Lost car tax tag replaced

sattahip

In case it is a help to others here is the procedure to replace a car tax tag/sticker that is lost or destroyed while current.

First you will need a Residence Certificate from the Immigration Office. Available within an hour for Baht300. This requires you to present your passport, one set of signed copies of visa pages including TM card, front page and latest entry stamp as well as 2 photos. I provided a recent receipt with my address as proof of location.

The Motor Department near Highway 36 and School of Regents requires you complete a form in Thai which briefly explains loss. I got the form filled in across the street by concessionaires. You get the blank form at the front desk on entry to ground floor. The completed form is then tendered after you have a queue ticket to Window 4 on the ground floor. Form must be accompanied by passport, signed copies of visa and TM pages thereof and the Residence Certificate from Immigration together with the Blue Book for the vehicle.

Fee for this is Baht25 and replacement is available within a couple of hours. You can come back the following day if you wish. All this took about 20 minutes. They hold the blue book until tag is issued.

All this hassle was caused by a super senior moment when I "replaced" the tag with the old one and threw out the new. I am no expert on Thai year dates!

I wish to compliment both Immigration and Motor transport offices for prompt service. One wonders how friendly or at least neutral service can be maintained when you look at the immense volumes of work especially at the crowded Immigation Office where the work is absolutely non-stop.

One last word. The Thai for car tax sticker is "tag"; just the English word I guess.

• Like 2

You compliment immigration for charging you 300 baht for something that is supposed to be free?

Who told you it's free? Well in Pattaya it ain't and it's not a bribe but a fee.

Do you have an official receipt for the "fee" or is it cash only put in the drawer of the desk ?

I am sure most members would like to see the official receipt for this "fee.