Tottenham Thread

chonabot

Yeah stoney weve had more than our fair share of horror stories in our goal, Never forget going to goodison 2 watch spurs play and asking a couple of spurs fans b4 the game how the team was doin? they said Keller was totally shot, I was like, fuc off, no way, he comes x ross on the tv and media as doin ok, but they insisted and they were totally right, ​ it/he was terrible, football wise, Ive never really expirenced anytning like it b4 or since. there was almost a tangible ripple of pessimistic anticipation every time he got the ball, truly shocking. But although the stats suggest freda dont suit AVB's style I wouldnt rule him out being no 1 for this coming season., Originally I wasn't a fan, but ive got to say he has brought a v v steady hand to the defence, something we've lacked, probably since Clemence.

Daily Telegraph.

Andre Villas-Boas eager to determine Luka Modric's state of mind about playing for Tottenham again

Andre Villas-Boas will hold talks with Luka Modric to establish his state of mind before deciding when he can bring him back into the Tottenham Hotspur first-team squad.

Spurs returned to London on Wednesday morning after a hugely successful three-match tour of the United States – but it was a tour that Modric missed after going Awol as he attempts to force through a move to Real Madrid.

Spurs have heavily fined the 26-year-old midfielder, who has subsequently returned to training – where he is doing double sessions on his own in London to try to catch up on his fitness – and insist that they will only sell him if their £40 million valuation is met.

So far the best offer from Real is just over £30 million, which has been rejected, and the head coach confirmed that the Croatian could only leave if a bid “reaches the standard we require”.

Although Real are threatening to walk away from the deal, Spurs expect them to make another improved offer.

Villas-Boas conceded that, with just two more friendly matches before the Premier League season, it is possible Modric will not be fit. The biggest factor, however, will be his mental state.

“It’s difficult,” Villas-Boas said. “Obviously he has to pick up on his fitness but we’re talking about a player with tremendous talent. In a way, the most important thing is to analyse his situation as it stands at the moment.

"See how the player feels mentally to return and the fact that the club has not received any offers that are rated highly for the talent that he is.

“So I have to speak to the player and I think he will understand because he’s a good professional and one who has served Tottenham to the highest level. Hopefully we will get him back but if not we will continue to monitor his situation and improve on his fitness on an individual basis.”

Villas-Boas said that Modric, who has four years left on his contract, will be reminded of “his responsibilities towards Tottenham” with the club having informed the player he can leave if the right offer is made. Spurs do not anticipate a problem with Modric should he, therefore, have to stay.

“He’s a professional for Tottenham and, in an ideal circumstance, he should be with the team,” Villas-Boas said. “On a situation of refusal you have to also remind the player of his responsibilities towards Tottenham.

"But the player will, for sure, understand that it’s a difficult situation for him and it’s a difficult situation for us. But the level of the offers we have been having at the moment don’t reach the standard we require.”

Paris St-Germain have indicated that they are willing to meet the asking price, but Modric does not want to join the French club, while Chelsea would still like to sign him although Spurs will not sell to another Premier League club.

Villas-Boas confirmed that Scott Parker will undergo an operation on Aug 8 to repair his damaged Achilles tendon and that the midfielder will be miss the start of the season — and will not feature in England’s opening World Cup qualifiers — as he will take “four maybe six weeks” to fitness.

There is better news for Rafael van der Vaart, who was injured in the opening match of Spurs’ tour, against LA Galaxy, but who is set to return for the friendly against Valencia next week.

Villas-Boas confirmed that Spurs were now “looking at different options” after a deal to sign Emmanuel Adebayor from Manchester City for around £5 million stalled over the striker’s wage demands.

“Obviously there was an interest in Ade but we have a need first for Jermain [Defoe] to get back from his personal tragedy [the death of his cousin] for the team to have further options in the striker position.

Villas-Boas also paid tribute to Gareth Bale who has had an eventful tour — with the row over his non-participation in the Team GB Olympic team and the injury scare after a poor challenge on him by Liverpool’s Charlie Adam.

Bale also scored two goals and produced some impressive performances. “He’s an unbelievable talent,” Villas-Boas said. “As a manager you are trying to make sure you get the most of him out of him he’s a tremendous physical athlete, of course, but one with fantastic football talent.”

The Portuguese coach said he remained confident that Spurs could mount a league title challenge this season and also be in contention to win other trophies once he has assembled the squad he wants — which will include further loans and sales as well as new signings to add to Gylfi Sigurdsson and Jan Vertonghen.

“We are still building a team,” he said. “The team can improve and we are looking to improve it. This is obviously not the final product and as we go through August we have to get the right perspective as to where we can improve and where we will arrive. The natural progression for our team will be to fight for titles and this is what we want this year.

"Obviously the Premier League is the most difficult one. It’s not impossible and it’s a challenge we accepted in the beginning [when he was appointed to succeed Harry Redknapp] so we will have to see how we can take on that responsibility.”

