Traffic-management plans laid for tunnel-construction zone

Rimmer

And they closed it off at SSCC just 4 days before the LPGA tournament on... you guessed it... SSCC. Left hand, meet right hand. You've clearly never been introduced before.

I was at Lotus South about two hours ago. It was packed. And getting back to SSCC means going all the way down to nearly Bangkok hospital before you can turn around and come back to it. Time to start looking for alternate routes. And maybe a new condo closer to town. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Traffic tunnel for Pattaya now under construction

25-2-2558-12-02-55-wpcf_728x406.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya City began constructing a two kilometre long traffic tunnel on Sukhumvit road to ease traffic congestions at intersection entering the city.

Construction began today with two traffic lanes on Sukhumvit road to be closed from Soi Siam Country Club to King Power Pattaya Complex to facilitate construction work.

The 4-lane traffic tunnel will be 1.9 kilometres long and 20 meres wide and also is designed with flood prevention system. Construction time is 810 days.

Upon completion of the tunnel, traffic on Sukhumvit road from Pattaya to Sattahip and Rayong can flow more conveniently through the tunnel, while traffic congestion in the Pattaya City will also be eased.

Traffic warning signs and advice to keep off closed traffic lanes are being erected to keep motorists informed.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/traffic-tunnel-pattaya-now-construction

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-02-25

At least they look to have finished the roadworks on Suk north of the Klang junction - it had been chaos there recently as they were right by the first u-turn you could use to get back to Klang.

Also noticed this morning that it was left turn only heading west out of Nernplabwhan and Khao Noi at the railway tracks - unable to go straight across railway at either to get to Suk.

At least they look to have finished the roadworks on Suk north of the Klang junction - it had been chaos there recently as they were right by the first u-turn you could use to get back to Klang.

Also noticed this morning that it was left turn only heading west out of Nernplabwhan and Khao Noi at the railway tracks - unable to go straight across railway at either to get to Suk.

They do that at the railway quite ofter in rush hour, nothing new there. Just backs up further down the road Hmmmmm.

You're not going to believe this. The intersection at Siam Country Club Road and Sukhumvit is now blocked with concrete barriers. Must have done it overnight. People like me were lined up to cross Suk about an hour ago and saw the lights were inoperative. Then I saw the barriers and could not believe it.

facepalm.gif

So two major streams of traffic that want to go to the beach side will all have to travel south to that puny little u-turn. This is going to be the worst time to be in Pattaya, arriving or leaving but especially living here. I really have to think about my options now, including moving back to Bangkok or leaving Thailand. Point blank.

I'll say it again, in the hope that SOMEONE with just a hint of entrepreneurial sense will realize that it's time to expand into the east side of Suk with a major supermarket. The customers will positively storm the place from day one! WAKE UP, supermarket owners!!

(With Big C-X and Foodland now virtually ISOLATED, I'll be that Big C South and Lotus South are now so packed that it's almost impossible to park there. They are probably running out of stock on hundreds of items. And the cashier lines must all be about 1/2 a km long! Am I right?

Isolated!!! really i actually had them down for being in the center of town where most people stay.

• Like 1

You're not going to believe this. The intersection at Siam Country Club Road and Sukhumvit is now blocked with concrete barriers. Must have done it overnight. People like me were lined up to cross Suk about an hour ago and saw the lights were inoperative. Then I saw the barriers and could not believe it.

facepalm.gif

So two major streams of traffic that want to go to the beach side will all have to travel south to that puny little u-turn. This is going to be the worst time to be in Pattaya, arriving or leaving but especially living here. I really have to think about my options now, including moving back to Bangkok or leaving Thailand. Point blank.

I'll say it again, in the hope that SOMEONE with just a hint of entrepreneurial sense will realize that it's time to expand into the east side of Suk with a major supermarket. The customers will positively storm the place from day one! WAKE UP, supermarket owners!!

(With Big C-X and Foodland now virtually ISOLATED, I'll be that Big C South and Lotus South are now so packed that it's almost impossible to park there. They are probably running out of stock on hundreds of items. And the cashier lines must all be about 1/2 a km long! Am I right?

Isolated!!! really i actually had them down for being in the center of town where most people stay.

I think these days there is far more people living east of Sukhumvit than beach side.

• Like 2

facepalm.gif

You missed the point. I meant that they are "isolated" by the new traffic re-routings. Pattaya Klang is now one way from Suk to 3rd Rd. NO way to get to them from the west, except via that small road off of 3rd Road just north of Klang. And, of course, getting OUT and away will be a "day trip"! I'd call that "isolated".

• Like 1

facepalm.gif

You missed the point. I meant that they are "isolated" by the new traffic re-routings. Pattaya Klang is now one way from Suk to 3rd Rd. NO way to get to them from the west, except via that small road off of 3rd Road just north of Klang. And, of course, getting OUT and away will be a "day trip"! I'd call that "isolated".

