PM Prayut: Thai orchids to be world's number one

webfact

Gen Prayut: Thai orchids to be world's number one
By Digital Content

14216553333433-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 19 -- The Thai government is inviting the public to visit the Quality Orchids Market 2015, where the prime minister has said he would push Thai orchids to become the number one flower in the world.

Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha presided over the opening ceremony of Quality Orchids Market 2015 earlier today, when he said, the event would provide a platform for discussing how to resolve floral line problems, in order for Thai blossoms to become more competitive in the global market, as Thai orchids rank second after the Netherlands among exports.

In all, the prime minister said the government would do its best to promote Thai orchids to become the number one export in the world.

PM Prayuth hopes that the event will provide deeper knowledge and experience for farmers about the orchids and asked that entrepreneurs continue developing their knowledge to extend their income, and to open their farms for tourist visits to promote domestic tourism.

According to current statistics, Thailand exports 46 per cent of its orchid production, while 54 per cent is being used domestically.

However, 2014 exports decreased, prompting the Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives to join with the Secretariat Office of the Prime Minister to hold the Quality Orchids Market 2015 for three months, starting today, on Mondays through Wednesdays from 9 am to 6 pm on the banks of the Padung Krungkasem Canal, as well as beside Government House. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-19

"In all, the prime minister said the government would do its best to promote Thai orchids to become the number one export in the world."

Orchids, the number one export in the world? cheesy.gif

(ok, ok, translation)...

However, I'm sure there a few more 'humane' issues to deal with before this tyrant realises flowers are not quite as important as slavery, etc.......... couldn't be bothered to start the list, as it's endless.

The guy's going off his rocker! Seriously.

• Like 2

So there seems to be a bit of a hidden agenda here.

Orchids are worth trillions of baht to Thailand and are subject to CITES agreements.

The point being that Thailand is in breach of it's agreement with CITES to cease it's ivory trade and other endangered species and is likely to be subject to sanctions as a result.

The most likely sanction is to be a worldwide ban on shipment/export of orchids.

so what on earth does K. Prayuth think he's doing?

• Like 2

WWF - "Thailand Faces Sanctions If It Fails to Stop Ivory Trade"

"Possible sanctions would impact Thailand’s trade in species covered by the convention, including ornamental plants, such as orchids, and reptile leather. Trade suspensions would, for example, prevent exports of orchids, which would result in a loss of more than $80.7 million in annual sales based on the 2013 value of this trade. The economic impact would be significant as the value of just some of Thailand’s CITES-listed export items was estimated at $157 million in 2012."

WWF

http://www.worldwildlife.org/stories/thailand-faces-sanctions-if-it-fails-to-stop-ivory-trade

Most of Thai orchid exports are cut flowers and/or artificially propagated hybrids which are exempt from CITES anyway.

not actually correct.

Any sanctions could be much broader-based.

Significantly, Thailand has till end of March to come up with a convincing argument that they are actually doing something. I find it hard to believe that Prayuth has forgotten this.

it was a member of his government that suggested it was not possible to close down the Thai ivory trade as it would put too many people out of business.

Without some major compromise by either CITES or Prayuth it looks pretty certain that Thailand is on a collision course with CITES over this and in a pretty short time too.

Edited by wilcopops

Whereas an intelligent politician from a mature, educated society would wish for a product to be a (rather than 'the') world leader, children think only in simplistic terms: has to be number 1 in the world. Clearly achievable for those with the secret nobody else understands, a.k.a. Thainess. It can do anything, the rest of the world is merely something to be spoken for.

• Like 2

Is there evidence to suggest that Thailqnd under its new leaeership has continued with the illegal ivory trade and if so proof of pls?

may I suggest if you want to get involved in a debate about the ivory trade, you find out a bit about it first and Thailand's commitment to CITES?

I'm not your teacher and I don't have to feed you references for everything I post

Asking for web addresses or "evidence" is the excuse of someone who doesn't actually have an argument - now go and find out about the subject first. There is far more than just one source of information and I'm sure if you're bothered you will have no trouble in finding it for yourself.

You might for a start discover that trade in ivory isn't illegal in Thailand.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

They already promote de-flowering Thai puzzy...so promotion of flowers like Thai orchids would be a boost for the Thai economy...maybe they could figure out a great promotion for both products in the same advertisement...with some properly placed orchids...

Edited by ggt

Maybe a new Tulip Orchid bubble investment scam ?

However, 2014 exports decreased,

Oh wait, I already see the orchid growers staging protests and demanding that the government buys their excessive orchids.

Edited by Anthony5