Martial law to be strictly enforced

Lite Beer

"Report of an attempt to hold campaign to encourage the public to wear red shirts every Sunday". Where did this come from...???..???.. Who in their right mind would wear RED shirts in Bangkok?

"Where did this come from?"

In Thai and Khmer traditions, there is an astrological rule (which has influence from Hindu mythology) that assigns a colour for each day of the week. The colour is assigned based on the colour of the God who protects the day or Navagraha. For example, the God of Sunday is Surya which has RED colour. These colors of the day are the traditional Thai birthday colors. For example, King Bhumibol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow colour

I wear Ferrari Red shirts in Bangkok as I am in my left mind and like to stand out in a crowd. It is also Chinese New Year in Bangkok on Feb 19th so there will soon be a sea of red shirted Thai Chinese.

However, I am off to Changrai today for a long weekend with a Democrat Senator so I will be wearing blue

F.Y.I. Sunday = Red

Monday = Blue

Tuesday = Pink

Wed(Day) = Green

Wed(Night) = Grey

Thursday = Orange

Friday = Light Blue

Saturday = Purple

To all those posters here and the minority of Thai people who are so desperately unhappy with the privations of life in Thailand I say 'cool down'. You are not going to be given the chance to turn the whole country upside down for some airy fairy idea called democracy.

If you think that we need to listen to democracies call, take a look at Syria; millions of people who were living peacefully in Syria have lost it all thanks to the 'help' given by the West to a minority of dissidents, united only by the fact that keeping their mouths shut was too much for them. It won't be an Islamic State which fills the void here but it will be just as bad.

• Like 1

He also said that authorities were monitoring the red-shirt people's campaign to wear red on Sundays

Time to reorganize the wardrobe?

The guy from the sawmill, who lost 2 fingers, eating a sandwich while wearing his red shirt on his only free day of the week, will be in deep trouble i assume.

Since he is unlikely to be from the Bangkok middle class, and quite possibly may have voted for Thaksin at some time in the past, then who cares?

Looks you are a shining example of a democracy defender, Prayuth style.

Free elections.................as long as you vote for the person you're told to.

• Like 1

I feel that the time has come to keep the travel luggage at hand.

If you feel like that, nobody is here to stop you.

I'm staying here and I fully trust that this government will change Thailand for the better.

Another whistler in the dark. Think the general heard you?

"Gen Prayut was furious, however, when asked to comment on report of an attempt to hold campaign to encourage the public to wear red shirts every Sunday."

"He rebuked the question by angrily asking if such a proposal was considered appropriate."

elmer_fudd_chickens.gif

Edited by tkramer

PM vows intensified martial law

By Digital Content

14225247292902-640x390x1.jpg

BANGKOK, Jan 30 -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said the government would strictly enforce martial law measures, ban overseas trips and check the financial transactions of inciters unless they stopped their movement.

He expressed his stance as the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) summoned key Pheu Thai Party member Surapong Tovichakchaikul to create better understanding.

The prime minister said he did not know whether security authorities would detail Mr Surapong overnight.

Mr Surapong was summoned because he shared improper opinions and challenged the government and the martial law and the government needed to take legal action to prevent disorder, Gen Prayut said.

The prime minister said former Pheu Thai energy minister Pichai Naripthaphan would also be summoned for mutual understanding for criticizing the energy policies of the government although he had done nothing during his past tenure as the energy minister.

"If their movements continue, they will be prohibited from leaving the country, have their finances examined and be banned from conducting financial transactions. The imposition of martial law has been relaxed [until now] but from now on it will be intensified to cope with national situations," the prime minister said.

He also said that authorities were monitoring the red-shirt people's campaign to wear red on Sundays and that present political situations were annoying. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2015-01-30

This guy is...

"Report of an attempt to hold campaign to encourage the public to wear red shirts every Sunday". Where did this come from...???..???.. Who in their right mind would wear RED shirts in Bangkok?

"Where did this come from?"

In Thai and Khmer traditions, there is an astrological rule (which has influence from Hindu mythology) that assigns a colour for each day of the week. The colour is assigned based on the colour of the God who protects the day or Navagraha. For example, the God of Sunday is Surya which has RED colour. These colors of the day are the traditional Thai birthday colors. For example, King Bhumibol was born on Monday, so on his birthday throughout Thailand will be decorated with yellow colour

I wear Ferrari Red shirts in Bangkok as I am in my left mind and like to stand out in a crowd. It is also Chinese New Year in Bangkok on Feb 19th so there will soon be a sea of red shirted Thai Chinese.

