How has Thai culture changed, and how is it changing?

infinity11

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old traditions are dying in my opinion and now you see much more western influence, some are good, some are not.

Some examples, diet. Thais are getting fatter eating western food. I know many children now won't eat vegetables unless it is on a pizza or in a burger.

I believe Thais are still overall friendly and tolerant to westerners but the tide is turning, as they say.

The family unit although still strong, is breaking away and younger adults are flying the nest and making their own way in live.

Patriotism is still strong but with the internet and social media I feel Thais are questioning things more than ever.

The hierarchal system here is very prevalent but I am seeing that is not as strong as it was. People still listen to "Pi" but I have seen that they don't always do as they say, different from before.

There are many more examples that people will mention but these are just a few I have noticed.

The biggest cultural changes since I have been here are the Cultural Mandates.. 12 of them in total. coffee1.gif

Either your sarcasm is a very special kind of dry, or I don't get your meaning. The 12 edicts were passed between 1939 and 1942.

Maybe you have not kept up to date but I think he might have been referring to Prayut's core values.

The biggest cultural changes since I have been here are the Cultural Mandates.. 12 of them in total. coffee1.gif

Either your sarcasm is a very special kind of dry, or I don't get your meaning. The 12 edicts were passed between 1939 and 1942.

Maybe you have not kept up to date but I think he might have been referring to Prayut's core values.

Ah, yes. Thanks, was puzzled there a moment, thought there was a joke I might be missing out on. Cheers.

Unbridled greed is the norm now and it's like cancer everywhere in the Thai society and all government

police and army, people are not ashamed anymore to cheat, Thai culture is about money and power

and electronic gizmos to show off, no respect for the elderly, the wise and the experienced..it's the

me me me first culture now...

More Westernised, fatter, greedier (like the rest of the world), more nationalistic, less friendly and more aggressive. whistling.gif

I could not have said it better myself. Spot on mate. thats why I got out, dont regret it one bit. After 9 years it was getting me down, or should I say the people were.

Lots more Farangs in the villages, teaching the Thai's how you can, moan / complain / whine ? & generally cry into your beer--while doing nothing constructive about your situation...... and yes it seems like it's rubbing of on the locals somewhat ............coffee1.gif

Lots more Farangs in the villages, teaching the Thai's how you can, moan / complain / whine ? & generally cry into your beer--while doing nothing constructive about your situation...... and yes it seems like it's rubbing of on the locals somewhat ............coffee1.gif

magic clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

Amen to that.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And don't forget while also telling the locals just how good it is and how things are done so much better living in the country that they left.

Edited by digbat

i must say the only thing ive noticed, baring in mind i live in a small village,

is that the young people dont want to get into farming,

they want to leave the village and look for a better life, i cant blame them for wanting to better themselfs, but the villeges are full of older people and kids,

but who am i im no expert

I first came to Thailand 20+ years ago. It was alot of fun, not much crime, didn't really worry about 95% of daily life,

NOW, it's all about money, greed, Thais are not as friendly...(maybe blame that on all the misfits that have arrived in Thailand the last 10 years)

About 10 years ago you did not see the Afrikans at all, maybe 1 or 2 that were actually working here. Now there is plenty......

Now I don't associate with anybody I don't know, stick to our little clan and enjoy.

I first came to Thailand 20+ years ago. It was alot of fun, not much crime, didn't really worry about 95% of daily life,

NOW, it's all about money, greed, Thais are not as friendly...(maybe blame that on all the misfits that have arrived in Thailand the last 10 years)

About 10 years ago you did not see the Afrikans at all, maybe 1 or 2 that were actually working here. Now there is plenty......

Now I don't associate with anybody I don't know, stick to our little clan and enjoy.

More obnoxious and disrespectful foreigners = more obnoxious and disrespectful Thais. WE did the damage and WE are paying for it. And the government wants more foreigners coming here ?

So a tiny minority of foreigners caused all the scamming lying cheating selfishness and corruption That is Thainess is what you are saying? Deranged.

...you are ALL very smart....

Ah, yes. Thanks, was puzzled there a moment, thought there was a joke I might be missing out on. Cheers.

no a huge majority. guess you don,t get it that WE caused the change.

More obnoxious and disrespectful foreigners = more obnoxious and disrespectful Thais. WE did the damage and WE are paying for it. And the government wants more foreigners coming here ?

So a tiny minority of foreigners caused all the scamming lying cheating selfishness and corruption That is Thainess is what you are saying? Deranged.

Looking at the big picture it's called evolution.

It's really a very simple question to answer. Where in the world is life not changing for better or for worse? Some remote parts of Africa, South America maybe but in the big picture the world is getting smaller, we learn more through the use of modern technology and ultimately through exposure to other parts of the globe and through advance media access we want more.

The 'little box' we were born in and lived with our family and friends until we left for our 'little box' in the sky has gone.

Accept it or become a monk/nun and shut out the world. You cannot stop the progress of man and his quest for everything which of course if you are a 'doom and gloom' merchant will eventually lead to self destruction.

So Thailand is merely Evolving IMHO

I meant a tiny minority of foreigners compared to the number of Thais not a tiny minority of foreigners. Foreigners did not make Thais who they are today but rather they did that to themselves by their greed and selfishness which is a somewhat Asian trait that Thailand has honed to perfection. Westerners have lost a lot of what was honour too and is changing greatly and partly through immigration which is far more far reaching than a few hundred thousand foreigners bugrudingly allowed to live here

Looking at the big picture it's called evolution.

It's really a very simple question to answer. Where in the world is life not changing for better or for worse? Some remote parts of Africa, South America maybe but in the big picture the world is getting smaller, we learn more through the use of modern technology and ultimately through exposure to other parts of the globe and through advance media access we want more.

The 'little box' we were born in and lived with our family and friends until we left for our 'little box' in the sky has gone.

Accept it or become a monk/nun and shut out the world. You cannot stop the progress of man and his quest for everything which of course if you are a 'doom and gloom' merchant will eventually lead to self destruction.

So Thailand is merely Evolving IMHO

I like your objective view of things. Though, for me, I'd put quotes around the words "progress" and "evolution."

Unfortunately, our species doesn't seem too adept at balancing. The new way becomes good, the old way bad; at least it's that way with most people, as far as I can tell. And of course, like you, I'm not only talking about Thais when I say that.

Anyway, cheers to you for an all around good post.

Thailand has become far less dynamic since 2008. The elites did not like seeing all this progress and all these new possibilities for the less privileged. It is harder to control a wealthier, better educated populace. You may have to one day compete with them.

Feel there is a greater strain on people in Thailand. It is harder to make money there.