Ipv6

stubuzz

ThaiVisa mentions of IPv6

Started by nullx8, 2014-07-15 23:07
gosompoi -- Posted 2013-08-09 16:59:41
"TOT just updated the routers for my area two days ago to support IPv6 ... I would not have noticed their equipment swap except they made a gateway setting error which took one of our networks down temporarily. In diagnosing the error and correcting wan IP settings manually I noticed all my routers and computers were getting IPv6 information populated from the new upstream TOT equipment."

Some mobile and wired ISP users have reported being dynamically issued IPv6 addresses. But... end-user native IPv6 packets in Thailand are still currently more likely to be misrouted, time out, or be completely lost. You'll find many a post of people visiting Thailand who have to figure out how to disable IPv6 on their equipment to keep it from using IPv6 and timing out.

Also, for reference:

Top 25 internet service providers for IPv6 in Thailand (Dec 2014)

Hurricane Electric IPv4 / IPv6 Adjacencies & Routes report for Thailand

• 3 months later...

We're using AIS fiber here. The mechanic was so nice to set our modem in bridge mode so we can use our own router with DD-WRT firmware and all its options. For us it's an ideal situation. Last time I tried native IPv6 the router simply did not get an IP prefix from the ISP. I'm guessing that hasn't changed in a few months time. DD-WRT has full support for v6 tunnelbrokers such as HE.net and that works great but actually a tunnel isn't ideal for standard use since all traffic is routed less optimally. And of course the added overhead doesn't improve things either. Notably Google services are less responsive with such a tunnel enabled. For these reasons I disabled the tunnel a while ago.

Does anyone know of solid IPv6 plans in Thailand and possibly other countries in the area? You would think that especially SE Asia wants to move on to IPv6 much more quickly compared to western countries that still have an abundance of IPv4 addresses. Yet it seems to be the other way around with notably the USA and Belgium being the current world leaders in IPv6 traffic percentages.