Daniel Russel insists on his political impartiality and the US support for the Thai people and Thail

Lite Beer

Daniel Russel insists on his political impartiality and the US support for the Thai people and Thailand

1-29-2015-8-53-04-PM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- US Assistant Secretary of State for Asian and Pacific Affairs Daniel Russel maintained that his visit to Thailand early this week was planned long ago before the impeachment of former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra and that his visit here was to show the US support for the Thai people and the kingdom of Thailand and not any particular political parties or political groups.

In his exclusive interview with the Thai PBS, Mr Russel warned that it would not be easy for Thailand to convince the international community that it was committed to full restoration democracy in the country while martial law is still at place, freedom of expression is still restricted and inclusive political process remains elusive.

He stressed that only inclusive political process will lead to long-term stability which is important not just to Thailand but to the United States as well because Thailand is an important partner and ally.

Mr Russel said that normalization of relations between Thailand and the US would depend on the restoration of a credible democratically-elected a in Thailand and this can be made possible if all sectors of the Thai society are included in political process and have a role to play in determining the future of their country.

The US diplomat admitted that he was very direct and candid in his discussion earlier this week with Foreign Minister Thanasak Patimaprakorn on issues regarding martial law, freedom of expression, freedom of assembly and inclusive political process.

Mr Russel noted that it was a misconception that the US has deliberately delayed the appointment of a new ambassador to Thailand as a means to show its disapproval of the military coup.

He explained that it is normal to have a time gap between the departure of one ambassador and the arrival of a new one. He said that as soon as the White House make an announcement of the new ambassador, the appointee will be sent to Thailand by the State Department.

On human trafficking problem, Mr Russel said that he felt the Thai government was committed to resolving this problem in earnest. However, he pointed out that commitment itself must be backed up with real actions. There must be progress in the arrest of the traffickers and their prosecution, he said, adding that he is closely monitoring the result of this effort.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/daniel-russel-insists-political-impartiality-us-support-thai-people-thailand

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-29

I hope this bloke keeps screaming from the top of the hills!!!]]

Mr Russel warned that it would not be easy for Thailand to convince the international community that it was committed to full restoration democracy in the country while martial law is still at place, freedom of expression is still restricted and inclusive political process remains elusive.
  • Like 1

In his exclusive interview with the Thai PBS, Mr Russel warned that it would not be easy for Thailand to convince the international community that it was committed to full restoration democracy in the country while martial law is still at place, freedom of expression is still restricted and inclusive political process remains elusive.

as true as this statement is, the envoy has still been accused of 'interference' by right-wing royalists like the head of the 'NLA'.

OK, so I leave open the possibility that the head of the 'NLA' doesn't understand English at all and is unable to read what was said.

http://www.state.gov/p/eap/rls/rm/2015/01/236308.htm

"freedom of expression is still restricted and inclusive political process remains elusive."

So nothing new there, then. wink.png

But one does worry that, in their p.c. rush to show that they don't like military-governments this week, they risk pushing Thailand even further towards China's open arms, which surely cannot be the USA's long-term objective ? facepalm.gif

It is my sandbox...my play toys...I call the shots...who can play...what hours they are allowed to enter the box...what hours they can drink and what they can say and not say...

This is our new democracy...any questions?

So he met with the former PM and the former opposition leader, but not the current self-appointed leader.

But he not Thai, how could he possibly understand or know what is fair for Thai people!!

And I quote ' I am in charge now, how dare you question my power '

Ironic that any realistic definition of the type person quoted above would be a d....tor.

But that has been outlawed to say by said self appointed ruler.

He is a member of the State Department. It's his job to understand the Thai people if he is coming into the country and giving speeches.

His comments are simply irresponsible and should not be made in a speech or public interview and can only be interrupted as a desire for inciting more unrest in Thailand.

as true as this statement is, the envoy has still been accused of 'interference' by right-wing royalists like the head of the 'NLA'.

Well your statement is certainly true, but I'm not sure what your point is. Can you expound?

If ANYONE wants to know what Mr. Russel is actually saying then they can just watch his interview with Thai PBS. There is absolutely nothing he is saying up through minute 17 of the interview that very few people cannot agree with. This PBS reporter really tried to get him with a lot of hard controversial questions on marital law and a few other issues so she did her job well.

I'm not sure I can put a link so just go to YouTube and search for his interview using this search string:

ตอบโจทย์ ไทยพีบีเอส : 8 เดือนรัฐประหาร สถานะ "ไทย" สายตา "สหรัฐฯ" (28 ม.ค. 58)

Of course, we will never know his exact words to anyone in the government, behind closed doors, other than what they tell us he said or from biased reporters that tell us what he said.

