Several MONTHs delay for Honda HR-V EL deliveries?

eppic

was aking for a test drive at the Pattaya Honda dealer/Jomtien branch - just the usual "no have test car", I asked when you will get one? "dont know", I just turned around and left, in any "normal" country they wouldnt be able to sell any car,,,,,,,

a white EL model was just picked up by an older farang guy, while I was there

Is it really the norm for there to be no test car available at dealers' showrooms in Thailand? Maybe they were just being pig-headed or plain lazy & not willing to deal with the foreigner, as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread. As you say, in more customer-orientated societies, it's be "no test drive, no sale".

Outside "our" dealer - quite a small showroon really - are HR-V EL, Civic, City, Jazz & Mobilio, all marked as Test Drive vehicles. The dealer insisted we tested the HR-V before we ordered, although that'd obviously have been a "must" for me anyway if they hadn't suggested it first.

Is it really the norm for there to be no test car available at dealers' showrooms in Thailand?

Yes, it's the norm. They sell cars regardless... If you refuse to deal because there's no test-drive, the assumption will be you're just a tire-kicker anyway ;)

Edited by IMHO
  • Like 1

We ordered an HR-V EL model in metallic silver - one of the colours for which they don't charge extra - 2 weeks ago. At the time we said we wanted delivery after a planned trip to UK in May. The salesgirl told us it might be a good idea to accept delivery before our trip. She said " ... we'll have used our quota and maybe cannot get more for a long time ... ". Perhaps she was alluding to this supply problem that's been mentioned.

Maybe colour ordered affects the delays.

If we don't get delivery on their suggested date, we could just walk away - deposit was 3000 baht - but, to be honest, a delay of a month or more would suit us & fit into our original plans. Change of make is possible - Mazda? - but the nearest Mazda dealer is 80km away as opposed to 25km for the Honda dealer - that's a big influence, IMO.

See what happens in late March.

A bit earlier than we really wanted but our dealer called yesterday to say that our new HR-V EL is ready for collection and we just need to sort-out the paperwork, which we'll do next week.

Maybe this particular car was already in stock with the dealer so only needed preparation once ordered by a customer and then moved to the local shop.

Don't know where you are, eppic, but we're using a dealer near home in a smallish town in Khon Kaen province. Maybe sales here have been slower and the dealer - with many branches in the area - hadn't sold them as quickly as anticipated. Must admit, I haven't seen many on the roads here and of those I've seen, most have been BKK registration.

If I remember, when we sign the papers I'll ask the dealer if there are problems with new orders now.

Thanks for the update. I am in Bangkok, and as you have speculated, perhaps that is the issue since I now know a number of people who ordered well after me but received vehicles before me, and they seem to be outside BKK (I don't think it's a color issue).

After seeing your post, I had my translator check with the salesman, and of course there is still no new update -- one month after the original promised delivery date, there is absolutely no estimate of arrival time.

At this stage I have essentially decided to cancel the order. I'll also be taking a long holiday in a month or so, and I don't want the car arriving while I am gone (or just before, for that matter). I don't fancy parking my brand new vehicle in the condo garage for nearly two months immediately after delivery. So, I have been looking at alternatives with my must-have features (6 airbags, leather seats, reasonable city size) and am thinking about nearly-new vehicles like the MY2013 Ford Focus Titanium+, which can be had for about 60% of the price of the HRV-EL thanks to very rapid depreciation of Fords. Doesn't have everything I want, but would suit my needs for running around the city a few times a month when BTS is not convenient. Currently have an Accord rental, which is nice to drive but a pain to maneuver and park here in central BKK.

EDIT:

P.S. As an aside, as I recently have spoken to a couple of dealers about getting a nearly-new car, I have actually found the used car dealers to be far more competent than the new car dealers. They spoke much better English, were more able to answer questions about the vehicles, and seemed a more helpful overall. Not sure what that says about the new car salesman in Bangkok, but they clearly have minimal motivation to sell -- they seem to be just order takers (shockingly ignorant of their product), so I would assume they are very poorly paid, or at least they should be.

Edited by eppic

was aking for a test drive at the Pattaya Honda dealer/Jomtien branch - just the usual "no have test car", I asked when you will get one? "dont know", I just turned around and left, in any "normal" country they wouldnt be able to sell any car,,,,,,,

a white EL model was just picked up by an older farang guy, while I was there

Is it really the norm for there to be no test car available at dealers' showrooms in Thailand? Maybe they were just being pig-headed or plain lazy & not willing to deal with the foreigner, as has been suggested elsewhere in this thread. As you say, in more customer-orientated societies, it's be "no test drive, no sale".

