Phuket tour desks operators to be trained and licenced

webfact

Phuket tour desks operators to be trained and licenced
Nattapat Tuarob

1422589839_1-org.jpg
There was a large turnout of tour desk operators at the meeting on Wednesday (January 28).

Phuket: -- According to one tour desk operator, taxi drivers are turning themselves into tour sales operators. However, Director of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports Phuket Office, Santi Pawai says that this is is totally illegal.

This issue was one of many raised at a meeting of tour desk operators which took place Wednesday (January 28).

Speaking at the meeting, Mr Santi said, “I will set up training for tour desk sales operators which will at least prevent foreigners from being in the tour sales position.

“Tour sales operators will have an identification licence just like we give to guides, and that will decrease scams on tourists.

“I would like to ask for all tour desk operators to send their names to me and we will set up the training for you.

"If we have identification cards or licences, there will be no possibility for other people to sell. If you don't have that card, you are illegal.

“Also, you have to tell me your cost estimates. I don't know the costs of your business. And after the price has been set, whoever sells below that price will have their licence cancelled.”

He went on to say, “At the beginning of February, our Tourism and Sport Office, in cooperation with the Navy and police, will start to apply 'Job Order Clarifications' at Phuket International Airport to every tour group. If you don't have the correct clarification you will be arrested and charged accordingly, but we will let all the tourists go.

“From what I have seen, the problem is because of a price war and using foreigners who don't even have work permit.”

Sithipol Pechkhajee, President of Phuket Tour Desk Group said, “We have a problem about price cutting, this issue has long been fought over.

“Once, Governor Nisit said that if tour desks sold at a cheap price there is nothing the law could do because consumers will think it is for their benefit. Therefore, it will become the operators problem as it is down to them to gather and set their cost estimates.”

Unfortunately, the meeting failed to find solid solutions for a number of the problems discussed. Therefore, a further meeting will take place in February.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tour-desks-operators-to-be-trained-and-licenced-50805.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-30

Trained in what exactly? How to fleece a tourist 101 ... the jet ski operators have that covered; maybe they are the ones giving the lectures.

The Thais haven't got a clue what tourists want; that much is clearly evident but of course Thainess dictates they know best ... but of course that has nothing to do with the on-going decline in tourism.

Time to put Thainess to one side, wake up and smell the roses .... foreigners are not your enemy and despite what most people say the expats would love to see you change, educated and prosper. Until the Thai mantra of what's good for the many doesn't fit in with what's good for the one is over come then the many will continue to suffer and no dictator is ever going to change the fact that those in charge couldn't give a rats backside about the majority.

Also, you have to tell me your cost estimates. I don't know the costs of your business. And after the price has been set, whoever sells below that price will have their licence cancelled.”

“From what I have seen, the problem is because of a price war and using foreigners who don't even have work permit.”

Sithipol Pechkhajee, President of Phuket Tour Desk Group said, “We have a problem about price cutting, this issue has long been fought over.

Since when is it up to a regulatory body to set pricing? The FREE market and business will sort that out, oh I get it just make them all 1,000,000 baht per tour, put the price up make more money when business is bad as we always do in Thailand.

Maybe some business training and communication skills would help !!

It annoys me seeing foreigners working commissions selling tours. I'm glad to see the crackdown. Too many bodgy business owners too cheap to employ Thais selling Phi Phi island trips. It's totally illegal for a foreigner to be sitting behind a desk selling the local products

“From what I have seen, the problem is because of a price war and using foreigners who don't even have work permit.” - no. The problem is, Thai tour desk operators don't speak Chinese and Russian, so they either employ Chnese and Russians illegally, or Chinese and Russians set up shop, to cater for the demand.

What a muppet.

“From what I have seen, the problem is because of a price war and using foreigners who don't even have work permit.” - no. The problem is, Thai tour desk operators don't speak Chinese and Russian, so they either employ Chnese and Russians illegally, or Chinese and Russians set up shop, to cater for the demand.

