Thai Deputy PM: IMF happy with govt economic plans

webfact

Deputy PM: IMF happy with govt economic plans

BANGKOK, 28 Jan 2015 (NNT) - The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has lauded the government’s economic plans for this year, according to the Deputy Prime Minister for economic affairs.

Speaking after a meeting with the IMF’s representative, Deputy PM M.R. Pridiyathorn Devakula disclosed that economy-boosting schemes this year were found to correspond with most of the IMF's suggestions.

M.R. Pridiyathorn also revealed that the IMF commended the government for its improvement in spending plan and its attempt to review its tax policy, particularly the adjustment of excise tax collection for petrol.

The Deputy Premier also took the opportunity to defend the government’s new tax schemes, including the planned taxation of property owners and the tax raise as well as the bid to push up the country’s export,which was showing a slow progress.

Regarding the tax schemes, the Deputy Premier said the expansion of tax collection to new groups of payers and the tax increase were actually intended to solve the social gap and to offset the government’s spending.

As for the sluggish export, the Deputy Premier confirmed that the Ministry of Commerce had done its best, adding that the country’s major customers such as the US, Japan and China were facing an economic slowdown. The Ministry of Commerce, meanwhile, is looking for new markets in the Middle East, South Asia and Africa.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-01-28 footer_n.gif

Isn't the US economy supposed to be improving? Obama claimed it was growing faster than most other countries right? Yet the Thais say otherwise.

Anyway, the point is sluggish exports are other people's fault....

And why is it the Thais always tell us what other people say without us ever hearing those other people say it themselves?

• Like 2

I have a lot of respect for the IMF. They usually get it right.

November 12th, 2013 - The IMF said the government's agreement to pay about 40% above market prices for rice would make losses "inevitable," and a 410 billion fund to pay for the rice scheme was unlikely to contain all the losses.

Of course the PTP disagreed with that report (turned out to be correct) and IMF joined the list of entities that were demonized by the PTP supporters.

The most popular PM in the last decade is showing some promise. Unless we refer to elections 4 years ago to judge popularity!!!!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yet another comment on behalf of somebody else.

I wonder if the IMF actually said that?

I am not sure this would be quite correct, in a system where the Prayuth -O -Cha transparency is main guide and true transparency is on hold can you believe anything that is said.

• Like 2

Isn't the US economy supposed to be improving? Obama claimed it was growing faster than most other countries right? Yet the Thais say otherwise.

Anyway, the point is sluggish exports are other people's fault....

And why is it the Thais always tell us what other people say without us ever hearing those other people say it themselves?

It seems that in a meeting with Thai officials they look for anything they can pass off as agreement, support etc so even a simple pleasant or courteous word will taken beyond was the speaker means and passed off to suit local propaganda.

For example : saying " I see / understand ( what you have said ) but without adding accept / agree / but etc. is enough and passed off in a positive light.

• Like 1

What has the IMF to say about this, are they even aware of it. Thailand just loves making media releases on behalf of others. The propaganda machine at work again. I wouldn't believe a single word this junta spews out and would rather hear from the actual person or organisation. The Junta has been caught out lying over and over again and have totally lost ALL credibility.

• Like 2

I do not have a dictionary to hand. What exactly does 'lauded' mean?. I know in general, but where does it differ from using the word 'endorse' or suchlike?. These statements drive me crazy!

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/laud?q=lauded

Praised

Thanks chickenlegs. You see my point, the IMF are not simply 'satisfied' or 'pleased to note' that Thailand have taken on it's suggestions but they are praised for doing so.

Pedantic, maybe! but another illustration of beefing up the outside reaction.

It’s probably more like the IMF lauded the government’s economic plans for this year and next to even exist. Recently on January 21st IMF predicted:

1) slower growth in ASEAN’s five largest economies in 2015 by 0.2% due to an expected slowdown in China

2) ASEAN-5 economies will expand lower than 5.4% in 2016 than previously forecast.

3) China will hurt its Asian key trading partners in 2015

Thailand cannot not avoid the IMF predicted downturn, no matter its tax planning and other economic hopes. The anti-government protests and military coup stalled the economic momentum in 2013 started by the Yingluck administration in 2012, and the lack of any meaningful and quick economic stimulus by the coup-led government failed to sustain that momentum going into 2015. By April 2015 we’ll know what the balance of 2015 will bring. And it's not going to be optimistic.

Any relationship with the IMF is nothing short of dangerous for any country's domestic policies on economic issues...what's the matter Thailand, do you owe this criminal NGO money? Why should Thailand be concerned with whether the IMF is happy or not? What are the economic plans for Thailand? Idiots.

Edited by freedom4life