Free navigable Garmin-compatible maps

Well it can be discussed if buying a dedicated gps unit is worth it or not, for some like me it is.

I don't use any data package for my phone and getting a phone charged on a bike take some setting up to do.

I mean if your phones gps and data connections are on, it must be using a fair amount of power.

I also like the dedicated bracket (as seen on RSD's photos) where the gps sits very secure and getting charged also.

Even on small trips on my big bike, I click it in and go.

I once tried using my phone in my truck as gps unit and it didn't work very well, sometimes no gps signal due to likely window film fitted but on the garmin no problem.

But as mentioned, if you are happy with your phone as gps unit, stick with it.

You can buy very cheap gps units (4000-5000 baht garmins) and put them in garmin plastic bags soo.

The only thing which is still up in the air is ..is Garmin maps for thailand, especially bangkok better than OSM maps and Google maps?

I bought my first Garmin from Power Station HD. At that time they came pre-loaded with the same maps the PEA uses in Thailand.

So wherever there is power transmission lines the roads are shown.

Even had to turn around some times - the power line was in but the road was not finished.

Well it can be discussed if buying a dedicated gps unit is worth it or not, for some like me it is.

I don't use any data package for my phone and getting a phone charged on a bike take some setting up to do.

I mean if your phones gps and data connections are on, it must be using a fair amount of power.

I also like the dedicated bracket (as seen on RSD's photos) where the gps sits very secure and getting charged also.

Even on small trips on my big bike, I click it in and go.

I once tried using my phone in my truck as gps unit and it didn't work very well, sometimes no gps signal due to likely window film fitted but on the garmin no problem.

But as mentioned, if you are happy with your phone as gps unit, stick with it.

You can buy very cheap gps units (4000-5000 baht garmins) and put them in garmin plastic bags soo.

Not trying to change your mind and I\m glad you like your Garmin unit, just want to point out that the phone apps we are discussing here (both Locus and Sygic) don't use any data, all the maps are stored on the phone for off-line use.

• Like 1

Me, forever looking at new projects, am thinking about trying out a Garmin Navi 2597 on my bike. Lifetime maps. will mount to my ram mount (not with X grip crap though).Can get sent from overseas (new) for 4000, baht.

Looking at another motorcycling adventure forum (not thai based) seems that a few people have successfully got this model to work and reliably too. With various waterproofing methods.

Cheap way to look over the fence onto the garmin camp.

• Like 1

Not trying to change your mind and I\m glad you like your Garmin unit, just want to point out that the phone apps we are discussing here (both Locus and Sygic) don't use any data, all the maps are stored on the phone for off-line use.

I know man.wink.png

I have the sygic maps as well on my phone and they are nowhere as detailed as the garmin maps.

Base camp is awesome man, you can plan your trip in great detail if you want, just see Dualsportsbiker's trip around the entire Thai border in another topic.

As mentioned before a 4000 baht garmin uses same maps as the top of the range bike zumo's does so it don't has to be expensive to join the party.

Just make sure it comes with mini sd card option, then you can have many different countries maps stored if you want.