Visting The Pattaya Immigration Office

Noel

Just in case some of you are unaware of the etiquette required when visiting the Pattaya Immigration Office in Jomtien, all is explained below:

Three chaiyos to the Immigration Department

Dear Sirs,

This is in response to widespread whining from expats who visit the Pattaya (Jomtien) Immigration Department.

First, three chaiyos to the Immigration Department for the very courteous and professional treatment of me on my 4 August visit. Simply great.

Now, for the whiners, here are some tips based on my own experience of 15 years in Thailand and some observations of other Farangs’ behavior.

1. Visit the Immigration Department a few days in advance to pick up the right forms and to verify exactly what is required. Fill the forms out at home in advance.

2. When visiting the Immigration Department, wear a suit: if you don’t have one go get one. Don’t show up in shorts, a ragged tee-shirt, and retread flip-flops.

3. Shower and shave before you arrive. Don’t drink before arriving. Use breath mints. Bring originals of all documents and countersign copies in blue ink. Use a briefcase, not a plastic bag, for your documents.

4. Upon arrival at the Immigration Department, wai everyone in uniform. Speak softly and politely. Remember the magic of “Please” and “Thank you”.

5. When tendering your documents or fee payment, use the traditional Thai polite way of preferring documents by offerings the documents in the right hand while the left hand supports the right forearm.

6. If a problem arises, don’t make demands for a supervisor or a favor. Much better to say something like, “Oh well, I might have made a mistake. Can you please tell me what we can do about this?”

I hope the above will be helpful. Keep in mind “Khaam dii pai, Khaam dii maa.” What goes around comes around. Truer words never spoken.

Sincerely,

Arthur Lee Gordon

Pattaya

I must make a point of taking my camera along next visit, on the chance of getting a snap of this clown in action.

Him performing as per his advice in points 4. and 5. should be entertaining... :o

Source: Pattaya Mail Letters

mr. gordons advice to behave courteously and politely is good advice indeed.

although he may be considered a clown by some falangs , he will not be considered a clown by the immigration officers , and should , in the future he have a problem of some sort with his paperwork , or should he need a slight bending of the regulations in his favour then he will be remembered as the polite one , and his problem will be sorted quicker and with less hassle than the unshaven , slovenly and less polite members of the foriegn community.

Pattaya Immigration is one of the best run Government offices in the Country, well done to them.

As far as Mr. Gordon saying "When visiting the Immigration Department, wear a suit" you must be kidding, who wears a suit in this heat? I don't even own one. All other points from other posters I agree.

The letter is clearly way over the top.

However, I have been embarrased by the way some of my fellow farangs dress and behave at Immigration and other government departments, like the driving licence centre.

I notice that many government offices, actually have a notice these days requesting trhe public to dress "formally". They don't really mean"formally" in the strict sense - they mean no shorts, no spaghetti tops for women, no shirts open half way to the waist for men, etc. Discretely would be a better term.

A clean pair of jeans and a clean, decent, unrevealing shirt is fine. Don't lean over the counter, speak politely, and give due courtesy to officials. If you can speak a bit of Thai - even it's only "Kopkhun Krap", it will be appreciated. Don't raise your voices - to each other - or to an officer.

And smile :o

Simple really - common sense actually.

All the above points are common sense. However I won't be wearing a suit at Pattaya Immigration, even if it was a 'Man from Del Monte' original, complete with a Panama hat lovingly crafted in Equador.

TOP TIP: Is go early and don't wear dark sunglasses whilst conducting business. I have been told by a Thai official, that this is not good manners. And a sweaty vest, will not be considered etiquette either: sleeved shirts are best.

In Immigration, in Manila, they are very strict: No shorts, and only proper shoes allowed. I got sent away for wearing quality sandals, because I thought only 'Flip-Flops' were banned.

