Commuting in Bkk on a big bike.. A pain in the ...?

eeeya

My CBR 250R is perfect for Bkk. The rearview mirrors fold up for easy access between cars and it is still light enough to maneuver. turning radius is a bit less than my old Sonic, but other than that, no other difference.

In addition, I have the extra power when I need it. If I ever got rid of it I would replace with CBR 300R.

• Like 2

The majority of "big bike owners (not all) have a scooter for knocking around town and there is good reason for that to be the norm.

I cannot be fussed with kitting up just for a 3km battle through traffic but that's me.

Exactly.. and to take the scooter to the market to get fresh vegetables and fruits and not having to take a backpack. Parking the bike where you want, not worrying about damage ect. My scooter is for short shopping trips.. big shopping trips the car and anything else the big bike.

• Like 2

Everything clear again i guess biggrin.png

Easy, difficult, scooter better, big bike better, buy a PCX, buy no PCX, and so on and on smile.png

Seems everyone has to decide for his own. At least if you are not such a crack like ll2 who rides the biggest bikes like an artist in the circus and jumps over all traffic jams with dozens shopping bags hanging from the mirrors laugh.png

There is not "the commuting", everyone has different needs. Eg. some go shopping with car, some with bike....

Try concentrating on the topic and then try to add something useful instead of criticizing other posters. Just give it a try.

I can see you criticizing me, but where am i criticizing others in the post you quoted? Different people, different needs, different likes, thats life man.

To all the others: Yes, a lot of "tough real riders" have problems to be seen riding a scooter. And some like the comfort and safety of a car when not touring with their big bikes. For me its all fun with 2 wheels, let it be a bicycle, scooter, small bike, big bike... so i am free to chose whatever i want. Or in other words you can say i hate cars, but thats a different story.

My commuter needs are quite extensive:

The little guy are sent to kindergarten each morning and I has strictly prohibited my wife taking the scoopy for that since we have to cross the dreaded Sukhumvit road, so pick-up truck where he has his own kid seat and sits safely.

When he is dropped off at the school, she/we/me drive the "tank" home and park it and take the pcx150 for breakfast and perhaps minor shopping. My wife refuse going on the versys because of our son. She used to go with me on the HD and we sometimes did over 600km in one dag on 4 days touring trips.

The scoopy has a kids seat and a permanent top box fitted (sorry H1xxxxx) so we often use it all 3 of us for going on small downtown rides and my son loves it, he is off-course wearing a helmet (with visor). The bloody tank is almost impossible to park downtown but we use it perhaps twice a week for major shopping and going places far away sometimes.

I am not a hard core biker anymore due to family commitments, it's simply not possible but I love the rides on the shinny new versys even more since I only go 2-4 times a week.

• Like 1

Easy, difficult, scooter better, big bike better, buy a PCX, buy no PCX, and so on and on smile.png

Seems everyone has to decide for his own. At least if you are not such a crack like ll2 who rides the biggest bikes like an artist in the circus and jumps over all traffic jams with dozens shopping bags hanging from the mirrors laugh.png

There is not "the commuting", everyone has different needs. Eg. some go shopping with car, some with bike....

some live their lives a different than the crowd wantan.

motorcycles are my life and i can do a lot of things with them.

not bc i am a crack or a stunt guy!

do you want me to drive a car to shops and stuck in nonsense traffic for an hour for a 10 minute motorcycle ride?

or do you want me to ride a scooter which makes me feel unsafe and bored?

i have a honda wave 125 x though and recently modified it so sometime use it to go 7 but never take it more than 4 km away from home. bc can commute or go around faster and safer on my cbr650f.

i definitely do not feel safe on a scooter. say it weak brakes, suspension, cheap tires, no power. it is low and traditionally like for all scooters - actually a design fault, front end feels so light and numb. moreover, you look crazy if you wear proper gear like a full face helmet, jacket, boots etc too, especially as a farang so i feel double unsafe with a half face helmet and shoes on them.

for the tight spots between cars and turning radius, if you check where you are going before, you dont get caught in a parallel position and believe me, i never fold my mirrors although commute at hell traffic all those years and managed to pass from many tight spots between cars. yeah sometime it is impossible especially if there is a construction and if they reduced the lanes so two buses on two lanes close all the road but then even scooters wait with me most of the time or you wait a minute more than a scooter rarely but you compensate it fast when the traffic opens a bit with safety, comfort and piece of mind.

it is perfectly doable to ride a big bike in Bangkok traffic still you need a lot of experience on defensive city rides and you need to feel comfy and confident on your bike. if no experience on hell commutes in Asian cities like Bangkok, Mumbai, Delhi, Phnom Penh, Kathmandu, Tehran etc, just do not push yourself much. a 300 series honda is a good bike for getting experience, they are forgiving bikes and they enhance your riding experience more than lets say a liter bike, you learn faster with them.

