Egat asks Phuket gov to help fast-track new power cable

webfact

Egat asks Phuket gov to help fast-track new power cable
Nattha Thepbamrung

1421809788_1-org.jpg
Phuket's power demands are constantly growing.

PHUKET: -- Senior officials from the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat) have met with Gov Nisit Jansomwong to try to get his help to speed up installation of a cable to keep Phuket’s power supply ahead of demand.

Deputy Director Phol Khawnnui explained that Egat has a project to lay a 500kV cable from Jombung in Ratchaburi via Bang Sapan and Surat Thani to Phuket.

This would be completed in 2019, he said. “But before that date the system we have today will not be sufficient to meet demand.”

To bridge the gap, he said, Egat proposes to lay a B1.6 billion 230 kV cable from Krabi via Phang Nga to Phuket, which could meet future demand and which could be completed by next year.

But, he explained, laying of the temporary cable could be delayed by the requirement to get the correct construction permits before work can start.

He therefore requested Gov Nisit to allow Egat to begin work while waiting for the construction permits so the project can be completed soon enough to meet the future needs of Phuket.

Gov Nisit, however, insisted that all processes be done properly.

“They told me that the project must be finished by 2018 or there will be a shortage of power in Phuket,” he said.

“But the environmental impact assessment (EIA) has not yet been approved. I understand that it is a matter of some urgency, and Egat has sent [the EIA] to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment.

“I believe that important projects such as this will get an EIA result soon, and there should not be any problem as the cable line will be installed beneath the existing power lines around the island.”

He said he would hold another meeting with Egat representatives around the end of January to discuss details and any problems that might slow down the project.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/egat-asks-phuket-gov-to-help-fast-track-new-power-cable-50648.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-21

“But the environmental impact assessment (EIA) has not yet been approved."

Did they actually look at the mess of cables? They look deadly to me, speaking of an environment.

Just more bureaucracy that needs money to grease the wheels of progress.

Impact assessments don't come free.

To be fair that picture by the op does not only contain electric cables but TV, internet, telephone and god knows what else

And electric companies will black mail us into submission any how

so whats the use of getting environment permission.

If they cannot put their cables through we won't have lights...pretty simple really.

Its the same all over the world.

On TV the other night there was a clip showing 2 cut cables, that were smoking, hanging down just above ground level. Not sure where it was but it highlights how dangerous, not to mention extremely ugly, the mess of cables are which can be seen all over Phuket. I guess there is no requirement for the relevant companies to remove unused cables as they always just add new ones whether it be for electric, telephone, internet or cable TV.