We play our first Premiership match in ten days time. Surely we are signing some strikers before then?

Unbelievable silence everywhere....!

Yep, 10 days 4 madrid to deal on Modric. But leaving it late seems to be one of levy's bargaining tools, aka last year, And I'm not saying that it was the cause,just that it COULD BE ARGUED, that the lateness of last close seasons signings cost us the title and or the champions league spot.

We play our first Premiership match in ten days time. Surely we are signing some strikers before then?

Yep, 10 days 4 madrid to deal on Modric. But leaving it late seems to be one of levy's bargaining tools, aka last year, And I'm not saying that it was the cause,just that it COULD BE ARGUED, that the lateness of last close seasons signings cost us the title and or the champions league spot.

Can't see how leaving it late will help us as everyone knows we are desperate to sign a striker. I think it will have an adverse effect in us retaining a bitter player that doesn't want to play for us and only Defoe upfront which is a disastrous end result.

Can't see how leaving it late will help us as everyone knows we are desperate to sign a striker. I think it will have an adverse effect in us retaining a bitter player that doesn't want to play for us and only Defoe upfront which is a disastrous end result.

I'm bemused by it all.....we need two strikers really.....regardless of the Modric situation we need to bring in at least one NOW.

I still think you guys should buy Sturridge.

If I was Levy I would sell Modric to United for Welbeck and circa 25 mill. I think Welbeck could be tempted, and then Levy saves face by NOT budging from his '40 mill or no deal' stance.

You could buy Sturridge and one of the 2 keepers you have been after, for the 25 mill.

You would have a very good team then.

I still think you guys should buy Sturridge.

If I was Levy I would sell Modric to United for Welbeck and circa 25 mill. I think Welbeck could be tempted, and then Levy saves face by NOT budging from his '40 mill or no deal' stance.

You could buy Sturridge and one of the 2 keepers you have been after, for the 25 mill.

You would have a very good team then.

Chelsea won't sell to us....and I doubt Welbeck would jump ship from Old Trafford. Not a bad idea otherwise...

The only things that benefits by us leaving transfers til late is our bottom line and I think were all aware of how Levy is bottom line conscious.

The style we've been playing, with vdv and now presumably siggy,droppin into midfield suggests we need a hard working preferably big certainly a strong mobile striker with pace that can hold, cover the line and drop off, Sounds just like adeboy!!!! Anyone know where he's been training, presume he's bac at man city, I still wouldn't rule a deal out for him. As for not lettin modric go, we are, as per norm with levy its ju down to the price, I reckon he will go 4 around 35 mil and a chain of deals will then start.Lets just hope we get the squad sorted b4 the season starts and give vb a fair crack at a decent start, as opposed to our seemingly traditional piss poor one.

I just can't believe that Levy will start the season without at least three strikers....it will be madness if we do.

Might as well bring in Craig Levein as boss....

We could adopt the chavs and their approach playing a lone striker infront of a 1-9-1 formation. And consequently bore everyone to death

Talking about vile things had to laugh seeing a picture og Rerry superinposed behind Chris Hoy being presented with his recent gold.

Do you think Terry has the brain power to actually feel embarrassed at the manner has ridiculed the manner in which he hijacked their CL celebrations?

If we don't sign anybody, i suppose we'll start upfront with defoe and vdv? or siggy

Even Levy can't be that stupid to think that we can do without a top class striker for the beginning of the season !!!

This is all going to go incredibly well for us or it'll be a bloody disaster. Modric is the root of the problem but Adebayor really hasn't helped. All he's inadvertantly done is weaken our Modric stance.

I agree with you Alf about a striker but i can't for the life of me think who we'll get. Theres no one available in our price range.

If we don't sign anybody, i suppose we'll start upfront with defoe and vdv? or siggy

Even Levy can't be that stupid to think that we can do without a top class striker for the beginning of the season !!!

This is all going to go incredibly well for us or it'll be a bloody disaster. Modric is the root of the problem but Adebayor really hasn't helped. All he's inadvertantly done is weaken our Modric stance.

I agree with you Alf about a striker but i can't for the life of me think who we'll get. Theres no one available in our price range.

Surely Levy must realize that we are so desperate for a striker that for once he must forget about being a tight wad and just pay the money that clubs are asking !

Spurs are asking for trouble if they keep Modric. He doesn't want to play for you, so by default he will not be 100%. Added on to that if you sold him you would have money to by a class striker. Seems a simple solution to me.

Spurs are asking for trouble if they keep Modric. He doesn't want to play for you, so by default he will not be 100%. Added on to that if you sold him you would have money to by a class striker. Seems a simple solution to me.

I don't see how you can say what Spurs should do without knowing how much RM have offered.

So if RM are offering 20m we should accept that measly sum and what decent forward would we get with that ?