Yep, no offence bro' rolleyes.gif

And i can tell you from experience, its perfectly doable to ride a scooter in Bangkok and feel safe on it biggrin.png

> moreover, you look crazy if you wear proper gear like

> a full face helmet, jacket, boots etc too, especially as a farang so i feel double unsafe with

> a half face helmet and shoes on them.

I wear a fullface helmet and mostly an armoured jacket (with back protector) on the scooter. Maybe i am "looking crazy" for you doing so, but i am a serious scooter rider and want to protect myself in crazy Bangkok traffic. If you need a big bike to protect you without losing face the problem is in your head imo.

Edited by wantan
  • Like 1

some live their lives a different than the crowd wantan.

motorcycles are my life and i can do a lot of things with them.

not bc i am a crack or a stunt guy!

do you want me to drive a car to shops and stuck in nonsense traffic for an hour for a 10 minute motorcycle ride?

or do you want me to ride a scooter which makes me feel unsafe and bored?

i have a honda wave 125 x though and recently modified it so sometime use it to go 7 but never take it more than 4 km away from home. bc can commute or go around faster and safer on my cbr650f.

i definitely do not feel safe on a scooter. say it weak brakes, suspension, cheap tires, no power. it is low and traditionally like for all scooters - actually a design fault, front end feels so light and numb. moreover, you look crazy if you wear proper gear like a full face helmet, jacket, boots etc too, especially as a farang so i feel double unsafe with a half face helmet and shoes on them.

for the tight spots between cars and turning radius, if you check where you are going before, you dont get caught in a parallel position and believe me, i never fold my mirrors although commute at hell traffic all those years and managed to pass from many tight spots between cars. yeah sometime it is impossible especially if there is a construction and if they reduced the lanes so two buses on two lanes close all the road but then even scooters wait with me most of the time or you wait a minute more than a scooter rarely but you compensate it fast when the traffic opens a bit with safety, comfort and piece of mind.

it is perfectly doable to ride a big bike in Bangkok traffic still you need a lot of experience on defensive city rides and you need to feel comfy and confident on your bike. if no experience on hell commutes in Asian cities like Bangkok, Mumbai, Delhi, Phnom Penh, Kathmandu, Tehran etc, just do not push yourself much. a 300 series honda is a good bike for getting experience, they are forgiving bikes and they enhance your riding experience more than lets say a liter bike, you learn faster with them.

Yep, no offence bro' rolleyes.gif

And i can tell you from experience, its perfectly doable to ride a scooter in Bangkok and feel safe on it biggrin.png

> moreover, you look crazy if you wear proper gear like

> a full face helmet, jacket, boots etc too, especially as a farang so i feel double unsafe with

> a half face helmet and shoes on them.

I wear a fullface helmet and mostly an armoured jacket (with back protector) on the scooter. Maybe i am "looking crazy" for you doing so, but i am a serious scooter rider and want to protect myself in crazy Bangkok traffic. If you need a big bike to protect you without losing face the problem is in your head imo.

wantan, i dont say you cannot do it. you can and i can do it too but just do not like.

i dont feel serious or safe on any scooter but that is just me. you are a serious scooter rider wearing jacket and helmet, good for you man.

i just psychologically dont like to wear more than half helmet, proper shoes and a basic glove on my honda wave. I look and feel crazy and I dont like to lose face on my honda wave:)

• Like 1

For a dozen years I rode a Virago around Bkk, mostly the outer suburbs. It has a low centre of gravity and thus easy to manoeuvre through traffic. When compared to the Scoopyi that I ride now, it only loses out in very tight situations. When compared to other big bikes, it won out. Nothing amused my tiny little mind more than to wend my way through to the front of the traffic and wait for the green light, giving the throttle a twist to unleash a throaty roar every now and then. And when the lights turn. green, amble off like you're on a Sunday ride.

Would love another Virago, if anyone knows one for sale.

Guess that's where it sits for me, eeeya. Low centre of gravity and easy to handle.

What my mates think of me riding... a fat girl OR scooter?

They are maybe jealous?

...fat girl ON a scooter...now you're talkin'.

Wantan: I have never been able to hang more that 6 shopping bags from my mirrors, so bought a top box.

My current goal is to become 50% as assume awsome as 11.

By June 15, man.

Edited by papa al

I married into a motorbike family, I've never really been interested until up to now since hanging around the workshop with bikes pulled to bits and engines getting rebuilt on workbenches (all big bikes I might add).

Its kind of ironic that the most often used bike is the worn out piece of ..... Honda scooter.

Well, for now the 300 is serving its purpose as a commuter \ practice bike. Its too early to go on a spending spree with only a mouth odd under my belt. Ha! But if there was a genie in a bottle I'd wish for the scooter for town and the weekend play machine.

