Thais invited to watch comet Lovejoy next week

webfact

Thais invited to watch comet Lovejoy next week
By Digital Content

14220903581632-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 25 -- The National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) is inviting the public to observe the comet Lovejoy with its glowing green tail on January 30 before it leaves on its 8,000 year journey

NARIT Deputy Director Dr Saran Poshyachinda revealed that the public would be able to witness another astronomical phenomenon at the end of this month, as the comet Lovejoy, C/2014 Q2, would make its closest approach to our Sun on January 30 for the last leg of its journey near the earth.

He said the comet had already sailed past its closest to the earth, at around 70 million kilometres away, on January 7.

Dr Saran said the comet with its magnificent green tail would appear on the right of the Taurus constellation near the Pleiades star cluster on the evening of January 30.

He said the public would be able to see the comet passing through the sky with naked eyes in a dark location with clear sky.

A telescope would help to provide better vision and the interested public should start to look for the comet in the sky towards the East, starting at 7 pm, Thailand's time.

The comet Lovejoy was discovered by an Australian amateur astronomer, Terry Lovejoy in August of 2014 and was the fifth comet that he has detected since 2011. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2015-01-25

• Like 1

whistling.gif

He said the public would be able to see the comet passing through the sky with naked eyes in a dark location with clear sky.

---------------------

And exactly where would such a viewpoint be located if you happen to live on the 6th floor of a building only 100 meters away from an "entertainment and shopping" area in Bangkok?

On most clear nights, I'm lucky to be able to even see the moon from my room due to the lights outside.

Not to mention the condo buildings all around me.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

whistling.gif

---------------------

And exactly where would such a viewpoint be located if you happen to live on the 6th floor of a building only 100 meters away from an "entertainment and shopping" area in Bangkok?

On most clear nights, I'm lucky to be able to even see the moon from my room due to the lights outside.

You're one of the ones who will have to buy the DVD.

I myself saw the DVD, and can reveal the ending ...

... the comet doesn't get blown-up by Bruce Willis' American or Bruce Lee's Chinese expeditions, makes a clean getaway, and lives happily ever after in Dubai ! tongue.png

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

whistling.gif

---------------------

You have legs I presume .. use them!

Dr Saran said the comet with its magnificent green tail would appear on the right of the Taurus constellation near the Pleiades star cluster on the evening of January 3

Seriously, you think most Thai's know where these stars, constellations and clusters are?

Dr. Saran seems to have forgot to tell Thai's that you will also need Bino's ;)

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-comet-lovejoy-asteroid-california-20150122-story.html

Edited by Fat Haggis
  • Like 1

Dr Saran said the comet with its magnificent green tail would appear on the right of the Taurus constellation near the Pleiades star cluster on the evening of January 3

Seriously, you think most Thai's know where these stars, constellations and clusters are?

Dr. Saran seems to have forgot to tell Thai's that you will also need Bino's wink.png

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-comet-lovejoy-asteroid-california-20150122-story.html

Most foreigners wouldn't know where to look either. He did say to look towards the east from about 7pm and that binoculars would help, or words to that effect.

Would be nice if farangs were invited too. We can pay double.

This is a gift from dear leader to Thai's, farangs can get thier own comet.

This is already an Australian Comet ( sort of)... the Thais can waste their money on postage sending thank you cards for the invite. The rest of the world can watch it free without an invitation.

The last meteor shower was well worth viewing for some Thais in our family.

Fortunately upcountry it does take a long trip to find dark skys.

Just have to beware of the snakes and whatever crawls through the night out in the sticks smile.png

When I show my Thai friends Google Sky app, it blows their minds. Not a single one of them, even the most educated of the bunch, knows hardly anything about the universe. I often have to explain to them that "falling stars" are not really stars, and that our sun, a star, is just one of trillions in the universe, and that all the visible stars in the sky are suns like ours, but larger. But I always lose them when I try to explain the speed of light and how many millions / billions of years the light from some of those stars have traveled so that we can see them. All things most westerners have known since grade school, but they just can't comprehend.

It boggles the mind how little most of them know. It's sad really. These are things that should be taught to them as children, and it really doesn't take long to do so.

• Like 2

Dr. Saran seems to have forgot to tell Thai's that you will also need Bino's ;)

Its not just Thais that are likely a bit hazy about celestial bodies Haggis! I am okay with the pole star and Orion's Belt, the rest no chance.

Last time I tried to navigate by the stars bastard thing landed at Bristol Airport just as I was getting the hang of it!

• Like 1

When I show my Thai friends Google Sky app, it blows their minds. Not a single one of them, even the most educated of the bunch, knows hardly anything about the universe. I often have to explain to them that "falling stars" are not really stars, and that our sun, a star, is just one of trillions in the universe, and that all the visible stars in the sky are suns like ours, but larger. But I always lose them when I try to explain the speed of light and how many millions / billions of years the light from some of those stars have traveled so that we can see them. All things most westerners have known since grade school, but they just can't comprehend.

It boggles the mind how little most of them know. It's sad really. These are things that should be taught to them as children, and it really doesn't take long to do so.

Wow.. what a buzz-kill to Thai supremacy of the universe. giggle.gif