However, I am off to Changrai today for a long weekend with a Democrat Senator so I will be wearing blue

F.Y.I. Sunday = Red

Monday = Blue

Tuesday = Pink

Wed(Day) = Green

Wed(Night) = Grey

Thursday = Orange

Friday = Light Blue

Saturday = Purple

So where they get the yellow on Monday from, which has been advised for the past 10 years at least?

• Like 1

Only for red supporters, the rest of us don't have to worry.

I am happy the general is going to put on a tough stance against the red shirts. They were beginning to believe that they could revert back to threatening to release their attack dogs to get YL of the hook.

Now all the general is doing is making sure the reds will not rise and start burning bombing and such. You know the things they have proven to be good at.

• Like 1

Funny thing about Martial law in Thailand...... its always rather ummm lets say..........regional and inconsistent.

Does this mean that Samui won't have a curfew but Phuket will ? i mean this important for any would be tourists thinking of having a late night out whistling.gif

Seems logical enough to me.. there where there are many red thugs there is more chance of a curfew then places where these trouble makers are not.

Logic must be something you never studied. Seems real clear to me.

But wasn't there a "small group of protesters at the US embassy yesterday? isn't protesting against martial law? Consistency........blink.png

This is Thailand you dont understand Thai consistency
I am interested in learning the Thai language, so I looked up the following words/phrases in a Thai/English dictionary, but could not find a translation. Can anyone help, please?

Consistency

Integrity

Reliability

Honesty

Service

Pre-planned maintenance

Product liability

Value for money

I can help but you have a long row to hoe!

To find a Thai word you need an English-Thai dictionary, can you read Thai?

• Like 1

He's looking more and more like the new leader of Egypt Sisi.

Don't talk nonsense.

Thailand was at the brink of civil war - courtesy of corrupt politicians on both sides.

Now Thailand is at peace. Well boo-hoo if Surapong can't put his spoon in the sh!t again.

Apparently you don't see the long game here. You see only today and yesterday.

It is possible for law enforcement including the military to restore order in the streets AND have an election.

But that isn't what they want which would be "the little people" choosing the leaders, so you get a d word accountable to the elite.

<deleted>' blind.

Where has the present administration ever said there won't be an election?

Funny thing about Martial law in Thailand...... its always rather ummm lets say..........regional and inconsistent.

Does this mean that Samui won't have a curfew but Phuket will ? i mean this important for any would be tourists thinking of having a late night out whistling.gif

Seems logical enough to me.. there where there are many red thugs there is more chance of a curfew then places where these trouble makers are not.

Logic to you perhaps but oppression/suppression to others ;-)

• Like 2

So let me get this right?

A poll that stated 93% of the population said it was happy with the Junta and then down to 87% recently but he feels the need to "strictly enforce martial law" ?

Now to me that means the polls were completely fabricated to begin with or he's now extremely paranoid? Or both!!!

Peace and reconciliation ? I don't think so, and again it will impact tourism which by all accounts the numbers were fabricated too.

It's looking more and more like rifts are developing within the clique, THAI stating there's no intention of cutting jobs too despite what the PM said about trimming down 5000 odd jobs.

He cannot handle pressure or dissenting opinions he's far from being the "democratic soldier " as he claimed to be the other day.

I have a feeling he will be tested on this and if he starts shooting protestors for dissent will the kool aid junta supporters still maintain he's doing the right thing?

It's pretty clear he's trying to eradicate the old PTP which isn't necessary a bad thing but you still need to have a healthy opposition to any Government he's not doing anything to convince the PTP supporters to switch their allegiance, if anything he's doing the opposite.

I like my cool aid fat haggis, and the guy is just trying to make sure the reds don't do what they are good at.. bombing.. burning ect. That was the whole reason of the coup to make sure the bloodshed was gone.

Now the PTP is trying to mobilize their supporters because they don't like the rule of law going after YL. He is just pulling the dogs teeth and so he should. let the courts do their work without fear of redshirts buring bombing killing. You know they went after judges before he.. remember publicizing of private data of the judges. This is all to make sure that justice will finally catch up with the PTP.

