Will Arrive On A Tourist Visa, How Can I Stay For A Year?

Hi

My first post, hopefully in the correct forum.

Ok, I'm a bit confused, tried searching and reading, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so here it is:

I hold Bulgarian pasport and I want to go and stay in Thailand for a year, is that possible? Basically I want to go there on a tourist visa, but then what?

I read about visa runs etc but it looks to me that they're only for the people that hold US, UK + few other countries' passports, is that correct?

I do have the means to support myself while there, but I don't have the millions that are required to start a business for example.

Any ideas, advice etc much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Hi

My first post, hopefully in the correct forum.

Ok, I'm a bit confused, tried searching and reading, but couldn't find what I was looking for, so here it is:

I hold Bulgarian pasport and I want to go and stay in Thailand for a year, is that possible? Basically I want to go there on a tourist visa, but then what?

I read about visa runs etc but it looks to me that they're only for the people that hold US, UK + few other countries' passports, is that correct?

I do have the means to support myself while there, but I don't have the millions that are required to start a business for example.

Any ideas, advice etc much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Come over after December 31st 2006: January 1st 2007 Bulgaria join the European Union.

Get 4 multiple-entry visas. Each can be used up to 60 days + an additional 30 days if you extend it (at an immigration office). Much easier to get these visas while you are still in your home country.

Btw, before any of the 60+30 visas expires, you must exit Thailand, say to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, or someplace further if you wish. Then you can re-enter Thailand to begin using your next visa.

Get 4 multiple-entry visas. Each can be used up to 60 days + an additional 30 days if you extend it (at an immigration office). Much easier to get these visas while you are still in your home country.

Btw, before any of the 60+30 visas expires, you must exit Thailand, say to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, or someplace further if you wish. Then you can re-enter Thailand to begin using your next visa.

Thanks for your reply - basically I can get a tourist visa, then fo to Thailand and when the visa's about to expire go to a neighbouring country and get another visa, is that correct? How long can I keep doing

that - three times, four times, is there a limit?

Edited by TT_2006

I assume you mean get a 4 entry visa to get 4 x 60+30 day stays :o

Unfortunately this scenario won't work for a 1 year stay, because any tourist visa is only valid for entry for 6 months from issue, this means that a 3 entry visa is the maximum sensible purchase.

Our OP will have to buzz down to Penang for a further triple entry when his initial expires.

NOTE I've not verified that a Bulgarian citizen can get a visa in Penang.

I assume you mean get a 4 entry visa to get 4 x 60+30 day stays :D

Unfortunately this scenario won't work for a 1 year stay, because any tourist visa is only valid for entry for 6 months from issue, this means that a 3 entry visa is the maximum sensible purchase.

Our OP will have to buzz down to Penang for a further triple entry when his initial expires.

NOTE I've not verified that a Bulgarian citizen can get a visa in Penang.

So is there any solution to that problem?

Also Bulgaria will (99% chance) join the EU in a couple of months, are all the EU citizens exempt from visas?

So then I can hopefully arrive in Thailand and then go outside the country every 30 days just like everybody else :o

I'm still in living in South Africa and I'm not in a hurry at all but would love to move there for a year .

Any help appreciated