Mobile phone registration

Suradit69

Anyone have a link to a Thai language report of what will be required regarding the registration of mobile phones?

TIA

Mobile users must register SIM cards

The secretary general of the NBTC, Thakorn Tanthasit, has said that February 1st is the first day when registration will begin and that strict enforcement is required for registering phones, either with the operators themselves, or alternatively at Krungthai Bank, superstores like Tesco Lotus and Big C, and 7-11 stores. It will be interesting to see how they cope with the expected deluge of people flooding in to register.

http://tech.thaivisa.com/deadline-looms-prepaid-mobiles-thailand/3064/?utm_source=newsletter-20150122-0745&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

When they tried it before it was to try and trace the SIMs used to set off bombs down South.

Given the lack of urgency I'm guessing this one is for different, and possibly more nefarious purposes.

hmm yes but you dont need to use a phone to set off bombs remotely so its just window dressing and unneeded harassment.

If i remember correctly they tried this before (around 10 years ago).

At that time you also had to register your phone but after a while the plan died again.

First see before i believe it.

Yes, I remember something like that happening a long time ago. Can't remember if I registered or not then, but expect if I did it's filed in some remote interstellar location never to be accessed again.

But to my O/P. Anyone run across the report/news in the Thai Language?

I tried sharing this announcement with a Thai speaker on the assumption he would have the inside poop on it all, but it was (metaphorically speaking) blank stares all 'round.

When they tried it before it was to try and trace the SIMs used to set off bombs down South.

Given the lack of urgency I'm guessing this one is for different, and possibly more nefarious purposes.

hmm yes but you dont need to use a phone to set off bombs remotely so its just window dressing and unneeded harassment.

Is Thailand the ONLY country in this world in which a SIM has to be registered?

No many countries do this.

I was wondering why all this fuss was when TH does it.

I don't have any problem with the requirement. Just want to know for certain how to do it and, in particular, being able to share the information with a Thai speaker since I haven't found any Thai language announcement and am probably not looking for it in the right places.

It's not the ruling but the logistics that I'm interested in.

I don't have any problem with the requirement. Just want to know for certain how to do it and, in particular, being able to share the information with a Thai speaker since I haven't found any Thai language announcement and am probably not looking for it in the right places.

It's not the ruling but the logistics that I'm interested in.

Oooops! I am extremely sorry. I was not commenting particularly on you post.

Just thinking who was harassing whom.

Stupid idea where tourists are concerned. While the euro hovers around the 37 Baht mark, I can only afford to stay about three weeks, once a year. I usually end up with about six weeks worth of credit left on the SIM after which it simply expires.

I've no problem with them noting my details as long as it's understood that the following year, I'm going to have a different SIM number than the one which has just been registered.

This actually might stop or at least slow down the number of times some of my relatives change their phone numbers if they know full registration will be required each time (I think some are hiding from the law, loan shark, past mia noi, gf, bf, etc). Then again , if they were changing phone numbers simply because they saw a phone number sequence that they thought was lucky or some new promotion package, they'll continue to change frequently full registration required or not.

If you read my o/p I wasn't opening a thread to discuss the registration requirement, but asking if anyone had found the announcement written in the Thai language and could supply a link. The quote I used in the first post above was from a Thai Visa thread, so I know that topic lives on elsewhere and I guess no one has found a link to a Thai language report.

"The Nation reports that there are 110 million active mobile phone numbers in Thailand, 90% of which are prepaid. However, only 10% of users are registered."

100 million divided by 180 days to register equals 555,555 per month. :)

I am sure this will all go very smoothly.

i need to get a lucky cellphone number.

what sort of numbers should i be looking for?

Edited by NCC1701A