Thai politics: How long will junta administer bitter pill of martial law?

webfact

I think martial law and military rule are here to stay. The guy has acquired a family heirloom and he isn't going to give it up. lifting martial law would put this a risk.

In a way... but I think they will work over time to ensure there is only one result in elections. I think there will be 'processes and procedures' and a tight running of an election where Thais get to choose any candidate as long as they are yellow.

Hobson's Choice the same with any new constitution referendum and then they will declare to the world 'Look we did it - we have democracy - Thai style'

It will be a pretense wrapped up in a cloak of obfuscation surrounded by BS

Already come up with excuses to disrespect the next majority I see.

I pity the majority. They have never ever been respected when it did not suit the PTP. And people wonder why they are not popular anymore.

Some one asked what majority I was referring to.

The majority i am referring to is the same majority the Northern Farmers Network chairman Kittisak Rattanawaraha was referring too when he said "most farmers in his network would not vote for Pheu Thai". I am also referring to the majority that voted for the 2007 constitution that the PTP denounced. I am also referring to the majority that made it clear in the failed 2014 failed election that they did not want the PTP. I am also referring to the majority that have voted in the last 400 odd opinion polls pre and post coup that have said they do not support the PTP either. I am also referring to the majority that have been held in contempt by the PTP for 3 long years.

Have an election as that is a true indicator of the majority you may say!!!

Well if that majority does not serve your purpose it will be disrespected as well! Seems that the only victim of this disrespect for the majority is democracy....and ironically it the victim of the very people screaming FOR democracy!!

I think martial law and military rule are here to stay. The guy has acquired a family heirloom and he isn't going to give it up. lifting martial law would put this a risk.

In a way... but I think they will work over time to ensure there is only one result in elections. I think there will be 'processes and procedures' and a tight running of an election where Thais get to choose any candidate as long as they are yellow.

Hobson's Choice the same with any new constitution referendum and then they will declare to the world 'Look we did it - we have democracy - Thai style'

I pity the majority. They have never ever been respected when it did not suit the PTP. And people wonder why they are not popular anymore.

Since when did a small group of army generals and their paymasters make a majority?

• Like 1

Please read the following very carefully:

Any discussion of the Thai Monarchy or members of the royal family in a political context will result in a ban. This includes vague comments that could be construed as referring to the Thai Monarchy.

Those rules can be found here: NOTICE TO MEMBERS POSTING IN THAILAND NEWS

PLEASE NOTE:

Also as per forum rule 1:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai Royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to or even referencing external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Thanks for your understanding.

Thaivisa Admin Team

This strong medicine has so far been effective in keeping the situation under control, unlike what happened after the 2006 coup. Just three or four months after that coup, signs of violence emerged, including the bomb attacks in Bangkok on New Year's eve. Then red-shirt supporters started to rally from the middle of 2007 until they formed the powerful United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship.

That paragraph is the explanation as to why martial law is in force and why it is seen to be needed.

Is it any coincidence that the same group is seen to be the biggest threat to peace and indeed reconciliation ?

You mean the same group that won the last 5 elections and been shown to be the will of the majority to rule.. And deposed at gunpoint ??

And they are the threat to reconciliation ??

Muggabbe, Stalin, Putin, Kim Il Jun, Saddam Hussein, Assad, Chinese Communist party, all won and some continue to win elections but how many people want to live in those countries. Winning elections and then doing what the politicians want and ignoring the people is not a Democracy.

How long will junta administer bitter pill of martial law?

As long as there is any hint of that more bitter pill "UDD terrorism" bombing the sweet embrace of the current peace.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Better to be breathing and being lock up; than to die freely.

If this is how much time it takes to lift the martial law, how much time will it take to return to a democracy?

I am pretty sure the army has no intention of leaving anytime soon - they are here to stay.

All this constitution writing is just an act.

Iwish I could qualify for the post of Election Commissioner. Nice office, good salary, good benefits and probably no work for years to come :-(

Like all WEAPONS OF WAR, martial law is means to an end. The Junta does not impose it because of some psychological addiction to power or for sake of personal ego. Martial law is but one in a stockpile of military weapons that can brought to bear against the Thai PEOPLE. When the Junta believes it sees the end of continuous and resurgent civilian threats to its own military power and the power of its elitist patrons, it will wield all its weapon against the Thai PEOPLE with pride, determination, and dedication.