" via that small road off of 3rd Road"

This already has to be one of the worst junctions around with many vehicles crossing 3rd road to the small soi which runs alongside the 711. I have seen countless motorbike accidents there when faster drivers don't have time to slow downsad.png

SSCC is now one way all the way from Sukhumvit to the railroad tracks. They restriped it in white at some point in the last day or two.

At the tracks you're forced to turn left and go down to the next intersection to cross the tracks and come back up to SSCC. Of course, no working traffic light or officer at the intersection where you have to u turn, so traffic is backed up forever. Is this all part of the same plan? I can't fathom how this is going to help traffic at all.

There is only one possible reason for the decision to build a tunnel (3 years ++) rather than an overpass (6 months - 1 year, at worst)

The higher value the project, the greater the 'tea money', pure and simple.

There is an argument that says that without the opportunities for tea money, Thailand's infrastructure - especially its road networks/motorways - would not be where they are today, and I for one subscribe to this theory.

But even so, isn't it about time to call 'time' on this obscene grab for kickbacks?

Major disruption to residents and tourists alike for at least four years - probably much longer - and the vast amount of money that could be spent on much worthier projects make this really something - even for Thailand.

I would be very happy if any engineers out there can point out where I am wrong and how a tunnel can be preferable to an overpass, after taking into account the high additional cost and the additional years of disruption.

Was there a public inquiry - were the residents' or the tourist industry's views sought before the contract was signed?

Was a second opinion sought - dare I suggest from overseas experts in such matters?

• Like 1

Ah well, it'll make a lovely water feature in a few years blink.png

i would think that implementing and enforcing parking restrictions, adding adequate off-road parking and a park & ride scheme would have been a little easier and quite effective. Not as glamorus or kick-back-tastic though. And the police would have to actually, well, police.

• Like 1

I would love to really see what the hell they teach in engineering school. Park the water drain in the middle of the road, My god it does not take a degree to figure out that water runs down hill. Look at the mess on Second road were you need to dodge the drainage holes with car and motorbike. They do have the big tunnel up in khon Khaen but i think the over pass idea would be much better.

A large part of the problem, IMO, is the willingness of the average Thai person to simply accept the mess created by these nightmare projects with barely a whisper of complaint. Can you imagine the UPROAR of local citizenry in the USA (or, I imagine, the UK), if this sort of thing happened there? First of all, it couldn't happen there, because, as noted by another TV member, there would have been a legitimate process of proposals and reviews before it was launched. I will go so far as to say that, given the same set of circumstances, there is no doubt that an overpass would have been the plan, NOT a tunnel!

I've only lived here for 9 years. I thought the Thepprasit project was outrageous. I thought the lack of foresight in building roads on either side of the RR tracks, and installing traffic signals which have NEVER WORKED was outrageous. I've thought that the woefully inadequate materials used for road repairs is outrageous. But THIS ... THIS is POSITIVELY CRIMINAL!!

I think they should have use the rail line to build the bypass over. They are still trying to finish the motorway over 34 in Chonburi city, They could have run this along the rail line all the way down past Sattahip. That would bypass Chonburi, Si Racha , Pattaya. Just look at a map and follow the rail road tracks. All that traffic has to exit motorway and take the 361 bypass, they either have to go back out to 7 or come into 3 or Sukhumvit road. A freak en mess .

I must admit the guy who has drawn the traffic plan for these works has some serious dark humor hahahahaha

all main arteries crossing Sukhumvit closed with only minor Uturns left open to swallow 100s of vehicles

Now he must have thought it was soo funny so he did the same at the rail road effectivly closing every straight crossing of the railroad starting from Kao Taloo all the way to main waterworks road to Mabprachan.

Anyway I guess I will be enjoying the full day trips to any Lotus or BigC once week or maybe faster to hea don the high way (luckily I live near an entry) to go shopping in SriRacha from now on.

cant say he didnt succeed in his objective in effectively reducing traffic on Sukhumvit road in making sure it becomes impossible to reach it and when youu reach you can only go straight so great job .......... what you say the whole of Pattaya and the Dark Side are jam logged? that's not on my agenda as I am sure someone else will take care of that or maybe not..... hahahaha

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No right turn onto Klang from Sukhumvit coming from the North? What are you going to do? Next U-Turn is about 1km down the road or so and it's a very small U-turn. This is going to be crazy.

Yes, but persevere and then cut down Soi 46/3 (Soi Batman) onto Soi 18 and pop up in the middle of Sai Sahm without getting stuck on Tai or Klang.

Is there really a Soi BATMAN???

Don't you just love it...only in Thailand....

