Canal Road to Inthanon

LarryBird

I had heard that Canal Road can now be taken straight down to Inthanon, (or at least you can get there via canal road without hooking up to Hang Dong Road..) so I went and at least checked out where the new road meets Canal Road. It really looks great, although I only travelled the road for about one mile. Some nice farms, a beautiful road, etc.. I have friends that have taken it down to the Doi Inthanon golf course.. Does anyone know the story of this road? Why 'they' built it, are there anymore plans? It was exciting to see the new infrastructure..

Not sure if it is an extension of the 106 but certainly joins it well past San Patong.

Turn right at the lights at 108/106 junction and just 10 more minutes to Inthanon golf course. Completely bypasses Hang Dong & San Patong.

Cross the 108 and it's on to Lamphun west.

Yet another reason why the new proposed Chiangmai - Lamphun highway is a waste of time and money.

• Like 1

Yes, the canal road now bypasses the always dreaded bottleneck in Sapatong making far more enjoyable the trip to Doi Inthanon or up to Mae Win where you can take the scenic back road to Doi Inthanon as well.

• Like 1

Not sure if it is an extension of the 106 but certainly joins it well past San Patong.

Turn right at the lights at 108/106 junction and just 10 more minutes to Inthanon golf course. Completely bypasses Hang Dong & San Patong.

Yet another reason why the new proposed Chiangmai - Lamphun highway is a waste of time and money.

The 108 and 106 don't intersect at any point. When the canal road crosses the 108, you continue along the 116 which intersects with the 108 17km south of Lamphun. The road that heads into Lamphun from the west is the 1015, not a major road at all.

If you want to put together an argument against the Chiangmai - Lamphun highway, you really need to get your facts straight.

The 108 and 106 don't intersect at any point. When the canal road crosses the 108, you continue along the 116 which intersects with the 108 17km south of Lamphun. The road that heads into Lamphun from the west is the 1015, not a major road at all.

If you want to put together an argument against the Chiangmai - Lamphun highway, you really need to get your facts straight.

Sorry, I thought the 1015 went from north of San Patong across to Lamphun?

The new canal road extension highway bypasses Hang Dong and San Patong and intersects the 108 well south of San Patong?

Cross the 108 from the new highway, straight, on from the traffic lights, follow that road which I though joined the 106 on to south of Lamphun and route 11?

Yes, the canal road now bypasses the always dreaded bottleneck in Sapatong making far more enjoyable the trip to Doi Inthanon or up to Mae Win where you can take the scenic back road to Doi Inthanon as well.

Do they hit you for the national park fee when you take that road up?

The new canal road extension highway bypasses Hang Dong and San Patong and intersects the 108 well south of San Patong?

Cross the 108 from the new highway, straight, on from the traffic lights, follow that road which I though joined the 106 on to south of Lamphun and route 11?

Canal road to 108 to 116 joining the 106 to Lamphun?

Do they hit you for the national park fee when you take that road up?

Good question, I like to know that too.

It comes out between check 1 where you buy the tickets and checkpoint 2 where you display them.. If going up Inthanon itself I would assume checkpoint 2 asks for payment..

If you say your going to mea cheam however.. Its a through rd depending on their mood..

TBH as they dont dual price I dont mind paying the Nat park fees..

Also its a pretty poor rd last time I did it..

That turns a 25km journey into a 55km one. Using the 1015 into Lamphun involves a 14km journey to Hang Dong then up, so about 40km in total, along terrible roads. These are not viable routes.

I made my thoughts in a thread about the new road a few months back. Dual the railway track road all the way to Lamphun, dual the railway tracks as well and run local train services every 15 mins, and build bridges over the junctions on the number 11. The new road isn't needed, no. Upgrading what is there would be better.

• Like 1

That turns a 25km journey into a 55km one. Using the 1015 into Lamphun involves a 14km journey to Hang Dong then up, so about 40km in total, along terrible roads. These are not viable routes.

I made my thoughts in a thread about the new road a few months back. Dual the railway track road all the way to Lamphun, dual the railway tracks as well and run local train services every 15 mins, and build bridges over the junctions on the number 11. The new road isn't needed, no. Upgrading what is there would be better.

Very convenient for us golfers living Hang Dong side of Chiangmai to get to Inthanon & Gold Canyon now. (-:

I agree with you,the new highway is not necessary.Even widening the 11 with flyovers would make more sense.

I fear there there are many grubby fingers in this particular pie. Interesting though how quick the relevant authorities were in reviewing the original routes through BWT when the community started making themselves heard.

For those interested there is a meeting at the Pa Daed "community centre" on Sunday 1st February at 1pm for all those affected by the proposed route to discuss with those in charge of construction and the highways department.

The Pa Daed centre is on the left going to Chiangmai opposite the new dam on the Ping along the riverside road. Directly opposite a row of new shophouses. Big building with a large grass sports area in front.