Pattaya guard beats foreign tourist unconscious 'out of misunderstanding'

webfact

For all of you wearing your rosé colored glasses, something like this may someday happen to you. In Thailand it is not a question of will something bad happen it is only a question of when.

And for all you people living in London-- Glasgow--the USA who are all completely safe and sound & nothing like this would ever happen over there-----stay at home, be safe....................coffee1.gif

PS & you can donate your rose colored glasses to ttthailand, so he can carry on scaremongering.

sanuk711, you just don't get it.... This guy is a tourist not a local. There is a good chance he has been seeing on TV and reading in advertisements about how Thai people are so nice and this being the "Land of Smiles" . There is a good chance he has believed this and thus has lowered his guard and look what happens.... If this was the first time I have seen this I would say fine but I have witnessed it many times here. Never saw any where else in the world things like this happen in tourist areas to foreigners.

I have lived here many years and am street wise so I am more careful but still go out and enjoy.

My Rose color glasses came off after about 5 years. I think until then you still feel like you are on holiday and only see the good.

• Like 1

Thailand has a very thin veneer of civility. I have lived here for over 20 years and i am soon to leave - for ever. I can certainly sense that that thin veneer is being stripped away on a daily basis. Many of the poorest Thais that depend on tourism for their living are feeling that life is getting harder but they just don't know and certainly are not able to articulate why. The easiest targets are foreigners. Which of course ends up propagating their own hardship.

I somehow feel that many Thais think it is open season on foreigners. The level of aggression has increased exponentially over the past few years and it seems that the trend will increase.

I guess there will be some that say - not so. I guess those wannabe Thai types who live in there alternative reality tunnels will find rhyme or reason to dispute what i have said. Usually some fat cockney geezer what is married to a bird called Noi and has a couple of kids that he hasn't noticed are too dark skinned to be actually his. smile.png

Earlier today, I thought up a topic to post on Thai Visa. It was going to be about increasing agression from Thais. Then I saw this article and decided to post my experience here.

I have lived here for 16 years and have always found Thais to be very friendly. Sure they try to cheat by overcharging, but often a smile and a few words in Thai would do the trick.

I now feel that a smile and many words in Thai don't help and that the Thais involved are becoming more and more aggressive.

An example that happened to me today. I took a motorcycle along a route that I take daily. It is usually 15 baht. Today there was a new guy there and he demanded 40 Baht. I smiled and tried to say it was 15 baht but he grabbed my shirt and clenched his fist ... "40 Baht". Within seconds 2 more motorcycle guys appeared and started getting involved.

I noted his number and paid the 40 baht. I was too scared to argue. I will make sure I never use him again. I don't think there is any use in complaining.

• Like 1

For all of you wearing your rosé colored glasses, something like this may someday happen to you. In Thailand it is not a question of will something bad happen it is only a question of when.

And for all you people living in London-- Glasgow--the USA who are all completely safe and sound & nothing like this would ever happen over there-----stay at home, be safe....................coffee1.gif

PS & you can donate your rose colored glasses to ttthailand, so he can carry on scaremongering.

sanuk711, you just don't get it.... This guy is a tourist not a local. There is a good chance he has been seeing on TV and reading in advertisements about how Thai people are so nice and this being the "Land of Smiles" . There is a good chance he has believed this and thus has lowered his guard and look what happens.... If this was the first time I have seen this I would say fine but I have witnessed it many times here. Never saw any where else in the world things like this happen in tourist areas to foreigners.

I have lived here many years and am street wise so I am more careful but still go out and enjoy.

My Rose color glasses came off after about 5 years. I think until then you still feel like you are on holiday and only see the good.

Much worse has happened to tourists in America...a good number of them have been shot and killed for having the temerity of knocking on someone's front door when they were lost or had a flat tire. Confrontations like this, notwithstanding what may have precipitated it, happen every nite in every tourist destination on earth...especially in commercial sex districts like So-Ho in London or the Reeperbahn in Hamburg. Why should Pattaya be any different?

Much worse has happened to tourists in America...a good number of them have been shot and killed for having the temerity of knocking on someone's front door when they were lost or had a flat tire. Confrontations like this, notwithstanding what may have precipitated it, happen every nite in every tourist destination on earth...especially in commercial sex districts like So-Ho in London or the Reeperbahn in Hamburg. Why should Pattaya be any different?
yes, terrible things happen everywhere but this is now my home and I see it happening here more and more and more. Why should we accept that this is one of the worst places. Why can't Pattaya or Thailand be different ? If everyone always say not my problem and makes excuses for Thailand then it will only get worse.

Everyone also knows that so-Ho in London is dangerous so they are careful. People think Thailand is the land of smiles so what could go wrong.

• Like 2

I don't know where Honey Bar is but I won't be going there.

Me think Soi 6

perhaps if you read the article you wouldn't need to speculate. then again there is no accounting for how dim some folks are.

so here i have made it easy for you:

'Police received a report at around 11:30pm pm that a foreign tourist was assaulted outside of Honey Bar on Pattaya - Na Kluea Road.

