Taxi ripoff caught on video at Suvarnabhumi Airport

Xircal

A Japanese tourist who can also speak Thai recorded the conversation when he noticed the flagfall start at 75 Baht instead of the official 35 Baht rate. The video is subtitled in English.

Edit: the original clip doesn't contain subtitles. Those have been added by Bangkokpost. Here's the link to that:

Mod Edit: link to Bangkok Post removed, per forum rules:

26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

These restrictions are put in place by the above publications, not Thaivisa.com
In rare cases, forum Administrators or the news team may use these sources under special permission.

Edited by craigt3365

Sorry, had to remove the link to the Post. Per their rules. You can see it on the front page of their website. Airport Cab Con is the title.

its funny that after all these time we are still looking for evidences that BKK taxi are scamming all the time. The fact is they cheat when ever they can

Just read an article that indicated thai taxis are ripping off Thai's as well as foreigners so we should not feel so bad

Hmm. Does the fact that others are also being taken make it any less annoying if it happens to me?

No, it doesn't.

• Like 1

The first taxi-related rip-off at BKK airport is the official 50B surcharge.

From there it's downhill all the way.

That can easily be avoided by going to the 4th floor despite the turnstiles you can still go through and hail a cab there. Although I drive, when I go away from Thailand for a while I don't park my car in the airport car park since it's too expensive and in the rare cases nobody can pick me up, especially if the flight arrival time is unusual (such as early morning or late evening, though I tend to try to arrive during the day if possible) then I might have to catch a cab. What I tend to do in those cases is go directly to the 4th floor, or more commonly head one airport link station to Lad Krabang and then go from there by cab.

There's a cover up in operation. Taxi is left-hand drive, no have in Thailand whistling.gif

Lol. Nice try boycie. I've never seen a speedo that works from right to left.

I was thinking that the Taxi driver has a minivan in the daytime and he was driving off the clock in the video, which made everything outside look like it was standing still. biggrin.png

• Like 1

There's a cover up in operation. Taxi is left-hand drive, no have in Thailand whistling.gif

Lol. Nice try boycie. I've never seen a speedo that works from right to left.

I was thinking that the Taxi driver has a minivan in the daytime and he was driving off the clock in the video, which made everything outside look like it was standing still. biggrin.png

Looks like the uploader of that video has made a mirror image of the footage in his video software for some reason. LaPle2J.gif

That video is uploaded elsewhere with everything reversed and the speedometer running clockwise as it should..

why do you think there is nothing wrong with the surcharge?

if it was insufficient there would not be enough taxis at the airport. as it is, it is overflowing withcars licensed to carryt passangers

The first taxi-related rip-off at BKK airport is the official 50B surcharge.

From there it's downhill all the way.

Nothing wrong with the surcharge IMO.

Just read an article that indicated thai taxis are ripping off Thai's as well as foreigners so we should not feel so bad

Yep my wife has caught a taxi twice this week from Swampy bottom level and both times the taxi driver has tried to extort extra money. She advised them both times to get on with the job or she would call the police. They backed down both times but I'm not sure who the loser would be if the police were called. Either way the taxi drivers are trying it on at the moment.