Lately I Have Been Drinking Too Much....

sanook mai?

I usually have a good grip on self control when it comes to drinking. Since i been in LOS (this time over a year) I never let myself get so drunk that I cant function. This last time though is an exception!

I went to a bar where I am a regular at. There was a lady I met there for the first time (apparently she was new). I talked to her for a bit. She asked me where I am staying and I mentioned the name of the hotel (I did not invite her to my room). So I left the bar and went to a few others. Later I returned to my hotel - wasted. I was surprised to (not too surprised it is expected in LOS..lol) find the girl I spoke to along with her friend waiting for me in the guest area.

Being drunk and unable to function properly I went up to my room (obviously the girls followed me!). I immediately passed out on my bed. The next thing I knew it was 9AM the next day, my wallet was dry (I only had 400baht) and my camera and cell phone were gone!

I tried to solve this problem with the bar - they know me - before filing a complaint with the police. Since I was unable to get anywhere with the bar I filed a complaint. Although I got one of the ladies in the bar to confront the lady involved. The lady that confronted her said that she can pay for the phone but not the camera which led me to think that the lady involved confessed to stealing those things from me. Anyway, I filed the complaint and do not know what is worse - getting ripped off or filing a complaint at the police station! :o What should have only taken 45 minutes at most, wound up taking 3 fricken hours!!

What was funny though was that when I told the thai people I know in the area about my misfortune they all blamed me (thai style). Of course I should not have been that drunk, but these girls took advantage of me and were clearly very bad to say the least.

The moral of the story kids :D is that dont get this drunk especially in LOS.

I have only gotten ripped off twice in LOS within my year out here (this time) - which I think is a preety good record. I got pick pocketed during Songkran which is expected since there were tons of people out (I was at Koh san road) and the time mentioned above ( which was due partially to carelessness on my part).

I think I been drinking more on weekends since I am lonely in the village I live in. I teach in a village where no one speaks english and I am the only farang. Then I go into town on the weekends (the only time I can go) where I splurge a bit.

I am not an alcholic, but since being in LOS I have been drinking more than back home.

Thoughts anyone? :D

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
I usually have a good grip on self control when it comes to drinking. Since i been in LOS (this time over a year) I never let myself get so drunk that I cant function. This last time though is an exception!

I went to a bar where I am a regular at. There was a lady I met there for the first time (apparently she was new). I talked to her for a bit. She asked me where I am staying and I mentioned the name of the hotel (I did not invite her to my room). So I left the bar and went to a few others. Later I returned to my hotel - wasted. I was surprised to (not too surprised it is expected in LOS..lol) find the girl I spoke to along with her friend waiting for me in the guest area.

Being drunk and unable to function properly I went up to my room (obviously the girls followed me!). I immediately passed out on my bed. The next thing I knew it was 9AM the next day, my wallet was dry (I only had 400baht) and my camera and cell phone were gone!

I tried to solve this problem with the bar - they know me - before filing a complaint with the police. Since I was unable to get anywhere with the bar I filed a complaint. Although I got one of the ladies in the bar to confront the lady involved. The lady that confronted her said that she can pay for the phone but not the camera which led me to think that the lady involved confessed to stealing those things from me. Anyway, I filed the complaint and do not know what is worse - getting ripped off or filing a complaint at the police station! :o What should have only taken 45 minutes at most, wound up taking 3 fricken hours!!

What was funny though was that when I told the thai people I know in the area about my misfortune they all blamed me (thai style). Of course I should not have been that drunk, but these girls took advantage of me and were clearly very bad to say the least.

The moral of the story kids :D is that dont get this drunk especially in LOS.

I have only gotten ripped off twice in LOS within my year out here (this time) - which I think is a preety good record. I got pick pocketed during Songkran which is expected since there were tons of people out (I was at Koh san road) and the time mentioned above ( which was due partially to carelessness on my part).

I think I been drinking more on weekends since I am lonely in the village I live in. I teach in a village where no one speaks english and I am the only farang. Then I go into town on the weekends (the only time I can go) where I splurge a bit.

I am not an alcholic, but since being in LOS I have been drinking more than back home.

Thoughts anyone? :D

Thanks

First of all, apart from filing the complaint at the police station, you didn't accidentally forget to pay them to also investigate the complaint did you? I am not sure what the going rate is for a camera and a mobile phone, but it's amazing how quickly these cases can get solved! Or at least try to get your sim-card back!

I am not native English, and I am not sure about the difference between "to blame" or "your fault". You were not to blame for what happened, but it was your fault. Maybe it's the same after all actually. Either way it's not fair, but it's the way it is.

There's another topic on whether or not you're an alcoholic. I am/have been for a long time, but also before moving to Thailand 6 years ago!

Also, since I do know enough of English to comprehend the difference between "alone" and "lonely", so you should really ask yourself if you really want to be/feel lonely?

I'd just put it down to bad luck and a lesson learned.

You should be a little more cautious talking to anyone in a bar.

In future , if you are going to get extremely "tired and emotional" , try to

see there is a friend to get you home.

:o

You reminded me of many occasions when I had too much to drink and was robbed.

In my experience, the Thai people are really considerate to "kee mao"(drunks), I did things here that would have got me beaten up or killed where I used to live - Leith in Scotland.

I presume the girls were hookers - the ones in my home town would do a lot worse to you!

It's similar to if there was a Saudi Arabian Sheik pissed out his head walking the streets of Edinburgh - don't you think some 'good' girls might be tempted to go back with him to his hotel?

Learn to speak the local language.

Get a girlfriend who will look after you and keep you out of trouble.

Choose better bars to drink in.

Thailand is a safe place to get smashed in my opinion.