Gen. Prayut defends controversial new cyber laws in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Gen. Prayut defends controversial new cyber laws in Thailand

Thailand’s prime minister has defended plans to introduce tough new cyber laws in Thailand.

The new laws will give authorities the right to access emails, telephone records, computer data and even postal mail without court approval.

Critics have expressed concerns that the new laws would give the government unprecedented access to personal and private information, with little or no judicial oversight.

The draft of the new laws, which form part of the National Cyber Security Bill, has alarmed Internet rights groups in Thailand.

Somewhat contradicted by this article:

"Thai legislators are due to amend the proposed cyber security bill, having said they will add a clause which requires authorities to obtain court approval before accessing Internet users’ personal information. Surangkana Wayuparb, who is chief executive of the Electronic Transactions Development Agency (ETDA), said on the weekend that the draft legislation was “rushed” and would grant the government excessive power."

http://tech.thaivisa.com/thai-cyber-bill-to-be-watered-down/3368/

Sounds like public can open their mouth only in front of dentists!

So close the following accounts if you like to stay in Thailand.

ThaiVisa

Facebook

Line

Whatsapp

Ex polititians and activists better open their mouth only in front of dentists.

Nobody will pay any notice to TVF members that are for, or against this government.

Foreigners do not vote, their believes are of no interest to the Government.

So nobody will throw you out of this country, rest assured, except if you are on overstay............

ThaiVisa

Facebook

Line

Whatsapp

Nobody will pay any notice to TVF members that are for, or against this government.

So nobody will throw you out of this country, rest assured, except if you are on overstay............

Correct. But if someone in the government actually could read colloquial English,

and read some of the comments on this board, by the new laws you could face

punishment. And I guess that is the irritating part. So far, living under the d*******p

has been pretty transparent , but when laws like this are passed, then you start

to truly get the feeling of living in a third world country.

And yes America eavesdrops as well. So if you are exchanging ideas about

building nuclear bombs, they will in fact be knocking on your door. If you are

laughing about some idiotic thing Obama did, they will not be knocking at

your door. See the difference ??

in the beginning i was really enthusiastic about the actions by the General and thought it will be for the good of the people. but now i see more and more similarities with a very dark chapter of my home country where the beginning was quiet the same.

It IS gonna be a very dark chapter of my home country where the beginning was quiet the same. Our dear general and PM will pull this through, because he said so..... thumbsup.gif

in the beginning i was really enthusiastic about the actions by the General and thought it will be for the good of the people. but now i see more and more similarities with a very dark chapter of my home country where the beginning was quiet the same.

Funny how history repeats itself isn't it. As though this wasn't all largely predictable.

Sacrificing democracy to save it has to be one of the best heists ever. And to think there are foreigners on Herr naive enough to be supporting this dangerous idiocy.

When the first foreigner gets pinged for criticising this govt, the catcalls will be huge. Under their rules, TV itself probably wouldn't survive without even more rabid moderation.

• Like 1

ThaiVisa

Facebook

Line

Whatsapp

are you saying costas that foreigners have freedom of speach when thai's dont just because they cant vote

Are you north Korean ?

• Like 1

ThaiVisa

Facebook

Line

Whatsapp

The British PM stated that after the elections he will start to get into law more stringent internet surveillance with warrants to be handled by the 'Home Secretary'. In Thailand that would be the Minister of Interior.

If Thailand would include the same in it's law would that make you happier as it's the same as the Brits talk about?

Well anyone still using the Net and not taking precautions against government snoopers is pretty naive.

As far as I remember I have never actually taken precautions apart from anti-virus and anti-spam stuff. Also I doubt the government is really interested in me or what I write.

Having said that I see no reason why the government should be allowed to spy on me without good reason and a warrant.

Or use Thor browser

There's a browser named after a Norse god? Cool.

But if you meant TOR (The Onion Router), the NSA has access to all of it, not that they'd necessarily share with the Thais.

Others are probably right that they're not paying attention to the whinging farangs on TV biggrin.png but as elsewhere (US, UK) the effect is to put a chill on free speech, make people think twice before they write or say anything.

I thought "Meung Thai" meant "land of the free" to Thais but I guess that was just a TAT slogan I took for real.