Koh Tao mayor blasts UK media's 'negative reporting'

webfact

"It may mislead foreign tourists who have never been to Koh Tao to think that Koh Tao is full of mafia who like to kill or exploit foreign tourists," Chaiyan said. "This is really what some foreign tourists think. I've seen them talking on social media."

You don't say? He's going to have a hard time working this one out, at least until the next fatality.

Quite a few of those of us who HAVE visited also think that it is run by a mafia who seek to exploit tourists. Don't think the mafia actually planned to kill tourists - no profit in it - but nor do I think it was the Burmese.

Quite a lot of Thais seem to think KT is full of gangsters killing foreign tourists too.

Can't think why?

Maybe it's because when a girl dies unexpectedly the police have the body out of the room within 15mins of discovery.

Maybe it's because when two brits are battered to death the police announce it was obviously a gay person that did it because she wore bikinis on the beach.

Maybe it's because of the foreign guys who commit suicide with their hands tied behind their back.

Maybe it's because of all the dead foreign men who float around the island.

Or something else?

Maybe the mayor should get his head out of his _ _ _ or stop denying/covering-up a more-than-apparent mafia problem in Thailand. It seems safe to believe that if authorities/politicians in Thailand are not willing to discuss or acknowledge that there is a mafia or problems related to such a group; usually indicates involvement or condoning-of.

Edited by freedom4life
  • Like 1

Angered???...Gee I wonder why?...Time to wake up Mr Mayor and stop your crying

The British press have got it wrong again (as they did with Hannah and David's murder).

The murdered woman's family have stated that she died of natural causes and not under suspicious circumstances!!

If they (the UK gutter press) had written about there being a Mafia culture on Koh Toh then fair enough BUT linking this death to Mafia gangs is bang out of order and I don't blame the Mayor for being enraged about shoddy/outrageous reporting.

Quite a lot of Thais seem to think KT is full of gangsters killing foreign tourists too.

Can't think why?

Maybe it's because when a girl dies unexpectedly the police have the body out of the room within 15mins of discovery.

Maybe it's because when two brits are battered to death the police announce it was obviously a gay person that did it because she wore bikinis on the beach.

Maybe it's because of the foreign guys who commit suicide with their hands tied behind their back.

Maybe it's because of all the dead foreign men who float around the island.

Or something else?

That just about covers it!

• Like 2

The Western media NEVER over-blows the news, especially when a gruesome crime happens in an exotic location to two attractive, young people.

All this coverage is just what's called "freedom of the press". That's all. thumbsup.gif

The mayor should relax. A lot of potential travellers have now heard about Ko Tao who would have never heard of it before... and people still book beach holidays on Sicily, Mafia or otherwise.

Well said, JLCrab. You are dead right. Lots of pointless hot air. All publicity is good publicity. I think what's going on in Ko Tao is a conspiracy between TAT and big business here. Conspiracy theories are all the rage right now, right?

So I take it, from the avalanche of people attacking the Mayor, that they are perfectly OK with the press resorting to rumor mongering then?

"Mayor Chaiyan Turasakul said he is angered by unspecified "British media agencies" who have suggested that the death of the tourist, Christina Annesley, is connected to an alleged "mafia" syndicate on Koh Tao island."

There is no indication whatsoever that the death of that woman was in any way connected with a mafia syndicate, none, zero.

Is it too much to ask of the press not to peddle sensationalist speculation?

Surely the mayor will appreciate your unrelenting support. As do all his relatives than own these resorts that so many people get raped, murdered, and die suspiciously so often.

Your hard work defending this island, police, and all the nasty families, like a soi dog does with his bone, is so desperately appreciated by these scum respected people.

Looks like your're singing from a different song sheet yet again AleG.

• Like 2

I wonder what he will say after the next unexplained death? Should happen soon enough.

You can guarantee at least one by Easter Monday (ie the end of Northern Hemisphere winter/high season).

Edited by evadgib

So I take it, from the avalanche of people attacking the Mayor, that they are perfectly OK with the press resorting to rumor mongering then?

"Mayor Chaiyan Turasakul said he is angered by unspecified "British media agencies" who have suggested that the death of the tourist, Christina Annesley, is connected to an alleged "mafia" syndicate on Koh Tao island."

There is no indication whatsoever that the death of that woman was in any way connected with a mafia syndicate, none, zero.

Surely the mayor will appreciate your unrelenting support. As do all his relatives than own these resorts that so many people get raped, murdered, and die suspiciously so often.

Your hard work defending this island, police, and all the nasty families, like a soi dog does with his bone, is so desperately appreciated by these scum respected people.

Flaming commentary aside.

This has little to do with the Mayor of Koh Tao, you don't find anything objectionable if the press pushes a story that is not supported by facts?

The ethical prerogative of the press is to inform the public, not to manufacture public outrage.

maybe change the Island Name DEATH ISLAND ,get new kind tourist

As Koh Tao attracts so many young backpackers and other deceased souls shouldn't TAT (with the Mayor's permission) start a campaign using the punchline 'Welcome to Youth in Asia'?

That's gonna go over a few heads:)

• Like 2

maybe change the Island Name DEATH ISLAND ,get new kind tourist

It seems to me that CONCEPTION ISLAND would be a better name since I'm sure a lot more tourists have been conceived on Koh Tao than murdered there. Just a hunch, though.

Edited by TomJoad
  • Like 2

Flaming commentary aside.

This has little to do with the Mayor of Koh Tao, you don't find anything objectionable if the press pushes a story that is not supported by facts?

The ethical prerogative of the press is to inform the public, not to manufacture public outrage.

What story that's not supported by facts?

• Like 1

Angered???...Gee I wonder why?...Time to wake up Mr Mayor and stop your crying

The British press have got it wrong again (as they did with Hannah and David's murder).

The murdered woman's family have stated that she died of natural causes and not under suspicious circumstances!!

If they (the UK gutter press) had written about there being a Mafia culture on Koh Toh then fair enough BUT linking this death to Mafia gangs is bang out of order and I don't blame the Mayor for being enraged about shoddy/outrageous reporting.

Perhaps you can clear something up for me? The family stated she died from natural causes based on the fact the tweeted that she'd bought some antibiotics and was never heard from again, correct? So who told the family their daughter died from natural causes? In the article it says "Police have yet to determine the cause of death for Annesley". Perhaps you can clear this up for us please?

She was also taking tramadol (strong pain killer), valium (strong anti-anxiety drug) and drinking alcohol as well as the anti-biotiics for her chronic chest infection. There was no signs of violence, theft, bruises on the body or anything being disturbed in the room!!

Her parents do not see her death as being suspicious (they have stated so) so where does the Mafia come in on this?

Now please tell how and why you agree with the UK press in implying that her death has something to do with them.

• Like 1

What a bad sense of country representation. The mayor should focus his frustration on the corrupt officials that use the system for personal gain. Thai people general are kind but the powers to be. Pilege the community turning there citizens into wolves.

The system is severly floored. The police corruption is a disease. I just the other day stopped on bike with my revered Thai GF

The mayor is one of the corrupt officials