Outside "our" dealer - quite a small showroon really - are HR-V EL, Civic, City, Jazz & Mobilio, all marked as Test Drive vehicles. The dealer insisted we tested the HR-V before we ordered, although that'd obviously have been a "must" for me anyway if they hadn't suggested it first.

When I asked to test drive the HR-V at my nearest dealer, Honda Pathumwan (Siam Square), I was told I could put my name on a waiting list and come back in a few weeks. Nice. So I went to the motor show and managed to get a rather pathetic circle around the carpark, but at least better than nothing. And it didn't stop thousands of HR-V bookings during the motor show, I am certain the vast majority never test drove the vehicles they ordered...Thais buy for reasons other than performance anyway (which generic white Honda or Toyota, stripped of most safety features, would you like to buy, sir?)

• Like 1

@Robert24, the CRV was initially on my short list, but I rented on for a trial and found it to be too boat-like in handling and generally too bulky for regular driving/parking in Bangkok. It was nice on the highway though. If I lived outside the city, I might have considered it along with the CX-5. The HR-V is really an ideal size for the city IMO...But frankly, after getting lied to and royally screwed around by my Honda dealer, my preference is definitely to look for a different brand in the likely event I am forced to cancel the HR-V delivery. Who knows, the CX-3 may be launched it Thailand soon. Thanks for the suggestion though.

My advice get the focus and not look back. Top model for under 600k.

First, why would someone shopping for an SUV want a Focus?

Second, the top model Focus is 1,070,000 Baht.

Third, have you ever read any of the Ford related threads here?

biggrin.png

Edited by IMHO

@IMHO, to be fair to Golden Farang, I did mention the Focus (nearly new, low mileage 2013 can be had for about 600k) and my logic in an earlier post...I think you must have missed it. Yes, I also understand the negatives of a Ford, but at a 45% discount it may be worth considering:

.....So, I have been looking at alternatives with my must-have features (6 airbags, leather seats, reasonable city size) and am thinking about nearly-new vehicles like the MY2013 Ford Focus Titanium+, which can be had for about 60% of the price of the HRV-EL thanks to very rapid depreciation of Fords. Doesn't have everything I want, but would suit my needs for running around the city a few times a month when BTS is not convenient. Currently have an Accord rental, which is nice to drive but a pain to maneuver and park here in central BKK.

• Like 1

alt=biggrin.png>

you did not read this? whistling.gif

At this stage I have essentially decided to cancel the order. I'll also be taking a long holiday in a month or so, and I don't want the car arriving while I am gone (or just before, for that matter). I don't fancy parking my brand new vehicle in the condo garage for nearly two months immediately after delivery. So, I have been looking at alternatives with my must-have features (6 airbags, leather seats, reasonable city size) and am thinking about nearly-new vehicles like the MY2013 Ford Focus Titanium+, which can be had for about 60% of the price of the HRV-EL thanks to very rapid depreciation of Fords. Doesn't have everything I want, but would suit my needs for running around the city a few times a month when BTS is not convenient. Currently have an Accord rental, which is nice to drive but a pain to maneuver and park here in central BKK.

2nd hand 13-14 model focus can get for under 600k.

"have you ever read any of the Ford related threads here?" Yes. laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

Edited by golden farang
  • Like 1

alt=biggrin.png>

you did not read this? whistling.gif

2nd hand 13-14 model focus can get for under 600k.

"have you ever read any of the Ford related threads here?" Yes. laugh.pngcoffee1.gif

Hehehe, I only read the 1-2 most recent posts - looks like that backfired this time :P

• Like 1

Complain to Thai friends that you can't get a test drive, and how you've crossed that car off your short list... most of them will think you're nuts.

In Australia you can walk in to just about any dealer and get a test drive same day.

Many Thais can't comprehend why you would want to test drive a car, just as most Australians would never buy a car without one.

Last car we shopped for, Toyota and Honda said no test drive possible, Ford happy to make an appointment for a one hour test later in the week.

I didn't have a preference at that stage but no Honda or Toyota test drive, and with my wife liking the Ford, then easy sale for Ford.