Edited by jonesthebaker
  • Like 2

Let's stay with the facts and what I heard from a credible eyewitness please.

Honeybar 2 is located in Naklua Road, at the 'VIP' bar center, the Germans there call it the junkyard - now I can figure out why.

AFAIK, the host is a German, and I hope that he was absent during this incident. (Maybe at Honey bar 1 or where ever)

This bar center is organized by a single owner, rumors say it's best supermarket. I can't confirm that.

However, ALL involved are responsible for this incident, in my opinion. The general manager of VIP bar center first and all of the bar owners there. Just by the simple reason to employ or accept such a scumbag as a marshal, or whatever his function is. The managers are responsible for their staff! As well, I have no information, that anybody interfered. This may be acceptable for those, who are tourists and don't wan't to intervene in a Thai affair. But for those, who are are working there, I just feel disgusted by them.

I will not visit this bar center anymore (even if I hardly did before). As well, I will keep complaining about everyone, who might be responsible.

Hope to hear some good news from the Russian victim soon!

Edited by kdrayong

Obviously there is much more to this story than is relayed in the article. I will reserve judgment on both parties until a more credible account is made.

Nothing 'obvious' at all. Just your opinion.

Yes, it is just an opinion...as is every other post here unless someone was actually at the bar and witnesses what happened. I mean, you can't tell anything from the bare-bones of this "news" report. However, my opinion is based on my lived experience of Thailand for 15 years and never having been beat up by anyone, Thai or farang, while drinking at any type of adult entertainment establishment (even in the raunchy straight ones). I've also had need on many occasions to step out to the nearest ATM and top-up my funds in order to pay my bin and again, never been assaulted by anyone. I guess I just lead a charmed life or this fella is just plain unlucky.

So your opinion (based on you living here for 15 years) is that there's obviously more to the story then? Not that there 'could be' more to the story.. Interesting. I have also lived in Thailand for 15 years and never been attacked by mad watch sellers, mad lifeguards or insane security guards and their motor bike gang mates. Like you I must be leading a charmed life? I think this guy was just unlucky, if the story is correctly reported. I wonder if he was a regular? Regarding the security guard hero, I wonder what substances would found in his body if a tox screen was run on him? Like you, I've gone to the ATM for a top up although I usually do it before the bin comes. Maybe another reason why my life might have been charmed thus far is I've never drunk in the toilet that is Pattaya, I just don't go to those places.

Imagine a shooter in the US justifying murder with the same reasoning - and pointing to this incident in Pattaya, a world away, as an example. Or saying worse things happen in Somalia. How would that seem? Crazy? Now how is it justified with your comparison?

• Like 2

This story and pictures of the guard and Thai motorcyclists should be placed on all Tourist brochures as a warning to never get drunk by yourself...or ever let your guard down...use common sense while having fun in Thailand...having fun can change to a dangerous situation in a heartbeat...in the Land of Smiles...smile.png

• Like 2

Thailand has a very thin veneer of civility. I have lived here for over 20 years and i am soon to leave - for ever. I can certainly sense that that thin veneer is being stripped away on a daily basis. Many of the poorest Thais that depend on tourism for their living are feeling that life is getting harder but they just don't know and certainly are not able to articulate why. The easiest targets are foreigners. Which of course ends up propagating their own hardship.

I somehow feel that many Thais think it is open season on foreigners. The level of aggression has increased exponentially over the past few years and it seems that the trend will increase.

I guess there will be some that say - not so. I guess those wannabe Thai types who live in there alternative reality tunnels will find rhyme or reason to dispute what i have said. Usually some fat cockney geezer what is married to a bird called Noi and has a couple of kids that he hasn't noticed are too dark skinned to be actually his. smile.png

Nice post Jonesthebaker however you omitted to mention ''he will invariably be wearing too many amulets as he struts around town, shirtless, proudly pushing Somchai's kids around in a buggy''

It will be most interesting to see what the tourist numbers from the UK will be, after the three one-hour BBC programs on the joys of entering Thailand, will be.

While I don't like to see the country being taken apart, sometimes folk at the top need the obvious pointed out to them. Incoming tourists are not going to enjoy standing in line for more than half an hour, while Immigration laboriously scan each page of a passport, taking some minutes per passenger and half the desks are empty.

Last time I went through KL airport, Immigration there processed almost everyone at 20 second intervals.

Now there's a video gone viral, showing what the taxi drivers are like once you've passed through Customs.

searched youtube but cant find the viral video you mention

Even if you can find it, how is it relevant to this thread?

When there is a negative thread, it is you "brewster" the Thai apologist that will ALWAYS chime in and compare Thailand with the UK, or another country. So how is that relative ?

• Like 1

I think it must have been lack of communication between the russian victim and bar staff. He should have asked one of the girls to follow him to the ATM. Most probably the Russian couldn't speak a word of English. No excuse of course.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

boycott Honey Bar. dont go there hopefully it goes under.