What a muppet.

There are plenty of English speaking farangs sitting behind tour guests selling tours and then driving the guests to the piers. Do you think that's right?

What a muppet.

There are plenty of English speaking farangs sitting behind tour guests selling tours and then driving the guests to the piers. Do you think that's right?

With Phuket's reputation, I'm not surprised there is a demand from tourists to only deal with a foreign native English speaker here.

"Do you think that's right?" - I know it's illegal, but I couldn't care less.

The Thai's are busy setting up so much protectionism in all sectors of the tourism industry, with their price fixing, that it practically begs foreigners to step in and start doing business.

Pretty soon, all the tours will be marketed, advertised, selected, and paid for, in China, so, there will be no one here to sell to.

• Like 1

What a muppet.

With Phuket's reputation, I'm not surprised there is a demand from tourists to only deal with a foreign native English speaker here.

The Thai's are busy setting up so much protectionism in all sectors of the tourism industry, with their price fixing, that it practically begs foreigners to step in and start doing business.

Pretty soon, all the tours will be marketed, advertised, selected, and paid for, in China, so, there will be no one here to sell to.

but if there are Russian tour operators selling tours the Thaivisa mob go ballistic. Sorry I don't see the difference

What a muppet.

but if there are Russian tour operators selling tours the Thaivisa mob go ballistic. Sorry I don't see the difference

The Russian ruble has dropped 40% of it's value in recent time. It will probably drop even further.

The Russians still holidaying here bought their holidays months ago, before the sanctions.

The Russian tourists here will be declining at a rapid rate, shorty.

The Thai tour desk operators think their lack of business is because of foreign tour desk operators thaking their jobs - in my opinion, their lack of business is because the western market to Phuket is contracting, as will be the Russian market, and the Chinese have everything organised for them in China, before they fly out.

Like I said, in the future, there will be very little tourists who will actually be interested in buying a tour, from anyone.

The Russian ruble has dropped 40% of it's value in recent time. It will probably drop even further.

The Russians still holidaying here bought their holidays months ago, beore the sanctions.

The Thai tour desk operators think their lack of business is because of foreign tour desk operators thaking their jobs - in my opinion, their lack of business is because the western market to Phuket is contracting, as will be the Russian market, and the Chinese have everything organised for them in China, before they fly out.

Like I said, in the future, there will be very little tourists who will actually be interested in buying a tour, from anyone.

The Aussie dollar has dropped as much as the ruble

The Russians still holidaying here bought their holidays months ago, beore the sanctions.

Not correct. AUD has dropped about 20% from the high of last year. Ruble more like 50%. Compared with the Thai Baht.

I know cos I track the AUD given we hold AUD stocks.

Not correct. AUD has dropped about 20% from the high of last year. Ruble more like 50%. Compared with the Thai Baht.

I know cos I track the AUD given we hold AUD stocks.

Well it's dropped from $1.10 When it was above the dollar to 77 cents now. That's a drop of well over 30 percent. It's even worse against the Baht. From 33 down to 24.4 Now of course that's not an average but that's well over 30 percent down.

Putin actually inflated interest rates to above 17 percent to stop the fall of the Ruble and now it's bouncing back The yanks were trying to punish the Russians financially. Australia is one of the few countries in the world that's currency is purely dictated by free markets. The rest are manipulated, hence why one week the Aussie dollar can fluctuate madly. It drives me wild, I wish I earn the in Baht

It annoys me seeing foreigners working commissions selling tours. I'm glad to see the crackdown. Too many bodgy business owners too cheap to employ Thais selling Phi Phi island trips. It's totally illegal for a foreigner to be sitting behind a desk selling the local products

It's ok for a farang to sell tours. They cannot be a tour guide. As long as they have a work permit which most selling tours do. It's not illegal at all.

It's ok for a farang to sell tours. They cannot be a tour guide. As long as they have a work permit which most selling tours do. It's not illegal at all.
So why did they boot all those Russian operated tour booths out of Karon and Kata last year?

