Book of (Gay) Mormon Missionary Positions Well Tolerated by Mormons

Jingthing

Credit where credit is due ... clap2.gif

In this era of debate about freedom of expression about "mocking" aspects of different religious groups (Charlie Hebdo, Je Suis Charlie), it seems apt to give some special credit to the MORMONS. The Mormons as many know, like a number of religious sects, believe in ant-gay dogma. Of course, that is not nice ... but what IS nice is that Mormons have taken humorous public expression critical of their dogma so well.

When The Book of Mormon musical comedy became a Broadway hit, did the Mormons try to disrupt the performances, did they threaten or carry out violence on the venues?

Au contraire.

They bought advertising space in the Playbills!

Here is a lesser known item of mockery of Mormon views on homosexuality. Reportedly the pushback from Salt Lake City has been minimal.

http://mormonmissionarypositions.com/

post-37101-0-20848900-1421695482_thumb.j

More provocative images at the link.

Mormon dogma:

Sexual relations are proper only between a man and a woman who are legally and lawfully wedded as husband and wife. Any other sexual relations, including those between persons of the same gender, are sinful and undermine the divinely created institution of the family. The Church accordingly affirms defining marriage as the legal and lawful union between a man and a woman.
LDS Handbook 2

Note that the POLITICAL context of this photo series was in 2012 when the Mormon church was pumping a massive amount of money into the California Prop 8 campaign opposing same sex marriage legalization.

Edited by Jingthing

I have a gay colleague who is converting to Mormonism. He was Catholic. I told him I thought the Mormons were pretty anti-gay, but he said it's not a problem as long as he doesn't engage in sex.

It seems like he is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, but to each his own I guess.

I have a gay colleague who is converting to Mormonism. He was Catholic. I told him I thought the Mormons were pretty anti-gay, but he said it's not a problem as long as he doesn't engage in sex.

It seems like he is jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, but to each his own I guess.

I was brought up belonging to a church that is quite open to gays and I made the decision to "jump into the frying pan" by converting to Roman Catholicism. I've never felt any discrimination personally and I certainly wouldn't let some very fallible human and out-of-touch jerks like Cardinal Raymond Burke or those like him drive me away. God isn't a bigot even if some of his employees are. If those like Cardinal Burke are unhappy about it all then he can leave or learn to deal with it. I certainly wouldn't go shopping for some PC "sect" just to make him happy.

Yeah I don't get that. There are Christian sects that would be gay friendly at least in the west.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"There are Christian sects that would be gay friendly at least in the west."

I certainly wouldn't join a "sect" simply because they flew the rainbow flag from their steeple. There are a few more fundamental, if that's not a dangerous word in this context, issue of importance to me.