Huge New Building Site

Old Croc

On CF West, just to the north of the new (round) hospital and south of Central Tunnel is a massive cleared area. Site offices have been placed in the middle.

Too big for a new shopping centre, I guess it will be yet another closed housing estate with hundreds of identical dwellings?

Anyone know what it will become?

• 2 months later...

Driving past today I noticed 5 or 6 large cranes operating on this site with another entering as I looked.

There appears to be the shell of a large building taking shape behind the walls.

It doesn't appear to be another housing community, anyone know what's going on?

post-18822-0-94250700-1429809799_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

The sign seen from Choafa West says Kings Power for some time now.
On the nearby road (rear entrance to King Power?) to the new Head Start school, there is a fairly new gem shop that went from 35 buses parked there 3 or 4 weeks ago to 50+ buses yesterday.
So, yes, the Chinese or Koreans are in there doing something. Spending money? or just looking?
I imagine if their tour guide says: "Buy something" ! They will.

I wonder who owns THAT place.

Whats there to do on a rainy day?
Shop!

I have a few good Thai friends who were born in Phuket. They tell me that Phuket will become Singapore. When I tell them that Singapore is built on the cornerstones of efficient public transport, strict rule of law, rigourous enforcement, and world class waste management, their eyes roll back in their heads.

Just imagine if the Patong tuk tuks tried to pull their blockade shit in Singapore.

Thanks.

If the above answers are correct I guess Phuket is continuing to morph into one big shopping outlet for the Chinese.

Where will it end?

With you leaving Phuket for good. Just like I did earlier this year.

Sadly, that is / will be the outcome for many here.

I saw the last hope for Phuket as the military coup. Now, over 12 months later, all there is to show for it is some beach encroachment clean-up.

There will be no positive changes, of any substance, in the future, on Phuket.

Central are building up the road on the corner where Thai Naan used to be. Slated to open in 2017 it will feature a huge aquarium. I did not realise the King Power complex would also house a new The Mall. Nothing happening on the new centre which was going to stretch for 1 1/2km behind Billion Plaze although further down that road there is another duty free outlet being built. With some flash highways & an ultra efficient public transport system maybe we can rival Singapore.

The large tour buses carting the Chinese hordes around are already clogging up our congested roads & taking up the shoulder space outside many of the latex/jewellery outfits bringing in truckloads of money to the select few while the street level businesses suffer.

<snip>

Nothing happening on the new centre which was going to stretch for 1 1/2km behind Billion Plaze although further down that road there is another duty free outlet being built.

<snip>

Yes, I've been wondering about that new center behind Billion Plaza too. A little over a year ago there was a story in PN about it - to be named Blu Pearl and developed by The Mall Group. Absolutely nothing going on at that site over a year later, although some big sewer/drainage improvements were completed along the roadway recently.

I really wish that the local media outlets would do follow-up stories when they report on something that never happens. What happened to the Ikea outlet that was reported to be opening in July? Last year PN ran a big story including an interview with the GM in Bangkok, but now all is quiet and there's no such outlet.

<snip>

Nothing happening on the new centre which was going to stretch for 1 1/2km behind Billion Plaze although further down that road there is another duty free outlet being built.

<snip>

Yes, I've been wondering about that new center behind Billion Plaza too. A little over a year ago there was a story in PN about it - to be named Blu Pearl and developed by The Mall Group. Absolutely nothing going on at that site over a year later, although some big sewer/drainage improvements were completed along the roadway recently.

I really wish that the local media outlets would do follow-up stories when they report on something that never happens. What happened to the Ikea outlet that was reported to be opening in July? Last year PN ran a big story including an interview with the GM in Bangkok, but now all is quiet and there's no such outlet.

If The Mall is truly part of the King Power complex then I guess they do not need the one behind Billion.

• 3 months later...

That building is going to be the new King Power duty free showroom. Just another bus stop for the tour buses.

King power dutyfree prices. whistling.gif

I recently priced up some makeup for the wife.

Bahrain Dutyfree US$120

Siam Paragon US$100

Suwannaphum King Power US$150

The only thing duty free about King Power is the name. Prices certainly are not duty free and are sometimes more than retail that I've seen.

Dont worry because they only accept pre planned tours and nobody rolling up will allowed to shop.

Its a tourist trap of a special kind.

The only thing duty free about King Power is the name. Prices certainly are not duty free and are sometimes more than retail that I've seen.

Dont worry because they only accept pre planned tours and nobody rolling up will allowed to shop.

Its a tourist trap of a special kind.

The Chinese hordes will be fodder for the cash registers.

Then there is the huge one by the 2 Heroines, ,ore being built on the road from Honda to the university, I am guessing Bukis next to Central will also have them piling in there (these are not King Power but highlighting the monoliths which will turn into ghost houses when the Chinese wake up & stop coming).

Edited by Valentine