finance on cars? How do I check if buying secondhand?

MROLL320

Very easy to check that everything is okay with the car.

1. Ask to see the blue book. No original book - No deal!

2. Compare the name of owner in the book with the person who is going to sell the car. Ask for ID card. If that matches then....

3. Make a small cash deposit (e.g. 10,000 Baht) to show your interest in buying that car.

4.Go to the transport department together with the seller and register the car on your name.

5.If everything is done go to your bank with the seller and pay the full amount or give him a cash cheque in exchange with the blue book.

But. .... before you do anything of this go to a garage to check the car. Buying a 2nd hand car is always a risk. Be careful if the car is CHEAP, because normally second hand cars in Thailand are quite expensive. Probably it's better to buy a new one.

• Like 1

What happens with a car which has got the 100,000 baht discount buying the car as a first time buyer. Who has to pay this? The original buyer or the new owner?

Reason I am asking, somebody wants to borrow money in a car. If the loan is not paid with in 6 month, I can take the car.

What happens with a car which has got the 100,000 baht discount buying the car as a first time buyer. Who has to pay this? The original buyer or the new owner?

Reason I am asking, somebody wants to borrow money in a car. If the loan is not paid with in 6 month, I can take the car.

Can only be transferred after the rebate has been repaid.

Car is already paid. 100k is cashed. Borrow money with car in gurantere. Old owner or new has to pay when transferring the car, or has to wait for full 5 years since the buy? Thank you.

As I said: can only be transfered once the rebate has been repaid or 5 years have passed.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

I know my cars and car buying, but Thailand is a whole new ball game! Thanks for the help....

I have seen a few deals on Taldrod that seem to be take over the finance on a car? How does that work? Is there addtional cost for changing the contract etc?

Car is already paid. 100k is cashed. Borrow money with car in gurantere. Old owner or new has to pay when transferring the car, or has to wait for full 5 years since the buy? Thank you.

As I said: can only be transfered once the rebate has been repaid or 5 years have passed.

Whats the mechanics on repos on these then ??

I know of multiple cases where the car was repo'ed back to the finance company after the kickback was paid..

Curious how that works and who loses ??

Whats the mechanics on repos on these then ??

I know of multiple cases where the car was repo'ed back to the finance company after the kickback was paid..

Curious how that works and who loses ??

No idea, maybe IMHO knows.

on the subject of used car cost, I agree on older cars they seem to hold value extremely well. But there some value in the nearly new with good discount on new.

But tempted by the 0% on the new Fords at the minute!

From personal experience don't get a fiesta, the focus is a nice drive and handles well

on the subject of used car cost, I agree on older cars they seem to hold value extremely well. But there some value in the nearly new with good discount on new.

But tempted by the 0% on the new Fords at the minute!

From personal experience don't get a fiesta, the focus is a nice drive and handles well

The gearbox is the biggest issue, it's pants mate.

If you go to the thread on the Motor forum called "my 11 month old Wildtrack..." There's a few explanations on the last page.