I went for a blat 100km out of Bkk today to stretch the legs.. The 300 makes a good job of it. I don't regret my choice at all.

• Like 1

A lot depends on the kind of commuting and more importantly, which roads.

My commuting is from Suk / Asoke junction down to Asoke / Petchaburi junction. Completely senseless for me to take either my Versys or Ninja - my PCX would have pretty much completed the journey by the time I get my other bikes down to street level from my parking lot.

For dinner, I usually eat around Huay Kwang / Thong Lor / Ekkamai - I take my PCX because traffic is still very heavy around this time and also because my gf can ride the PCX back if I imbibe a bit more whisky than I intended to

I go often to a bar in Ramkamhaeng - on weekends, I will usually take the Versys or Ninja as the roads are clearer and there are some stretches where I can open up. On weekdays, the PCX, again for obvious reasons.

My advise to the OP is to sell the 300 (you will get bored of it after a while, especially when going on longer rides), buy a scooter for around Bkk and a 650 for weekend and touring rides.

• Like 1

My commuting is from Suk / Asoke junction down to Asoke / Petchaburi junction. Completely senseless for me to take either my Versys or Ninja - my PCX would have pretty much completed the journey by the time I get my other bikes down to street level from my parking lot.

For dinner, I usually eat around Huay Kwang / Thong Lor / Ekkamai - I take my PCX because traffic is still very heavy around this time and also because my gf can ride the PCX back if I imbibe a bit more whisky than I intended to

I go often to a bar in Ramkamhaeng - on weekends, I will usually take the Versys or Ninja as the roads are clearer and there are some stretches where I can open up. On weekdays, the PCX, again for obvious reasons.

My advise to the OP is to sell the 300 (you will get bored of it after a while, especially when going on longer rides), buy a scooter for around Bkk and a 650 for weekend and touring rides.

Good advices but keep the 300 for now, OP is a newbie and a 300cc is perfect to learn on.

Perhaps 6-12 month down the road get a bigger bike.

I can recommend the new Versys 650 if you are a tall guy, I am just over a week into my new pride and joy and I know already now that I made the right decision buying one.

My PCX 150 is quick up to app. 80 km/h and it's good downtown, smooth and comfortable and fairly big storage under the seat. I owned Waves before but got feed up with all the gear changing downtown, twist and go is the way to go for extensive city riding in my opinion. Almost 40km/l average on gasohol 91 isn't bad either (app. 85% city riding).

One poster also mentioned wear and tear which is a very good valid point, much cheaper to run the scooters and we all know how Thais park bikes, very very close. I once parked my ex HD downtown which cost me 5000 baht of repainting of the panniers, so never again. I don't care much about scratches on my PCX, it's a tool for me but I might treat it with new plastics when it turns 5 years old in +2 years time.

• Like 2

Good advices but keep the 300 for now, OP is a newbie and a 300cc is perfect to learn on.

I can recommend the new Versys 650 if you are a tall guy, I am just over a week into my new pride and joy and I know already now that I made the right decision buying one.

My PCX 150 is quick up to app. 80 km/h and it's good downtown, smooth and comfortable and fairly big storage under the seat. I owned Waves before but got feed up with all the gear changing downtown, twist and go is the way to go for extensive city riding in my opinion. Almost 40km/l average on gasohol 91 isn't bad either (app. 85% city riding).

One poster also mentioned wear and tear which is a very good valid point, much cheaper to run the scooters and we all know how Thais park bikes, very very close. I once parked my ex HD downtown which cost me 5000 baht of repainting of the panniers, so never again. I don't care much about scratches on my PCX, it's a tool for me but I might treat it with new plastics when it turns 5 years old in +2 years time.

+1

Very valid points. I didn't notice at first that the OP is a relatively new rider but then again, he might be an experienced motorist (cars, trucks, buses etc). I initially bought a PCX after not having ridden a bike for about 30 years. A month later, I bought the Versys. I can't tell you how apprehensive I was when I picked up my bike. Crikey, it's high. Crikey, it's heavy. Crikey, I've never ridden anything bigger than a 250 cc before (more than 30 years ago).

Having a powerful bike does not necessarily mean that one has to go fast. This is where motoring experience comes into play. I ride my big bikes no different from my PCX (just faster that's all). I am still constantly watching out for potential hazards, slowing down where necessary, keeping safe distances etc etc. I'm also never first off at the lights even on my Ninja. Just imagine the thrill that some Thai guys on Honda Waves / Click etc get when they feel that they have outdragged my Ninja 1000 from the lights, lol.