Although I live in Bangkok, and have only had the "pleasure" of driving through the seaside toilet they call Pattaya ... I must say this is a simple and brilliant idea that would not only go a far way to help solve this issue, but send a clear message to all other bar owners ... we can ... and will ... hit you where it hurts ... right in the wallet.

If the locals would go to the owner and expalain that after he

(1) Fires the bouncer

(2) Apologizes to the guy who almost got killed

(3) PAYS ALL THE MEDICAL BILLS

Then, and ONLY then, will the foreigners come to dip their spoons in the honey pot.

And if a half dozen or so hovered around and explained to tourists why they should not go in ... it would not take long for him to get the message.

Surely there is no law against wearing matching tee shirts that say, "Boycott the Honey Bar for almost killing a tourist."

In point of fact, due to Thailand's arcane defamation laws, you could find yourself in quite a bit of trouble for doing just that. Bear in mind that truth is not a defense when it comes to someone suing you for such activity. All they have to prove is that you took some action that was intent on damaging their business or reputation.

I think you will find that the Thai court's willingness to accept such silliness, and the corrupt legal professions total lack of ethics when it comes to such cases, are exactly the reason that people like Andrew Drummond are telling Thailand to piss off once and for all.

That said, since i believe the precedent was set when the Spicy Girls / Champion door boys stabbed the Kuwaiti military guy recently, i would be looking for a 60 day close of Honey Bar 2 to be coming down the pipeline. Guess it depends on how connected the German (and his Thai proxy) are whether that will happen or not.

Maybe the General should consider a set of Line Stickers detailing all the common scams for the tourist to download and reference when they are here. One of the stickers could be a white guy surrounded by 6 brown guys kicking the crap out of him. Hell, it could even be animated now!

Edited by volsfan

This story and pictures of the guard and Thai motorcyclists should be placed on all Tourist brochures as a warning to never get drunk by yourself...or ever let your guard down...use common sense while having fun in Thailand...having fun can change to a dangerous situation in a heartbeat...in the Land of Smiles...smile.png

Easy just post it on the daily express comments forum They have a few more readers than Thai visa ( they also monitor Thai visa that I know)

I ran up a 10,000 baht bill at a go go bar in Pattaya in 2007. When I got the check bin I realized I had zero cash on me. (It was a long night) I explained I had lost my money but I had an ATM card I could use. (Actually I spent it all in tips) The bar sent a guy to take me on his motorbike to an ATM where I was thankfully able to withdraw the money. They were very polite and very understanding, but I did spend a shitload of money there that night and was even buying mamasan drinks. If they had pushed it I would have called the police to settle everything. It was totally my fault for being drunk out of my mind and they may have padded the bill a little, but everything worked out fine. Drunk or not, I know I'm never a mean obnoxious drunk, and that may have been what worked for me that time. Who knows how the Russian reacted, but beating him that severely was overkill no matter what. I learned to pay attention, watch my alchohol intake, verify prices beforehand instead of assuming I already know, etc.

I am glad people came her to complain, it raises awareness of the issue. I hope that by complaining you have not entered into a dark place in which you can never recover. If in America, I could talk to our representatives, community leaders, chief of police, neighbors, newspapers, etc... and united we can solve anything!!!! however, here, i have only one option..

coffee1.gif Has the mania been quelled about Thais beating farangs? Yes, it happens but look at the facts here: Guy drinks 10-15 beers and realizes he hasn't enough money. Hold on....He says he is going to an ATM for money but if you were going to run out on a bill, what excuse would you use? Handy, eh? If the customer does run off without paying, what happens to the bar girl manager? blink.png Use your head for something other than a hat rack.thumbsup.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

How do you's guy know it has any thing to do with the Honey Bay

Good question...and how do you know it doesn't?

What's the point?

If the man was the customer of Honey Bar,

then one would think it would be in the bars best interest to make sure he gets to the ATM safely,

so they can get paid, no?

Not to mention; so he would want to come back, no?

After all, as a business owner,

it's not in your best interest to see your customers beaten in the street in front of your business.

As it's not likely he will be returning to your establishment,

however if someone from the bar had come to this man aid,

then he would be grateful and consider returning at some point,

but no chance of that now.

Let's hope he survives,

and recovers from his wounds in due time.

As we can see on this forum,

with all the bashing against this man,

it's no wonder why Thai men think they can do this,

and get away with it.

As most foreigners will just sit there,

and let it happen without showing any respect,

for their own race.

Isn't that what the Thai men are doing,

sticking together?

And I'm not stating anyone has to throw down for someone they don't know either,

but if foreigners would just peel their happy asses off of the stool,

and pull the Thai men off the guy or stand united in front of the guy,

to at least get the story,

the Thai men would have to think twice before attacking,

but they see us as we are,

lazy and self centered,

to only care about oneself.

Truly sad,

and the worst part is we use this forum to try to defend what the Thai men did,

as much as we can get away with,

without getting bashed down by the supporter for the victim.

Where was the support when it was needed,

at the time of the incident?

Best to drink at home,

or better yet to not drink alcohol at all...

so you don't let your guard down.