Suvarnabhumi taxi drivers suggest baggage charges

webfact

These people have had the shitty end of the stick for years, good for them!!!!!!;)

You clearly don't know anything about workers in Thailand! Most,if not all, taxi drivers bring in well over the minimum wage every day! Good working taxi drivers earn good money and you do not hear them complain!

Power to the taxi drivers!!!!!!

Are you a taxi driver?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont make me laugh, 5th bag or more 50bht per!!! Hos co you get that many bags into a bloody corolla with gas bottle in boot (which by the way is 13 bht a litre) as said earlier, fuel prices are decreasing.

I recently returned from the US with 3 bags totalling 85 kg( could have taken 98 kg total complements of JAL business class). I hadn't been back in 3 years and had many things to bring plus gifts. I took the larger Toyota wagon. I was planning to tip the guy as my bags were heavy...but as he picked them up he was on the phone talking to someone and kept repeating farang...hiaa and more about my heavy suitcases. I told him in Thai where to take me and the route to take. I asked if he understood he said yes but he had a shortcut. This was at 3:30am and I had to be to work at 9 am. His shortcut cost me an extra toll fee and took about 20 minutes longer. He got off on Ram Intra and backtracked to Chatuchak area. I decided then I would pay a rounded up fare but really no tip. He made up for it with his extra ride. He continued to cuss as he got back in the car after taking my bags out.

I read elsewhere that a leader of a Taxi association was comparing Taxi charges in Japan and saying Thailand should pattern themselves after the fee schedules in Japan. But they didn't mention what you get in Japan for those rates.I did a 6 day stopover in Japan(Tokyo and Kyoto) on my way to the US. As it was about 5 C I took many taxis. The taxis I had were late model, very clean, drivers wore white gloves, many had lace coverings on headrest and top of seats. One even had a lamb shearling throw rug on the back seat. The drivers were polite. One even missed the turn off and had to go up several blocks to make a u-turn. He apologized as I had given him a card with a map of the location. When I paid him the full fare he deducted 10% for his mistake. I tried to get him to keep it as a tip but he said,"no my error." Has a Thai taxi driver ever offered to deduct increased charges due to their "mistakes" intentional or mistakenly? I have never had this done. I used to pay the total fare when this happened but after learning some Thai many times I discount what I pay if they have taken me INTENTIONALLY way out of my way and the increase is 100 baht or more, telling them why. This is when I have given them explicit instructions where to go and they tell me some excuse for taking another route--not traffic related.

To be fair, I have had taxi drivers take money off the fare for mistakes, abeit less frequently than juicing the price by taking the scenic route.

Me too Bud. One guy wanted to deviate to fill up. First garage too big a queue. Got filled at next garage but then couldn't find easy way to express way. Eventually did some long winded route and got home. He knew I was pissed about all the lost time. He just smiled and said "give me what you normally pay".

One paid several toll fees when my wife and I had nodded off while taking son to the Children's hospital. He never asked for those tolls and we both assumed the other was awake and had paid. Our fault.

Some refuse a tip and will give you change automatically.

Others really helpful with my son and his wheelchair.

If the taxi driver has gas tank in the trunk, I want to have a reduced fare as well.

There is no room for luggage, so sometimes 3 people with 3 bags have to order 2 taxi's because the big vehicles are non-existant.

Solution.: Go to the departure floor at the Airport, the taxi's up there are very happy to turn on the meter without any 50 thb surcharge.

But the price of fuel, oil per barrel is dropping throughout the world ? So what bullshit is this ? Everywhere else in the world where there are metered taxis, the drivers charge the price on the meter... carry and load bags into he vehicle with enthusiasm to get tips. Frankly Thai taxi drivers are bloody awful.. and the worst of the worst seem to work at that airport.

They are probably having to pay some mafia group for the privilege of picking up passengers at Suvarnabhum, just like the taxis that park in front of the Tesco Lotus near me have to pay the local police mafia for the privilege.... stop that and they won't need a baggage charge.

After having several "run ins" with the airport taxi guys, I voted with my feet. I never use them now, I arrange for a car and driver. I get a much nicer car, no hassle and no fighting about the meter or the route.

I know it costs a little more, however, for me after a long flight paying a little bit extra and having an enjoyable, quiet, hassle free ride is worth much more.

I reckon you're just the unlucky sort - I've probably taken over 50 cabs from the airport - never ONCE had a problem.

But then I don't fret about a few sarang!

You claim over 50 trips and have never had a problem?

Are you sure you are in the right forum, Taxi drivers charge in baht, not satang. It's not a few either it's multiple fares. It's not the cash either it's the principle of ripping off passengers.

You sure are magnanimous throwing around your satang, what about a few thousand baht extra? Is there a limit to your altruism?

If they want to charge me for my bag, I want sufficient space in the boot/trunk to put it in.

Hence most LPG vehicles can go back to doing the city work.

Having my suitcase in the back seat with me should not cost me money.

Now farang is really going to complain.

No other land transport charge extra for baggage.

Not train, not bus, not car rental; why on earth Thai taxi going to charge for baggage is beyond my logic.

Perhaps the happy Thai people's logic is a world different from mine.

