Filthy beaches - so say the tourists

simon43

If it was only the litter ,it would be sad enough. The sadder part of the problem is raw sewage flowing onto many Phuket beaches.

Because of tuk tuks, jet skis,sewage and general degradation throughout the beach areas, My friends and I have taken a 3 year hiatus from Phuket.

There are plenty of places to go in SEA that truly appreciate tourist revenue and are doing the necessary things to attract visitors.

• 3 weeks later...

The last time I was there was January just gone and I didn't observe any noticeable levels of rubbish. Off the top of my head I visited patong, kata noi, Laem sing, Kamala and paradise beach. I did notice a few ciggie butts although that should no longer be a problem with the new rules.

Is it that maybe in high season the beaches are better maintained? I think there should be a city wide initiative to get all tourists and locals to do a litter pick for 30 mins a day before the sun sets. I would participate if they proposed such an initiative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wouldn't get too worked up about a few ciggie butts. At least they're biodegradable. At my local beach, eastern seaboard, I've found washing machine lids, syringes with needles, pharmaceutical products both tablet & liquid. And then there's the inevitable plastic bags, Styrofoam food containers, beer bottles (often broken). Never found any money though. But I keep looking.

Biodegradable cigarette butts? No, not the filter ones smoked all over the place.

Don't you know that if you're going to answer or comment on a post you are supposed to quote it. It is only polite to do so and notifies the user that somebody has made a comment on one of their posts rather than it being done behind their back. I would have thought that with over 11,000 posts to your name you would have got the hang of it by now.

The tobacco and wrapper are definately made from natural materials. The filter I thought was too. Are you telling me it isn't. Used to roll my own, but haven't smoked last 5 years.

Edited by Keesters

Biodegradable cigarette butts? No, not the filter ones smoked all over the place.

Don't you know that if you're going to answer or comment on a post you are supposed to quote it. It is only polite to do so and notifies the user that somebody has made a comment on one of their posts rather than it being done behind their back. I would have thought that with over 11,000 posts to your name you would have got the hang of it by now.

The tobacco and wrapper are definately made from natural materials. The filter I thought was too. Are you telling me it isn't. Used to roll my own, but haven't smoked last 5 years.

Yes, would love to quote, but the TV app is useless and makes highlighting very difficult, so almost impossible to show the part of your text I was reacting to.

And you're right, even the butts are biodegradable, it only takes up to 10 years for one to degrade.

Yes, would love to quote, but the TV app is useless and makes highlighting very difficult, so almost impossible to show the part of your text I was reacting to.

And you're right, even the butts are biodegradable, it only takes up to 10 years for one to degrade.

Quote and remove the useless bits. As long as the meaning is still clear is how I do it in the app. Checked the rules it seems acceptable.

10 years...mmmm...still a long time but a hell of a lot shorter than the sort of stuff I find dumped on the beach. Smaller as well but easier to be swallowed by some innocent bird or fish.

Slightly off topic but I use Tapatalk and the native functionality for quoting makes it a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't seen any comment about cleanliness education in the home and at school. Just like the next expat, I hate litter but when seen I remind myself that it's their own country they're trashing and it will never change in my lifetime.

In late 2013..Near the Klong in Cape Panwa, they put in nice large, heavy-duty blue bins every 20 meters, about 10 of them. The next morning, all but one had disappeared. Why the culprits left one is the real mystery.. I guess they figured 9 was a lucky number?

Wouldn't get too worked up about a few ciggie butts. At least they're biodegradable. At my local beach, eastern seaboard, I've found washing machine lids, syringes with needles, pharmaceutical products both tablet & liquid. And then there's the inevitable plastic bags, Styrofoam food containers, beer bottles (often broken). Never found any money though. But I keep looking.

Of all the litter on the beaches here, the syringes and broken beer bottles are of most concern.

It's one thing for the beach to have litter all over it, it's another thing entirely if some of that litter poses a serious risk of contracting a deadly disease and/or injury.

• Like 1