Thailand: New liquor sale restriction comes into force

webfact

New liquor sale restriction comes into force

1-22-2015-10-16-36-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The new restriction on sale of alcoholic drinks has come into force throughout the country as of January 7.

Under the new restriction stipulated in the announcement of the PM’s Office, alcoholic drinks are available on sale two periods within a day – from 11 am to 2 pm and from 5 pm to midnight.

The restriction however is not applicable in all international airports, entertainment venues which are required to follow restriction on operating hours.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/new-liquor-sale-restriction-comes-force

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-23

This is new ?

Not at all. I can only hazard that there's more to the story but the reporter didn't get it that it's the new (unreported) restrictions that are actually the news.

I wonder what the new restrictions are?

A TV member posted in the Chiang Mai forum (maybe three weeks ago) that police had begun coming into bars/restaurants near Tha Pae Gate and telling the owners that they could not sell alcohol between 2:00-5:00 p.m. In the past, I think most had interpreted the law - and in practice - as being limited to retail outlets like supermarkets and liquor stores.

Edit: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/787094-some-bars-told-to-stop-selling-booze-from-2-pm-to-5-pm-today/page-2

Edited by Diplomatico
  • Like 1

This is new ?

It is if they finally passed it as law. Even some of the bigger shops ignored it including foodland until recently, Villa can buy anytime still i think. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for selling out of hours as it was never an actual law.

Edited by dragonfly94