Bill Gates: HIV under control by 2030

Jingthing

So there it is.

For babies born today they will generally not have to worry about HIV anymore.

That is wonderful.clap2.gif

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/jan/24/bill-gates-hiv-vaccine-2030-intense-drugs-aids

Bill Gates believes that a vaccine and new intensive drugs to combat HIV should be available by 2030 and end most new cases of the virus that has killed millions in the past three decades.

However, I for one, never expected it to take this long!

In my 20's I lost so many people to HIV. At that time, I thought surely by the time I was 50 there would be BOTH a vaccine AND a cure. I even thought I was probably being overly pessimistic about the timing back then.

So now still waiting another 15 years for HIV to be mostly under control?

It seems I was overly optimistic.

__________Note:______________

Posting this is in the gay forum, because:

HIV is still a major health threat to gay people.

It is not allowed to post health news in the general health forum (where it would fit better)

Edited by Jingthing

Good news. The only problem is I believe another deadly disease will replace it.

Entirely possible. But it would probably be a virus so perhaps the knowledge gained to solve the HIV puzzle can be more quickly applied to something new.

Edited by Jingthing

Good news. The only problem is I believe another deadly disease will replace it.

Entirely possible. But it would probably be a virus so perhaps the knowledge gained to solve the HIV puzzle can be more quickly applied to something new.

Hopefully. Cancer at 1 in 3 people now. :(

Hopefully. Cancer at 1 in 3 people now. sad.png

There has been some great progress with that as well ... the trend is individual customization rather than one treatment fits all people. But that's expensive.