Making Complaints and Conflict Resolution in TH

eldragon

How do you effectively make complaints and/or resolve conflicts in TH? Bc I'm all out of ideas. It just seems like there is no way to say anything negative about someone or their business/employees to their face without them getting scared or overly defensive. No matter how calm you are or how big your smile is, there's always some excuse. Or it gets turned back on you ("Don't be serious!", "Jai yen!", etc.). It just seems like many times there's no accountability here.

Agree. My favorite is when they forget to do something then blame you. An example is you eat a meal in a restaurant, then pay the bill, but they forget to charge you for the coffee you drank. Then they go running after you, exclaiming that "You forget to pay for coffee."

• Like 1

Agree. My favorite is when they forget to do something then blame you. An example is you eat a meal in a restaurant, then pay the bill, but they forget to charge you for the coffee you drank. Then they go running after you, exclaiming that "You forget to pay for coffee."

I guess that beats getting charged for the coffee that never came.

• Like 1

Just get used to it, that's the way they roll.

I used to jump up and down when they brought me the wrong food order, now I just eat it.

Valium helps.

Food is one thing. But when you've invested in anything of real value and you don't get what you agreed on, it becomes a very frustrating situation. There's also the matter of neighbors, co-workers, etc. that seemingly don't care about improving a situation.

• Like 1

Eldragon:

Non-verbal communication plays a very important role.

Constructive criticism is an unfamiliar concept. If you have a complaint, keep it as succinct as possible. Holding court about all the ways some one can improve is rarely well received anywhere.

Ask to speak to the manager in private, rather than trying to train the offending employee yourself.

A lot of communication occurs through eye contact. A quick look of disapproval can express more than launching into a rant.

Cool silence often gives you the upper hand. Think pregnant pause.

Corny and trite, but nevertheless true: never lose your cool.

If you lose your cool, you may win the battle, but always lose the war.

This is really good advice. Thanks.

Edited by eldragon

Eldragon:

Non-verbal communication plays a very important role.

Constructive criticism is an unfamiliar concept. If you have a complaint, keep it as succinct as possible. Holding court about all the ways some one can improve is rarely well received anywhere.

Ask to speak to the manager in private, rather than trying to train the offending employee yourself.

A lot of communication occurs through eye contact. A quick look of disapproval can express more than launching into a rant.

Cool silence often gives you the upper hand. Think pregnant pause.

Corny and trite, but nevertheless true: never lose your cool.

If you lose your cool, you may win the battle, but always lose the war.

On the rare occasions when I had cause to complain about something and asked to see the boss, the excuses I received were, the boss is not here, the boss is on holiday, the boss is at his grandmother`s funeral or no one knows where the boss is or what time he will return or whether he will actually return at all. It seems the policy is; never ever get the boss involved or if they are the boss don`t admit to being the boss, with the objective being to get the customer out the door as fast as possible, by either giving the customer a what`s your problem glance, or grin in the customers face, or just give the customer a blank stare as to give the message, I know nothhhhinnng, wear the customer down and hopefully he will turn his back, walk out never to be seen or heard of again.

I have never experienced anything more frustrating than trying to make a complaint in Thailand where usually the customer gets nowhere fast. Many times in the past I have just given up and written things off to experience. When it comes to consumer protection and customers rights, Thailand must fall at the bottom of the league. In Thailand the philosophy is, a customer in need, is to be regarded as no more than an inconvenience, we have your money so peees oft.

• Like 1