Define Luk Kreung term

CheesyLad

Actually, I believe it is translated to " half person", not half blood.

Not so nice huh?

But they do seem to be adored and by Thais.

Many of their most popular TV, movie, and music celebrities are half farang.

They love the tall nose and light skin.

My daughter is one ( not a celebrity ) and it is almost a problem that she is so popular.

Actually she is kind of a celebrity. People she does not know and has never met know her name and insist on talking to her.

While driving down the road, Thai people yell out her name and wave to her.

She is only 6 years old and this does make her pretty uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Louk means child and Kreung means half so it's not insulting. Normally Thais will say louk kreung falng or louk kreung yippon (Japanese).

A lot of the Thai movie and TV stars are louk kreung.

• Like 1

The WiKi describes it quite well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luk_khrueng

The reception/reputation of luk khrueng was not always that friendly/naive/curious as it might be today.

There was a negative attitude in the 60s and 70s due to the fact that most of the luk khrueng were offsprings from prostitution in the wake of the Vietnam war.

And also today there is and will always be a xenophobic tendency in parts of the Thai society.

Compare with your home countries!

These luk khrueng in the entertainment industry look like "court jesters" to me.

At the court, admired but not a member of the nobles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_luk_khrueng_people

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

tgeezer, on 24 Jan 2015 - 11:20, said:

When Tiger Woods came to Thailand friends were excited and proud that he was half Thai, they changed their opinion of him very quickly when he equivocated in an interview.

I don't see how he could equivocate, the facts are undeniable. He has also spoken out with conviction that he is half Thai and half Black not 100% Black as many people tended to think.

When Tiger Woods came to Thailand friends were excited and proud that he was half Thai, they changed their opinion of him very quickly when he equivocated in an interview.

I don't see how he could equivocate, the facts are undeniable. He has also spoken out with conviction that he is half Thai and half Black not 100% Black as many people tended to think.

The then Prime Minister Chavalet proposed making him a Thai citizen since his mother was Thai, there was a big uproar in The Expat community and in the Thai media, eventually like all bad ideas by Prime ministers it was forgotten.

The reception/reputation of luk khrueng was not always that friendly/naive/curious as it might be today.

There was a negative attitude in the 60s and 70s due to the fact that most of the luk khrueng were offsprings from prostitution in the wake of the Vietnam war.

And also today there is and will always be a xenophobic tendency in parts of the Thai society.

These luk khrueng in the entertainment industry look like "court jesters" to me.

Wiki should be ashamed of itself for saying a child who had no say on who it's parents were was looked down upon.

And what does the court jester reference mean exactly??

What a joke.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

My memory is only of friends changing their opinion of him after what he said in Thailand. One has just told me that he was not interested in any of the things they tried to bestow on him, citezenship, doctorate etc. also passion has cooled somewhat because "it was up to him, if not interested it's his affair" .

The then Prime Minister Chavalet proposed making him a Thai citizen since his mother was Thai, there was a big uproar in The Expat community and in the Thai media, eventually like all bad ideas by Prime ministers it was forgotten.

Anyone with a Thai parent can be a Thai citizen anytime they wish. It doesn't require special permission, just a birth certificate. Tiger isn't interested in it, but he still could any time he wants.

[quote name=tgeezer" CABLINASIAN

ost="8978989" timestamp="1422073211]tgeezer, on 24 Jan 2015 - 11:20, said:

No, he's 1/4 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 Black, 1/8 Native American and 1/4 White or "Cablinasian" as he calls himself.

ost="8978989" timestamp="1422073211"]tgeezer, on 24 Jan 2015 - 11:20, said:

No, he's 1/4 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 Black, 1/8 Native American and 1/4 White or

No, he's 1/4 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 Black, 1/8 Native American and 1/4 White or "Cablinasian" as he calls himself.

"The then Prime Minister Chavalet proposed making him a Thai citizen since his mother was Thai, there was a big uproar in The Expat community and in the Thai media, eventually like all bad ideas by Prime ministers it was forgotten."

Why was it a bad idea to give him a Thai passport if he is entitled to it?

The fact that he declined to accept one still doesn't make it a bad idea.

CheesyLadHi. Is the term "Luk Kreung" for those who are half thai/farang only? What about others like half thai/viet, half thai/Japanese, half thai/korean? Are they also called/considered "Luk Kreung"?

It's not just for half thai/farang eg half thai/Japanese are also called Luk Khreung by Thai.

• Like 1

Wiki should be ashamed of itself for saying a child who had no say on who it's parents were was looked down upon.

What a joke.

Wiki is only stating facts. If the facts are shameful then that is not Wikipedia's fault.

And yes, jesters usually joke!

My memory is only of friends changing their opinion of him after what he said in Thailand. One has just told me that he was not interested in any of the things they tried to bestow on him, citezenship, doctorate etc. also passion has cooled somewhat because "it was up to him, if not interested it's his affair" .

It also didn't help that his Thai mother stated she was categorically opposed to Tiger marrying a Thai ladybiggrin.png

That makes him a 1 and 1/8 person. That's pretty unique!

What a joke.

Wiki is only stating facts. If the facts are shameful then that is not Wikipedia's fault.

At one stage anyone could edit Wikipedia.

That makes him a 1 and 1/8 person. That's pretty unique!

My bad,

1/4 Thai, 1/4 Chinese, 1/4 Black, 1/8 Native American, 1/8 White.

What a joke.

Huh?

What a joke.

Huh?

Yep not long ago anyone could edit Wikipedia.

A town called Murray Bridge about 100km away from me, the mayor complained because someone had written every second house was a drug house. You can Google the story if you want. This was about 2 year's ago now.

Not sure if anyone can edit Wikipedia these days or not.

So if a look kung is half a person what does that make us falangs,zero?

In many cases,

not even a zero,

not even a number...

only three letters....A T M ! 555

Sure you are if that's what you choose to see.