I was charged for baggage by a taxi in Marseille once, can't argue with them as they really are mafia smile.png

Got charged excess baggage fee on a TRAIN in Canada while on a round the world trip. And it was only for one leg of that journey...from memory Montreal to Quebec. The only other time on that trip was from NY (from the small airport) to Niagara Falls.

logic is you paid for flying here so you can pay us more......

so charge more at Siam Paragon than Big C

charge more if I get off the BTS than the city bus ,

Charge more if I have a new iPhone than a 400baht cheap phone......

OHHH forget it , CHARGE us MORE because we are not Thai Taxi drivers so we must have more money than they do.......

you know they deserve it , you are in their country ........

"so charge more at Siam Paragon than Big C

charge more if I get off the BTS than the city bus ,

Charge more if I have a new iPhone than a 400baht cheap phone......"

...as every other country in the world does. Why pick on Thailand?

Edited by Sviss Geez

These people have had the shitty end of the stick for years, good for them!!!!!!;)

You clearly don't know anything about workers in Thailand! Most,if not all, taxi drivers bring in well over the minimum wage every day! Good working taxi drivers earn good money and you do not hear them complain!

Power to the taxi drivers!!!!!!

Are you a taxi driver?

No, just a fine upstanding citizen!!!

The bag fees will just go up, and meanwhile provide another avenue for ripoffs while in no way guaranteeing the meter will be used any more often. The fundamental problem is that taxi drivers see farangs and other possible tourists as prey, and they didn't care what the official fees were because they had no intention of being limited to those.

The answer here is simple and used elsewhere in the world, but the taxi operators won't like it and the government seems reluctant to adopt it:

Inside near the airport exits have clearly-identified taxi stations that collect fees, based on destination, posted for all to see. Provide a payment receipt, that is then handed to a dispatcher outside, who then assigns a taxi. Done, no arguments, no room for cheating tourists who arrive not knowing what's fair or legal.

As many have observed, many Thai's just don't like following rules. Whenever a rule comes out, they just want to say something else and cause confusion with the main rule. It never ends! They say that if you want to use the 'meter' then we want to change the rule to now charging for your bags over 15 kg. And then they say because the increase in fuel charges. Like I said, it's always smoke and mirrors.

Edited by ChiangraiTony

Taxis in Bkk are not suitable for carry passengers with luggage.

They have no space in the booth because of gas tank and it is NOT our problem or fault.

I would be very surprise if any where in the world taxi driver ask for extra money for my lagguage.

I could consider to give a tip if I have many lagguages but this is just extortion what happened in BKKcoffee1.gif

Their solution suggests a baggage charge should be officially set. One bag under 15 kilograms would be free. However passengers carrying two to four bags would be THB30 per bag, their fifth and sixth bags would be THB50 each, and every one after that would be charged THB80.

again talking and talking without thinking first.facepalm.gif

thai taxi run normally with gaz wich is installed into the trunk, so even 2 normal bags are many times difficult to fit in that trunk, so make the math....where are they going to put those 6 bags for 80 baths?

if the taxi fare on the meter is not enough and i agree with that .....just increase it, but dont come with stupid ideas,.....

the past governement also had a good great oneburp.gif.pagespeed.ce.RBpw6FUyRRlTrnUTOl

they wanted to obligate the thais to sell eggs by kilos instead of dozens....you can imagine the results.....well it took 2 mounth to return to normal situation

amazing thailand

coffee1.gif

I drove taxi's before sure it isn't easy listening to people piss and moan but I managed to do pretty well though. But adding a baggage charge get real half the drivers never lift a finger with help with bag. Now what I'm in favor of is say an 80 baht flag down charge half of which goes to driver also if more than two passengers unless there children an 50 baht extra fee per person. Would be more in line. Now When I use the taxi on say a 150 baht trip I pay 200 baht and say keep the change. Which I feel to be fair but either way always tip the driver.

They talking about old prices? Okay, but I think that prices are based on gasoline, and now they driving all on LPG or NVG, a big difference, I think so, maybe they have to lower the price instead of asking extra for lugage.

However, most of the time you have to put the lugage by yoursself in the trunk, another reason to get discount.

I used to always took a taxi, today I take the bus, the airportbus, much more comfortable, and much less hassle, and last but least considarably cheaper.

Charge me 30 baht extra if you want, I will simply deduct it off of whatever tip I would normally give the other end. WIN WIN

Remember... You will absolutely need the exact change otherwise they will keep that extra money hence they will automatically extract that tip right in front of your eyes, just like magic.

Use limosine service. No arguing. Nice clean cars. No problem.

Agreed. If this BS with the airport taxis continues, I will either use the limo service, or the airport train.

The train is actually cheaper, and during the day, faster than a taxi, plus I can connect to either MRT or BTS and end up within walking distance of my condo.

So yes, <deleted> the taxis.

it is the law , operators must use the meter . self entered dolts that lack any skills want more money for the same-o-same lacklustre service ? clean the taxi's up , get rid of the week old ass smell , shower every now and then . if you want more money you should have chose a different job , I know it is hard but being good at what you do is wonderful . at least a full third of the drivers suck , and always will . sooo sad .