Good point also about maintenance, especially tyres. Riding Pirelli's in city traffic hurts (in the pocket). Bht 7,000+ for the rear, 3,000+ for the front and they get squared off in no time, compared to scooter tyres

• Like 2

+1

Very valid points. I didn't notice at first that the OP is a relatively new rider but then again, he might be an experienced motorist (cars, trucks, buses etc). I initially bought a PCX after not having ridden a bike for about 30 years. A month later, I bought the Versys. I can't tell you how apprehensive I was when I picked up my bike. Crikey, it's high. Crikey, it's heavy. Crikey, I've never ridden anything bigger than a 250 cc before (more than 30 years ago).

Having a powerful bike does not necessarily mean that one has to go fast. This is where motoring experience comes into play. I ride my big bikes no different from my PCX (just faster that's all). I am still constantly watching out for potential hazards, slowing down where necessary, keeping safe distances etc etc. I'm also never first off at the lights even on my Ninja. Just imagine the thrill that some Thai guys on Honda Waves / Click etc get when they feel that they have outdragged my Ninja 1000 from the lights, lol.

Good point also about maintenance, especially tyres. Riding Pirelli's in city traffic hurts (in the pocket). Bht 7,000+ for the rear, 3,000+ for the front and they get squared off in no time, compared to scooter tyres

Unless I've got a really REALLY good line of sight in the cross traffic there's no way I'm going to take the jackrabbit start from a red light here. Luckily I haven't seen any of those scooters get taken out by someone running their red light, but knowing my luck it will be me the time I chance it.

+1

^ i can understand your circumstances gweiloman but no difference between a cb300f and pcx. actually cb - cbr300 is much more slim and nimble than pcx for easier commuting.

Moreover, i dont care about the tire or brake pad etc expenses. my cbr650f drinks 6 liters of petrol in bangkok. mycbr150 was drinking 4 liters and a pcxmaybe 3 to 4 liters and a liter is 25 thb now with recent petrol prices.

what i spend for tires, brake pads and maintenance per year are usually less than what i spend sometime to a wild night with booze and girls and some posh bars:) not the same for you gweiloman?:)

moreover come to this world ones and spending money on my bikes is a pleasure and never feels like a burden.

• Like 1

+1

Yes, road train driver back in OZ. 3 trailer jobbies hauling dangerous goods. That was my previous career.

I'm listening to the comments regarding lower quality components in scooters ie poor breaks, wimpy motor etc. So I did a bit of research. Other than pcx which is reasonable money, the other bigger scooters are ridiculous prices.

300gts vespa 350,000 baht. Omg

Keep riding it and you'll get used to it.

It was a pain to ride my new Diavel or of BKK after I picked it up, got a good workout on my left wrist pulling clutch (that was after riding Ninja 300). Now the clutch doesn't bother me (I still avoid BBK through) and Ninja feels feathelite when I ride it.

You'll get used to your 300.

• Like 1

+1

Yes, road train driver back in OZ. 3 trailer jobbies hauling dangerous goods. That was my previous career.

I'm listening to the comments regarding lower quality components in scooters ie poor breaks, wimpy motor etc. So I did a bit of research. Other than pcx which is reasonable money, the other bigger scooters are ridiculous prices.

300gts vespa 350,000 baht. Omg

Forza 300 is 1/2 that.

Here's a question..still in the context of Bkk commuting.

If every motorcycle cost 50,000 regardless of size, brand, capacity. What would be the most popular? Would it stay the same?

Edited by eeeya

Parking is a good point as well. Not only is a big bike harder to park downtown, but it's more expensive when the rider next to me scratches it up with his Fino's passenger pegs. When I park my KSR it's so easy to put it in/out of the smallest spot, and if it has another scratch on it when I get back then I wouldn't even notice.

Zero heat when sat at the lights as well. Small bikes downtown are awesome :)

• Like 1

For a dozen years I rode a Virago around Bkk, mostly the outer suburbs. It has a low centre of gravity and thus easy to manoeuvre through traffic. When compared to the Scoopyi that I ride now, it only loses out in very tight situations. When compared to other big bikes, it won out. Nothing amused my tiny little mind more than to wend my way through to the front of the traffic and wait for the green light, giving the throttle a twist to unleash a throaty roar every now and then. And when the lights turn. green, amble off like you're on a Sunday ride.

Would love another Virago, if anyone knows one for sale.

Guess that's where it sits for me, eeeya. Low centre of gravity and easy to handle.

Bit longer in the nose the virago over the special... Easy to ride though.

If every motorcycle cost 50,000 regardless of size, brand, capacity. What would be the most popular? Would it stay the same?

Any bike 50,000baht? For me a Ducati Panigali 899 biggrin.png

post-80215-0-48964100-1422546252_thumb.j

CBR 250? Never ridden one but looks like a good bike overall for city riding and the occasional ride to Bang Saen / Pattaya.

I wouldn't take a 250 on a long ride though - just not enough power (and I mean this not in terms of top speed but just getting ahead (and staying ahead) of dangerous traffic)