Thai govt set to move beggars from streets on sustainable basis

webfact

Govt. set to move beggars from streets on sustainable basis

BANGKOK, 22 Jan 2015 (NNT) - The Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (MSDHS) will lead a campaign to address the ongoing beggar issue on a sustainable basis, with a major clean-up operation to be organized from January 26th -30th.

Minister of Social Development and Human Security Police General Adul Sangsingkeaw said that the beggar issue has planted deeply in the Thai society and currently fallen prey to human trafficking rings. He said one particular method favored by human traffickers is to use children to reel in crowds, living off of human kindness.

He said 3 major policies will be implemented nationwide -- law enforcement, protection to victims of human trafficking, and to develop a network against human trafficking.

The Police General clarified that the law enforcement involves amending the beggar related laws, handing out punishments to human traffickers and professional beggars and drawing up an official record of beggars.

He said the truly destitute would receive assistance in the form of general welfare, rehabilitation and occupational training.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-22 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

they should start with the very young kids in red light districts begging and selling flowers.

then help the poor guys you see with no legs crawling on their stomachs on the sidewalks.

not sure about the blind singers... maybe cut them some slack.

the problem is will they be treated in a humane way by the government or just thrown in some hell hole to get them out of sight.

Edited by NCC1701A
  • Like 1

Many are not Thai anyway but Cambodians controlled by criminals exploiting them, the rest don't have a leg to stand on

There are a few genuine case,but then why not as I have seen in the past allow them to beg at temples, I am sure the abbots will weed out the none destitute.

When children are involved they should be taken into immediate care.

• Like 1

Begging is lucrative business for the mafia who put them out there to beg... get rid of the mafia

and you got rid of 99% of the problem..

And the members of these mafia organisations are... 'Influential' and uniformed persons! So, what will happen? Some mediatised (mini-) 'crackdowns' for a few weeks, then back to situation-as-usual...

As mentioned, many are from neighbouring countries operated by the mafia. The main task therefore is to get rid of the mafia. Homeless people are found in many countries and even in cities like New York. Good examples of not having these problems are Singapore, Hong Kong etc but how they manage this is another story. But for starters it's a welcome effort.

In 30+ years I have heard this pledge so many times. They have moved most of the post-leprosy beggars off streets in BKK, particularly on the Sukhumvit overhead pedestrian bridges, but the niche just fills up again with another type of beggar, women with little kids for example. And those kids selling flowers darting among the cars under the BTS at night on the cross-road of Sukhumvit and Asoke, well they are another story. They are organised by the Thai mafia. I have seen them getting picked up late evening by a Mercedes. Very sus.

In Pattaya there are two beggars that I have seen on Second Road for probably 10 years now. Same spot all the time, a woman with a child 50 meters right of Central. Whether it has been the same woman for 10 years I don't know, never really looked. And an old man in a wheel chair with a placard about 100 meters further along towards Mikes carpark. For each I stop and donate loose change, my tamboon. If they are legit I don't know.

I would like to see all beggars taken care off, but as for the Mafia employed, that wont stop.

The question is: What will they do with the beggars once they round them up and remove them from the streets.

Surely you would think they can coordinate some sort of plan that includes helping many of the people who are more or less living in dire straights and really are in need of help.

One can surmise that many of them ( who knows what percent really) are professional beggars and make a living from begging and maybe ???? just maybe, more than they could make working a regular job.

But then again, who is going to hire them and who is going to help them.

I really hope they have a plan that also helps the poor beggars that are in need of help...the ones that truly are in need of help, as there are plenty of down and out Thai people that are not beggars by choice....but I doubt they have a logical and or sensible plan that addresses the problems and all that is entailed.

Not just remove them off the street and that is all that needs to be done and claim the problem is now fixed.

Cheers

I think they need to name and shame the "keepers"

take the "keepers" money and give it to the beggers who really "earned" it and send them back home ,

Yeah I know it is never going to happen as all the "keepers" have powerful people they pay off :(

But at least the military is trying , maybe put GPS trackers on the beggars and see where they are taken at night.........

I hate to see the kids that are put out on the streets to beg. They do tug at your heartstrings.

Here's what I do with them and I hope all of you will indulge this practice, too. Whenever I see one of these kids, I take them to the nearest 7-Eleven or similar store and let them pick out an ice cream treat, then buy it for them. It does two things. It puts a bright spot in the kid's day. But, moreover, unlike a candy bar, the kid's handler cannot swoop in and take it away for resale the moment you are out of sight. Either it gets eaten or it's gone.

I'll guarantee you will see a million watt smile on the face of every kid for which you do this.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine's lady friend got a call at work one day from her neighbor. The neighbor informed her that she had seen the woman's young child begging on the street with another woman beggar. I turns out the woman's maid was renting the child out to the beggar's mafia during the day. Amazing Thailand.

was thinking just the other day that there seem to be a hell of a lot of thai looking homeless people about that everyone just ignores and pretends they dont exist. they dont usually cause any problem or beg or harrass, they are just there often sleeping or eyes closed lying down or sitting on the sidewalk, staring into space or squirreled in some less walked place..

when i was younger i always imagined this would be my fate. even the school vocation counselor told me that that would be my fate. to a certain extent it is true, only i can stay in cheap hotels and eat at seven while still living the lifestyle of a homeless bag lady.

Edited by monkey dog

Begging is lucrative business for the mafia who put them out there to beg... get rid of the mafia

and you got rid of 99% of the problem..

And the members of these mafia organisations are... 'Influential' and uniformed persons! So, what will happen? Some mediatised (mini-) 'crackdowns' for a few weeks, then back to situation-as-usual...

There is no mafia in Thailand. We live in a Buddhist utopia of happy, content, honest and selfless people.

All of Thailand's major social ills are the fault of outsiders or the influence of outsiders that have poisoned this pristine society.

Get with the program, fellas. The Supreme Leader says its so!

Or it's off for re-education for the lot ya!

• Like 1