Well clearly 80 Baht per bag is too much, but in reality many other countries charge for suitcases as an extra, ie look on the Internet for UK taxi firms anywhere in the UK, and you will see they all charge extra for suitcases.

I have been charged for suitcases according to the tariffs shown in the taxis in Paris, New York, Tokyo and many other Airports and towns.

Having said that I think a fair charge would be the same as airlines, ie 25Kg free then say 20 baht per suitcase.

They will just start refusing customers who dont have many bags then. Idiotic idea that is purely a tit for tat Thainess loss of face because of the Japanese rant.
From now on all EXPATS from every country should start posting on social media to destroy the corrupt Taxi business in Thailand.
I would also say that EASY TAXI, GRAB TAXI and UBER TAXI which will never charge for bags are our first and foremost go to, the more people who use it the more Taxi there will be and it will help erase these rude and obnoxious scum from Bangkok streets.
BOYCOTT

It's easy to avoid the mafia taxi cabs, just go to the top floor and exit there, the taxis arriving here are the ones dropping people off, just say "meter" to the driver, they will almost always say yes and away you go. The reason why the taxis at the official taxi pickup points will not go on the meter is they have to pay the bribe to the Gvt official who works there, the bribe can be as high as 200baht. If he put his meter on he'd lose money. Please don't blame the drivers for this, it's the system that has been set up and even if they do charge you 700 baht for a journey that'd cost 200 on the meter, realize that they had to pay a bribe already to pick you up. These taxi drivers are just trying to make a living, they are not rolling in dough and outside of the airport their rates are amazing. They'll let you hire them all day, taking you everywhere in Bangkok and waiting for you and protecting you from any rip off merchants for only 2 to 3 thousand baht for the whole day. That's cheaper than any tour guide. Also the drivers 'off meter' are better at speaking English.

To put it into perspective. In London I paid £70 for a taxi to Heathrow, it took 30 minutes. This was on the government set meter price. Yet we whine because we pay £12 for a journey that takes over an hour.

It is not easier to avoid "the taxi maffia", for a year it,s been they make a large fence on the top floor to avoid you can easily go to the taxi, you have to walk far around the fence, whit lots of luggage is not to do.

In some instances foreigners create their own problem. Complain about the fares! Some say they always leave a big tip. This is the start of the problem. If you're Thai, have a Thai girlfriend or wife, you will then see what tip ( if any) is given. This applies across all lines such as restaurants, hair-cuts, checking-into a hotel where they take your bags to your room.

Many times Foreigners don't follow what Thai's do when it comes to tipping. Once Thai's start to get decent tips from foreigners they expect more and more and believe that the foreigner needs to give money because they have more money then Thai.

I'll never forget when I came to BKK many years ago and went to Soi Cowboy. During low season there were guys taking girls out and only paying them very small money compared to what was the expected amounts.

Some foreigners would take a girl that hadn't had a date in awhile and was willing to take any reasonable amount. I've seen guys pay them 100 baht.

Anyhow, I remember walking past a place with one Middle Eastern man surrounded by about 20 bar girls. He was giving them all money and everyone was all smiles. I commented to my friend saying look at that. This guy has all those girls. My friend said to me, 'this guy is ruining it for all foreigners' he's throwing money at them and that's not good because in the future the girls will start to expect more.

Looking back now, he was correct. Prices increased and then they (the girls) started introducing the 'short time'. Years ago the bar girl wouldn't ask for money. They would always say 'up to you'.

They would stay with you until you told them to go. When it was time to help them with money, the proper thing to do was to place your Thai baht on the hotel dresser where the girl would pick it up and then be so appreciative. If you handed them the money they felt uncomfortable.

Moving the clock to the present, you can see how much things have changed. The girls now are more demanding expecting a lot of money. Usually they want short time with foreigner and that's after you pay a bar fine, then the girls wants to hang- out at the bar expecting you to buy her and her bar girls friends drinks for the rest of the night. If you choose not to do that, then you'd better expect to go to a restaurant to eat some seafood or something good with her and possibly a girlfriend or two.

Then finally you make it back to your hotel for a short-time.

In many ways it's the same with the taxi drivers. Some always expect a tip. Some will always expect to take your fare and not ever expect to provide you with your change.

My Thai family is the same. They think that because I'm a foreigner that I should automatically give them money. It has nothing to do with respect for me. I'm the old one. My age is older than my Thai mother, father, etc... It has nothing to do with the fact that they are healthy, have two hands, a mind, and the ability to work. No! They expect money and not once but again and again and again. It does not stop!

Same same with many in Thai. Taxi drivers, bar girls, many Thai families, etc... They believe all foreigners are rich. One thing that I always reflect on is that Thailand is NOT a poor country anymore. Those days are gone. Thai people do not get embarrassed to ask for money.

If you are a foreigner and choose to give your money then good for you and be happy that you have the money to give away and maybe even you have a big heart. But some foreigner have worked hard all their life, come to Thailand and many Thai's want to take that money from you. Like many a bar girl here in Thailand, they do believe that the ATM and the foreigner are one in the same.