I suppose we can add it to the annals of strange names of sois in Thailand, like Soi Muslim, Soi Welcome, Soi Honey, Soi Cowboy, and so on. Maybe Walking Street should be re-named Soi Boom Boom, and that road in Jomtien where they have all the condo jumpers should be called Soi Suicide...

Any more?

Soi post office between beach road and 2nd.

• Like 1

A large part of the problem, IMO, is the willingness of the average Thai person to simply accept the mess created by these nightmare projects with barely a whisper of complaint. Can you imagine the UPROAR of local citizenry in the USA (or, I imagine, the UK), if this sort of thing happened there? First of all, it couldn't happen there, because, as noted by another TV member, there would have been a legitimate process of proposals and reviews before it was launched. I will go so far as to say that, given the same set of circumstances, there is no doubt that an overpass would have been the plan, NOT a tunnel!

I've only lived here for 9 years. I thought the Thepprasit project was outrageous. I thought the lack of foresight in building roads on either side of the RR tracks, and installing traffic signals which have NEVER WORKED was outrageous. I've thought that the woefully inadequate materials used for road repairs is outrageous. But THIS ... THIS is POSITIVELY CRIMINAL!!

MMm I can presume you have never lived in London ( apologies if I am wrong) we have a ring road called the M25. Sometimes you can spend 4 hours in a queue getting through the never ending roadworks .

I am sure the quality of the construction is much better.

However you don't live in Kansas anymore, the never ending comparisons to the USA or Europe is just irrelevant- to be honest it's one reason I like living here; its all a bit bonkers.

And really it's none of your business, unless you contribute billions in tax and feel you have a say in how the country is run.

Calm down and don't be so outraged, stressed- you might live longer?

MMm I can presume you have never lived in London ( apologies if I am wrong) we have a ring road called the M25. Sometimes you can spend 4 hours in a queue getting through the never ending roadworks .

I am sure the quality of the construction is much better.

However you don't live in Kansas anymore, the never ending comparisons to the USA or Europe is just irrelevant- to be honest it's one reason I like living here; its all a bit bonkers.

And really it's none of your business, unless you contribute billions in tax and feel you have a say in how the country is run.

Calm down and don't be so outraged, stressed- you might live longer?

My friend, I agree with you that those of us living here on some kind of visa from another country have no power to influence decisions made by Thai authorities. But, while you are also correct in stating that most of us (business owners excepted) do not pay taxes, we, as a group, make a very significant contribution to the economy of this city; perhaps more than Thai residents, though I have no evidence to verify that. IMO, that gives us every right to discuss and complain about decisions that effect our daily lives as "permanent guests" here; even if the Thai authorities choose to ignore our comments and criticisms. I don't see how it is possible to live one's life without making comparisons to pieces of that life that have been better or worse somewhere else. Such discussion is totally relevant to my life. It is much more "bonkers", IMO, to simply accept every negative impact on your life without at least considering it an issue worth discussion.

" via that small road off of 3rd Road"

This already has to be one of the worst junctions around with many vehicles crossing 3rd road to the small soi which runs alongside the 711. I have seen countless motorbike accidents there when faster drivers don't have time to slow downsad.png

I just went through that junction about an hour ago - they have put up a couple of large plastic block barriers and strung something between to stop people turning right and or left from the north and from crossing 3rd from either way. It will just make it more of a mess as the bikes will now have to negotiate this extra obstacle.

The only positive thing about all this is that entrepreneurs on the dark side will benefit.

Instead if struggling across and through all kind of traffic-rearrangements, people will stay on their dark side.

Regarding shopping at Foodland: if you're a night owl, go in the nighttime.

• Like 1

For several days now I leave my Nern Pub Wan home, park my moto at Numchai and walk across the pedestrian bridge to Big C etc. I just don't like mixing with speeding vehicles on Sukhumvit Death Valley. I also don't like riding all the way from Klang to Pattaya Nua and back down again for 5 more km, although I take Soi Yume. I'm not going to do this for 3-4 years. What a mess, a mess that will just get worse and worse. It will soon be time to leave Thailand

Began today!!!

It has been ongoing for weeks, it still looks like they are setting out lanes, removing trees, blocking off junctions, getting equipment in place.

Can't access Klang from the North, or get towards the darkside heading South near Klang.

I took a look yesterday. A lot of traffic issues as you would expect.

Now barriers across Soi Siam CC at the railway line bypass.

Edited by jacko45k

I went to go up to my girlfriend's shop on Soi Khao Talo from View Talay 2 yesterday and found that a right turn from Sukhumwit is no longer allowed. Fortunately, I had my GPS though it was pretty damned useless due to many of the u-turn points being blocked off because of the construction of the tunnel!!! I don't really know the roads that side of Sukhumwit so had to rely on the GPS.

Another road that I have taken in the past was blocked off stopping traffic turning left so I ended up driving past Thepprasit and taking another road towards the railway line. Great timing with the construction of the tunnel having just started!

Alan