As seen from the behavior of the Junta-controlled government and continuous application of the Junta's absolute power over the Thai PEOPLE, it is clear that the END must be a predictable and politically nuetralized electorate that will be unable to independently determine or change its own path in society. I wouldn't expect to see martial law fully rescinded until long after the next elections, whenver they might occur. The nation might just remain under a permanent martial law, albeit under some pleasing and palatable acronym such as People's Safety Act.

• Like 1

As long as Thailand cannot be sure that the organized and highly financed criminal gang which call themselves UDD is capable of commiting violence for which they have a substantial history.

May be it would be even better, to lift martial law but strike hard and destroy them if they rise their ugly head again.

But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?

"But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?"

You mean the people who want a return to democracy? Martial law, censorship and banning political gatherings are certainly making democrats suffer.

return to what? democracy?

You talk about kleptocracy, right?

I write about elected government, following campaigns where there are political rallies and speeches without censorship. Things the junta opposes and prevents with martial law.

I do not really care.... It has had zero affect on any aspect of my life in the past 8 months, and I don't think I know a single person where it has either.

.. and that is exactly what I hear from all the Thai people I know and try to discuss with... most don't even remember anymore that there is still martial law in place.. and nobody really cares about when the next election will come.

Some one asked what majority I was referring to.

The majority i am referring to is the same majority the Northern Farmers Network chairman Kittisak Rattanawaraha was referring too when he said "most farmers in his network would not vote for Pheu Thai". I am also referring to the majority that voted for the 2007 constitution that the PTP denounced. I am also referring to the majority that made it clear in the failed 2014 failed election that they did not want the PTP. I am also referring to the majority that have voted in the last 400 odd opinion polls pre and post coup that have said they do not support the PTP either. I am also referring to the majority that have been held in contempt by the PTP for 3 long years.

Have an election as that is a true indicator of the majority you may say!!!

Well if that majority does not serve your purpose it will be disrespected as well! Seems that the only victim of this disrespect for the majority is democracy....and ironically it the victim of the very people screaming FOR democracy!!

You believe it to be a majority..

Yet without elections its just that, a belief.. Clearly the PTP dont agree with you, hence why they called for election last year.. Clearly the Dems also didnt as they both boycotted the elections and said they wouldnt win them.. Clearly the biased election commission dont agree with you, as they did everything in thier power to throw the election.. Clearly the Junta dont agree with you, hence why they are doing everything to deny Yingluck the chance to run and hamstring any PTP political power..

Pretty much everyone out there doesnt agree with your definition of a majority.. So theres really only one way to measure that isnt there ??

• Like 2

Martial law in Thailand at this time...is not a bitter pill...but a necessary evil to prevent Thais from warring against one another...have you forgotten?

I remember that was a made-up excuse used by junta enthusiasts from the beginning. Thailand was never close to civil war. Martial law is in place to reassure paranoid, thin-skinned people who seized power in a coup.

• Like 1

As long as Thailand cannot be sure that the organized and highly financed criminal gang which call themselves UDD is capable of commiting violence for which they have a substantial history.

May be it would be even better, to lift martial law but strike hard and destroy them if they rise their ugly head again.

But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?

"But anyway who suffers any negative effects of the martial law - except those who make it necessary?"

You mean the people who want a return to democracy? Martial law, censorship and banning political gatherings are certainly making democrats suffer.

I write about elected government, following campaigns where there are political rallies and speeches without censorship. Things the junta opposes and prevents with martial law.

you also agree with campaigns and political rallies without being fired at with grenades, do you?

you also agree with campaigns and political rallies without being fired at with grenades, do you?

Of course, but those are banned under martial law, with no end in sight.

I also don't think that Suthep's mob, however lawless and undemocratic, should have been fired upon, but I've seen no evidence the Yingluck government was complicit in that. And since Suthep's minions illegally occupied government property, blocked public streets, and used violence and intimidation to obstruct an election, a backlash was perhaps inevitable. A proper response would have been for the army to clearly state there would be no coup and there would be elections, and to take steps to safeguard the election if necessary. For some reason this response wasn't acceptable to Prayuth.