes for establishing more duty free shops

webfact

Never understood why King Power gained EXCLUSIVE rights to the Bangkok airports distribution and retail rights.

This was probably because when I came to Bangkok the day after the new airport opened I did not understand the level of corruption

running through the then Government and their friends.

It is about time King Power had some competition but I am astonished they still have 4 & 7 years left as a monopoly. I guess that is why they are overpriced. Not sure about now but it used to be you could buy the same product for less at a retail shop downtown.

I agree 100% with your observation. I have been at the airport with gifts to take home which cost me half the price King Power were charging - Duty Free - I don't think so

Yes let us get more duty free shops lol, unfortunately travelers have already over the last 20 years or so wised up to the fact that duty free shops in corrupt little shit countries are more expensive than buying the same shit on the street before arriving at the airport. Who in the hell ever buys anything at an Airport? must be complete idiot or just have way to much money.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another example of this government, braking the status quo of the control of certain companies and individuals in this country.

One more step to the right direction..........many more to come.

How is letting monopoly contracts run to term "braking (mispelled) the status quo?" Even though the Junta-government has the authority to break monopoly pricing under the existing Goods and Services Price Control Act of 1999, it has chosen instead to honor the monopoly contracts to their remaining four-year term. The morality of this coup-led government comes cheap.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Another example of this government, braking the status quo of the control of certain companies and individuals in this country.

How is letting monopoly contracts run to term "braking (mispelled) the status quo?" Even though the Junta-government has the authority to break monopoly pricing under the existing Goods and Services Price Control Act of 1999, it has chosen instead to honor the monopoly contracts to their remaining four-year term. The morality of this coup-led government comes cheap.

If they started on King Power's monopoly, I am sure the next incarnation would be only to happy to break up pro-junta or pro-democrat monopolies as payback. Thus, nothing will happen whatsoever.

I'm not sure if monopolies are legal in Thailand but is they are not then the

contracts could be voided as they would be illegal. Either way while I am all

in favour of competition but I am not holding my breath. King Power is obviously

well connected.

KingPower was granted a monopoly by Royal Charter in 2009. Now remind me again who was in power at that time? it certainly wasn't Thaksin or the PTP.

Be careful what you say. They were granted a royal warrant in 2009 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_warrant_of_appointment_%28Thailand%29

King Power had the monopoly long before that.

Lets not forget there are countries such as China where things are even more expensive than Thailand, hence there will always be customers around to keep them afloat. Low end alcohol prices are not much different from anywhere else, that is also one of their big money makers.

I travel almost every month and don't see much people purchasing all the other stuff such as electronics and cosmetics compare to other duty free airports.

I look forward to Lotte coming here, they always give $10-$20 discount coupons for purchases of $50-$100, very professionally managed. But again they are one of the big corporate giants in Korea and many people complain about their monopoly of everything all over the city as well.

Actually if I remember correctly the contracts with King Power was nullified in 2008 or so because they where not according govt. procurement standards. So they are actually there in Swampy illegally.

Correct. In 2007 they were ordered out of Swampy by the Airport Authority because they were operating without having gone through the due process of tendering. They appealed to the courts, and remained in situ and operating. As far as I know the matter has still to be decided by the judiciary. Despite this they were granted a Royal Warrant in 2009.

Really? The absurd King Power monopoly comes from the time of the elite in power. Perhaps we will now see it opened up to closer friends of the new power brokers. Whatever...the consumer won't win because there will be the same rip-off prices as under the current arrangement. This is not about a better deal for customers, it's about profit for the connected.

Which elite would that be please?

Since 2001 until 2014 there has been the TRT under Thaksin for 5 years, military just over 1 year, PPP under Samak/Somchai for a year, the Democrats under Abhisit for 2 1/2 years, The PTP under Yingluck for 2 years and 9 months followed by the military again since last May.

Which of those parties would be the elite parties and for how long were they in power?

Please bear in mind that the current government is the on which is trying to break the monopoly.

As you very well know, the King Power concession pre-dates Thaksin by some years. The rip-off goes back to the 90s

So which party under which PM WAS in power at the time and who granted King Power exclusive rights?

I gave you 15 years, 6 parties and 6 PMs. Now you research and tell us all who it was.

And still with a staggering monopoly they could not admit that a few employees ran a scam and denied everything. Thainess at it's best. I will never step foot in a duty free in this country. Never, when touching an item and taking a few steps left or right results in jail for shoplifting.

Edited by arunsakda