LASIK: Bumrungrad or TRSC?

ibizajetsetter

If somebody were to start hacking at my eyes with a laser I'd want it to be a doctor at Rutnin - incontrovertibly the best (and probably most expensive) eye hospital in Thailand.

http://www.rutningimbel.com/eng/home.php?language=2

What makes them incontrovertibly the best? I checked them out, their prices are barely any different than TRSC or Bumrungrad.

Rutnin is a specialized eye hospital and indeed generally the bst choice for treatment of eye diseases (though as with anything, the choice of individual doctos is important).

However its main focus is treatment of eye pathologies, not elective refractive surgery, although they do it as well.

TSRC on the other hand does ntohing but elective refractive surgery. It was the first place to do refractive surgery in Thailand and does the largest volume of it, and is a top notch operation. They do an excellent job of clearly informing you of what results you can expect given your specific vision and also of clearly laying out and quantifiying risks. No hard sell at all, and no grandiose promises. They'll tell in clear percentages what your odds are of specific outcomes and complications and then let you decide.

• 9 months later...

I had a look at the TRSC website and it's very nice and flashy....but can anyone advise how much it costs? I'm generally interested in doing Lasik (or any of the other procedures) but how much do I have to put into the budget? Is it possible to have just the eye exam and if yes, how much is it?

The initial consultation is I think free.

During it they will advise you whether or not you are a candidate for refractive surgery and if so which type of procedure would be best and what type of outcome is likely. They will also fully inform of risks. And cost.

It costs slightly more to do each eye separately but has its advantges especially if you want monovision (undercorrect one eye so that you can see well up close as well as far....it is what I did and 20 years later I still don't need reading glasses).

• 2 weeks later...

ok, had my initial eye examination at TRSC. Took over three hours, wsa very thorough and the costs were 2,000 Baht. This being Thailand it immediately came with a 500 Baht discount. No arguing here.

I very much appreciated their zero pushing approach. It was rather like....be 1,000% sure that you REALLY want it as we want only happy customers. All risks were explained over and over again, it was rather a sales deterrent than anything.

They offered me three options: mono vision (their suggestion as best option for me), doing both eyes (which would require reading glasses for any activities within near range) and making one eye more short sighted than it already was, some sort of uber monovision, which would be better for short range but worse for long range viewing.

To get an idea of the monovision, they suggested putting a contact lens into the dominant eye and see how it goes. So I did and a couple of days later it was clear to me....I will not do it. Nightvision horrible, computer work almost not possible, in daytime walking around was good, though.

NB, this is my individual case and individual decision. I highly recommend their initial examination if you have the slightest interest into Lasik or similar procedures. I wish I had done the examination years ago as I always brushed glasses purchases aside, saying rather save that money for the lasik operation

Can only speak to mono vision in IOL lens implant but believe they would also be valid for you.

Night vision - no issues at all - suspect your issues may have been the additional contact lens light splatter.

Computer - larger font size required - or use of low value (about 1 doppler) reading glasses (which I use).

It did take some getting used to having good far vision but no close vision after a lifetime of it being the opposite but would do (mono far) again if making the choice now (after about a year). But than having reading glasses is not considered abnormal at my higher age.smile.png

Edit: on second reading appears mono vision in this case means one being adjusted to close only so probably my IOL would not be valid where I was thinking both eyes being set to one distance. Sorry.