They will do anything to stop this and one of the things is releasing their war dogs and create a bloodshed. The junta is just trying to stop that and I rather have them stop it this way then with bullets.

• Like 1

But wasn't there a "small group of protesters at the US embassy yesterday? isn't protesting against martial law? Consistency........blink.png

This is Thailand you dont understand Thai consistency
I am interested in learning the Thai language, so I looked up the following words/phrases in a Thai/English dictionary, but could not find a translation. Can anyone help, please?

Consistency

Integrity

Reliability

Honesty

Service

Pre-planned maintenance

Product liability

Value for money

I can help but you have a long row to hoe!

To find a Thai word you need an English-Thai dictionary, can you read Thai?

Still struggling with English!

I am a Geordie after all.

Please try to fault the logic of going after trouble spots and deploying your forces logically. You had experience with IRA did you have a curfew over the whole there or just he trouble-spots and do explain to me how that is different.

Martial law to be strictly enforced

we wouldn't expect anything less from you General. Good work ol' boy... clap2.gif

The wearing of Red Shirts on a Sunday to be looked at

That's going to piss off the sports bar managers & fake football shirt vendors when Arsenal Liverpool & Man Utd play most of their games on a Sunday in the indochina time zone

Edited by Stjohnm

In my experience Thai people do not like being told what to do. Even if the person telling them is obviously more educated and experienced they will nevertheless try their way. I do not think Attitude Adjustment is going to work. Maybe just let people have their own ideas but encouraging them to keep them to themselves would be better, for the time being.

King Canute could not stop the waves and General Prayuth will not have much better success in changing the minds of his dissenters. I hope focus returns to reforms rather than personal adjustments. Let's get on with the much necessary job of adjusting Thailands democracy and ridding it of the excesses of corruption so it can move forward to its democratic future. In the meantime educate the masses with a viable progressive upheaval of the education systems

I'm sure the Western allies will understand before the week comes to an end, and in addition will 98.6% of the Thai population support that general happiness once again blew a fuse.

Nope, sorry to correct you...it will be 98.67437%...more decimals more believable, right????

Sorry lad, you sure you haven't confused decimals with decibels?

• Like 1

I'm sure the Western allies will understand before the week comes to an end, and in addition will 98.6% of the Thai population support that general happiness once again blew a fuse.

So. The General is going to call the opposition party leaders for an attitude adjustment. I am sure that will NOT happen, as opposing parties NEVER see the other party's proposals as having the least bit of merit. The General assumes the opposition can be made to understand HIS Martial Law policies. I am sure they will NOT agree on this either. I guess next, the General will have the opposition arrested and imprisoned on some trumped up Martial Law violation. The big question is how will continued Martial law impact the generl population of rural Thailand. It has already had adverse impacts in my wife's vilage in Isan. Freedom is a word from a former government.

• Like 1

If you feel like that, nobody is here to stop you.

I'm staying here and I fully trust that this government will change Thailand for the better.

I applaud your optimism, but 19 coups later we still seem to be in a 'back to the future' loop.

In point of fact, what military coup has ever improved things? Egypt, Haiti, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria...and dare I mention it Greece?

I'm not interested about military coups in other countries, not even Greece

I'm only interested in Thailand and I believe that nothing better could have happen for them than this government.

The attitude adjustment worked on you.....

• Like 1

Please try to fault the logic of going after trouble spots and deploying your forces logically. You had experience with IRA did you have a curfew over the whole there or just he trouble-spots and do explain to me how that is different.

No curves was in palace during my times there in the 1980's in NI or the UK mainland as that's where the PIRA operated, now now Rob in response to your previous post, care to tell me how effective Martial Law has been in the Deep South assuming it was under martial law for the past 10 years? Because they are still suffering terrorist attacks and acts of terrorism?

I don't recall Bangkok beig the whole of Thailand either instead of martial law why isn't he going after that hardcore group as he already said befere he knew who they all were!!!

for attitude adjustment!

I would love to hear what a person's options are when going thru the "attitude adjustment"...

At some point in time...a thorn-bush has to be called a thorn-bush...and not be presented to the public as a harmless sweet smelling rose...

General Happiness....love it!