:o You forgot bring a blank envelope for other fees

Just in case some of you are unaware of the etiquette required when visiting the Pattaya Immigration Office in Jomtien, all is explained below:

Three chaiyos to the Immigration Department

Dear Sirs,

This is in response to widespread whining from expats who visit the Pattaya (Jomtien) Immigration Department.

First, three chaiyos to the Immigration Department for the very courteous and professional treatment of me on my 4 August visit. Simply great.

Now, for the whiners, here are some tips based on my own experience of 15 years in Thailand and some observations of other Farangs’ behavior.

1. Visit the Immigration Department a few days in advance to pick up the right forms and to verify exactly what is required. Fill the forms out at home in advance.

2. When visiting the Immigration Department, wear a suit: if you don’t have one go get one. Don’t show up in shorts, a ragged tee-shirt, and retread flip-flops.

3. Shower and shave before you arrive. Don’t drink before arriving. Use breath mints. Bring originals of all documents and countersign copies in blue ink. Use a briefcase, not a plastic bag, for your documents.

4. Upon arrival at the Immigration Department, wai everyone in uniform. Speak softly and politely. Remember the magic of “Please” and “Thank you”.

5. When tendering your documents or fee payment, use the traditional Thai polite way of preferring documents by offerings the documents in the right hand while the left hand supports the right forearm.

6. If a problem arises, don’t make demands for a supervisor or a favor. Much better to say something like, “Oh well, I might have made a mistake. Can you please tell me what we can do about this?”

I hope the above will be helpful. Keep in mind “Khaam dii pai, Khaam dii maa.” What goes around comes around. Truer words never spoken.

Sincerely,

Arthur Lee Gordon

Pattaya

I must make a point of taking my camera along next visit, on the chance of getting a snap of this clown in action.

Him performing as per his advice in points 4. and 5. should be entertaining... :D

Source: Pattaya Mail Letters

• 4 years later...

A suit in this heat ?!?!? Immigration requires us to "dress politely" not "dress for a royal banquet".

What's the point of turning up in a suit if you are accompanied by very young companion who looks like she has just finished a very busy night in a Soi 6 bar and has apparently left her knickers at home?:)

I know an Indian guy on Beach Road, I think his name is Hey Buddy, he will make you a special suit for 200 baht. Maybe a good idea if we all have special immigration suits made, because when I think Pattaya Immigration, I think dress to impress.

I've been there in a t-shirt and long shorts many times, never an issue. They are always polite. I would not wear that in Bangkok, but in Pattaya... it's a beach town, and well, it's Pattaya.

Would I still have to take a number and wait if I bought a suit?

mr. gordons advice to behave courteously and politely is good advice indeed.

although he may be considered a clown by some falangs , he will not be considered a clown by the immigration officers , and should , in the future he have a problem of some sort with his paperwork , or should he need a slight bending of the regulations in his favour then he will be remembered as the polite one , and his problem will be sorted quicker and with less hassle than the unshaven , slovenly and less polite members of the foriegn community.

I agree that people should be presentable in terms of dress, hygiene & behavior, tempered by the fact that this is a beach resort community. Pitching up in a suit with a leather briefcase, however, might suggest an association with the Cosa Nostra or that you're hoping to impress in order to distract attention from your dubious documents.

I sincerely doubt regulations will be bent for someone wearing a suit. Making that assumption implies that you think the people at Immigrations are too stupid to see beyond superficialities. If you sincerely respect them, you'll not underestimate their intelligence.

Wearing a suit is indeed a bit over the top, but remind that everything has a first impression.

Same counts for job-interviews, business appointments, teachers, etc.

My first impression of someone dressed in a suit in the tropical heat in a small holiday town like Pattaya is: that man has mental health issues. But if he thinks it helps him get some "respect" at Immigration, who am I to fix his delusion?

I do not expect respect, just efficient service and unsurprisingly I've had no problems, dressed only in my humble collared Tshirt, comfortable light pants and runners. And I am not sweaty and smelly.