Driving to BKK

Somtamnication

I know the route, pretty much. Not terribly difficult. Will sleep in either Chumpon or Hua Hin.

Anyone have any idea on gas cost for the car from here to BKK? Toyota Vios. I know it varies by size and how many passengers. I just need to know an approximate cost.

Or 7900b on Air Asia for wife, son and myself, return.

I'd fly. Gas will be roughly the same if you fill up 3 times.

Also there are lunatics on those roads with overloaded trucks.

I wouldn't subject a child to it again after passing some horror crashes.

On the other hand, air Asia hasn't instilled much confidence in me lately.

• Like 1

Is that amount, Baht7,900 for the THREE of you RETURN? and how old is your son (adult or child fare?)

If that is the "All Up...AND BACK FARE" There is NO WAY I'd want to drive!

Edited by Torrens54

We drove our VIOS there and back a few years ago. Filled up when leaving BKK, and coasted into Ranong on fumes at 3 AM... struggling to find a service station that was open. Made it easily the rest of the way on that tank.. about 3/4 of it. You will make it each way easily on two tanks of gas.

But like most of the posters above- I haven't done it since and I'll never do it again. We fly and rent a car at the Phuket airport. The VIOS is just a little bit too small for a long and fast road trip. My feet and hands were "buzzing" after a day on the road.

I've driven it several times and now have a Vios too. For 7900B r/t for three is a great price. Less wear and tear and that's you're best bet.. I usually stop half way south of Hua Hin to break the trip up in both directions. Cost will be about the same as the air fare. You just see more driving, Once you get off the Island fewer idiots on the road. except in a few locations on the way.

• Like 1

1,800 km, Vios would run 1:14? on a trip like that, 130 liters, gas 26 Baht so gas 3,380 Baht, overnight 2x1,000 = 5,380 Baht door to door in gas + accommodation.

Plane 7,900 Baht plus 2,200 (depending on location) taxi costs both ways in both places, so flying about 10k door to door.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

I'd drive, because I a] like driving my car, b] like the sights on the way, c] stay over night at Prachuap, which is a lovely little town, d] like to be mobile on arrival,and last e] hate the hassle at the airports. I drive an Avanza, which is even smaller than a Vios, but it feels roomier.

I'd drive, because I a] like driving my car, b] like the sights on the way, c] stay over night at Prachuap, which is a lovely little town, d] like to be mobile on arrival,and last e] hate the hassle at the airports. I drive an Avanza, which is even smaller than a Vios, but it feels roomier.

Exactly the same reasons I drive

1,800 km, Vios would run 1:14? on a trip like that, 130 liters, gas 26 Baht so gas 3,380 Baht, overnight 2x1,000 = 5,380 Baht door to door in gas + accommodation.

Plane 7,900 Baht plus 2,200 (depending on location) taxi costs both ways in both places, so flying about 10k door to door.

That's another reason. Generally it's cheaper. Especially when the family starts inviting friends . I am limited to taking 5 when driving.

We’re a family of 4. We have done the trip 6 times, 3 driving (Isuzu D-Max SE), and 3 flying. Driving is fun for the adventure, staying and eating in different places. Flying more expensive (family of 4), but saves a few days.

Fly.

Edited by Shot

• 3 weeks later...

i do it every year from Phuket to Laos /Cambodia and back!! Average about 8,000 kms /trip

My civic averages 13 kms/lt

Never any trouble, fine roads all the way till i hit north of Mae sot to Mae Hong son and on to Chiang khong ( wont talk about roads in laos or Cambodia LOL )

but its fantastic!!!

cost might be the same as flying even for two of us but i see 10x more an enjoy the going not just arriving

Edited by phuketrichard
  • Like 1

Were planning driving from Phuket to Issan and back later this year wife and two of the kids. Will be making the journey part of the holiday. Quite happy to spend 3 days getting there and three days back stopping each night - looking forward to that bit. Its the 2 weeks in Issan that I'm more worried about enduring.

I think it should be pretty straight forward with a pickup, expect 6 or 7 hours of driving each day, proper break for lunch and no night driving.

The fun part is deciding upon and booking where to stop.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Is that amount, Baht7,900 for the THREE of you RETURN? and how old is your son (adult or child fare?)

If that is the "All Up...AND BACK FARE" There is NO WAY I'd want to drive!

Airasia charges the same for babies, kids and adults. No discount, even if parent holds baby. Don't even know why they ask if a passenger is a child?