Edited by oneday
  • Like 1

Russel looks like what he is. A soft, pudgy little prig. A message boy for a government in Washington DC that fouls up each and every single foreign policy initiative it embarks on. Would Libya be better off with its "dictator," who had started to change and shift towards the US? What about Egypt? Could have saved several thousand lives, not to mention the Christian Coptic Church, had the US backed its ally, instead of the Muslim Brotherhood. And even Syria? Syria was at least stable and susceptible to diplomatic pressure before virtually everything crumbled into anarchy. Obama thinks the entire world should function just like a combination of New York City and Chicago, with all the depravity and greed of the former and all the fancied up corruption and violence of the latter.

Thai politics for the Thai people ye'p cool with that, interfering? since when is saying as it is interfering? Is it his job to make statements regarding the US thoughts? Ye'p, So he did his job, welcome to the world of international politics. the fact is this country can do as it wants politically and it's not the US' business. But they both want to keep each other in the good books so diplomacy is how it works man.

And treating all countries equally,,, ye'p that happens here a lot huh Burmese workers are treated equally aren't they, the lao people and Cambodians also treated equally and not looked down upon, Geez man they they look down at each other and treat each other unequally, and the falang also treated unequally be they tourist or expat, remember the Thai price and falang price, that's equal isn't it.

But seriously If the US really wanted Thailand to re-install democratic process and rule of law, free speech and fix the human trafficking issues ivory trade, etc, then everyone knows how to get a Thai person to do something $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

So stop donating money simply cut all economic aid and stop buying products, it's making choices via the wallet, then you might get some action because money is everything here as we know.

Did he remind, democratically elected and democratically re-elected Obama about his election promise to the electorate on Guantanamo Bay?
Where was mouthpiece Russell when Egypt went CIA-supported undemocratic? Where was Russell when Bush told Blix heading the UN monitoring/verification and Inspection Commission (looking for weapons of mass destruction delivered by the USA in their support of Saddam Hussein 1980-1988) to get his people out in 48 hours after which Bush started the war?

Russell - shut up and go home; you made America the laughing stock of foreign politics - once more again crying.gif

To make a statement is not interfering at first and politicians have to do that and also have to put the finger in wounds as now the press can not do it while material law dont alow a free press.

And the problem is: Thais dont want to face the truth and statements that not fits into their point of view.

Better they would listen to much more statments from abroad and use the knowledge and experts from outside of the country to listen and use their statments for create an open and democratic new constitution and laws as well a government that has the minimum of an idea what means DEMOCRACY

I concerned about this country i am living in and love to live many many more ears but i want to see this country is flourishing paid by consistent action and not again mired in the corruption of the powerfull and family clans and the population is more the fool again of paing the bill!

Well your statement is certainly true, but I'm not sure what your point is. Can you expound?

If ANYONE wants to know what Mr. Russel is actually saying then they can just watch his interview with Thai PBS. There is absolutely nothing he is saying up through minute 17 of the interview that very few people cannot agree with. This PBS reporter really tried to get him with a lot of hard controversial questions on marital law and a few other issues so she did her job well.

I'm not sure I can put a link so just go to YouTube and search for his interview using this search string:

Of course, we will never know his exact words to anyone in the government, behind closed doors, other than what they tell us he said or from biased reporters that tell us what he said.

The point is that the current ultra-nationalist in the 'NLA' appear to be interested in creating a foreign boogey-man or external 'threat' out of comments which potentially expose their impeachment decision for what it is. They can't address the actual statements because it is too obvious that they are doing exactly what the envoy says "could be"... so they need to simply demonize the messenger.

It's a normal tactic for this style of 'government'.

(PS: not only is his interview online, the text of his speech is at the US gov website : http://www.state.gov/p/eap/rls/rm/2015/01/236308.htm)

Edited by tbthailand

The point is that the current ultra-nationalist in the 'NLA' appear to be interested in creating a foreign boogey-man or external 'threat' out of comments which potentially expose their impeachment decision for what it is. They can't address the actual statements because it is too obvious that they are doing exactly what the envoy says "could be"... so they need to simply demonize the messenger.

It's a normal tactic for this style of 'government'.

(PS: not only is his interview online, the text of his speech is at the US gov website : http://www.state.gov/p/eap/rls/rm/2015/01/236308.htm)

From the speech

"I'd add that the perception of fairness is also extremely important and although this is being pretty blunt, when an elected leader is removed from office, is deposed, then impeached by the authorities -- the same authorities that conducted the coup -- and then when a political leader is targeted with criminal charges at a time when the basic democratic processes and institutions in the country are interrupted, the international community is going to be left with the impression that these steps could in fact be politically driven."

So, the NCPO/NLA has to work on 'perception' after they voted to impeach based on facts ?