"It's actually ok for a farang to sell tours." - really????

Check out point number 6.

"Front shop sale."

Under the Alien Employment Act, the following occupations are closed to foreigners and is reserved for Thai nationals only:

• Labor work except labor work in fishing boats under the next category below.
  • Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labor work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.
  • Bricklaying, carpentry, or other construction work.
  • Wood carving.
  • Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting international aircraft.
  • Front shop sale.
  • Auction sale work.
  • Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.
  • Cutting or polishing precious or semi-precious stones.
  • Haircutting, hairdressing, or beautification.
  • Cloth weaving by hand.
  • Mat weaving or making utensils from reed, rattan, jute, hay, or bamboo.
  • Making rice paper by hand.
  • Lacquer work.
  • Making Thai musical instruments.
  • Niello work.
  • Goldsmith, silversmith, or gold-and-copper alloy smith work.
  • Stone work.
  • Making Thai dolls.
  • Making mattresses or quilts.
  • Making alms bowls.
  • Making silk products by hand.
  • Making Buddha images.
  • Knife making.
  • Making paper or cloth umbrellas.
  • Making shoes.
  • Making hats.
  • Brokerage or agency except in international trading.
  • Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work

requiring specialized techniques.

• Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing-making, cost estimation, or consulting services.
  • Dressmaking.
  • Pottery.
  • Cigarette rolling by hand.
  • Tour guiding or conducting.
  • Hawking of goods.
  • Thai typesetting by hand.
  • Unwinding and twisting silk by hand.
  • Clerical or secretarial work.
  • Providing legal services or engaging in legal work (except arbitration work sand work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute

under consideration by the arbitrators is not Thai law)s

Collecting money is illegal, which tends to be part of sales. Edited by stevenl

"Front shop sale."

Under the Alien Employment Act, the following occupations are closed to foreigners and is reserved for Thai nationals only:

• Agriculture, animal husbandry, forestry or fishery, except work requiring specialized knowledge, farm supervision, or labor work in fishing boats, particularly marine fishery.
  • Wood carving.
  • Driving motor vehicles or vehicles which do not use machinery or mechanical devices, except piloting international aircraft.
  • Front shop sale.
  • Auction sale work.
  • Supervising, auditing, or giving service in accountancy, except occasional internal auditing.
  • Cloth weaving by hand.
  • Lacquer work.
  • Niello work.
  • Stone work.
  • Making Thai dolls.
  • Making alms bowls.
  • Making Buddha images.
  • Knife making.
  • Making shoes.
  • Making hats.
  • Professional civil engineering concerning design and calculation, systemization, analysis, planning, testing, construction supervision, or consulting services, excluding work

• Professional architectural work concerning design, drawing-making, cost estimation, or consulting services.
  • Dressmaking.
  • Pottery.
  • Hawking of goods.
  • Providing legal services or engaging in legal work (except arbitration work sand work relating to defense of cases at arbitration level, provided the law governing the dispute

What I'm not permitted to roll my own smokes, huh??

"Front shop sale."

• Wood carving.
  • Front shop sale.
  • Auction sale work.
  • Cloth weaving by hand.
  • Lacquer work.
  • Niello work.
  • Stone work.
  • Making Thai dolls.
  • Making alms bowls.
  • Making Buddha images.
  • Knife making.
  • Making shoes.
  • Making hats.

• Dressmaking.
  • Pottery.
  • Hawking of goods.

What I'm not permitted to roll my own smokes, huh??

I like the first one, "labor work" - which could mean anything they want it to mean. :)

Collecting money is illegal, which tends to be part of sales.

Correct. The foreigner who has a work permit to be the general manager of a tour agency cannot work alone in the office, a Thai national has to be there who theoretically makes the bookings, writes out the vouchers and collects the money. The foreign GM is allowed to talk to the customers, which will often be in a language other than English.

Correct. The foreigner who has a work permit to be the general manager of a tour agency cannot work alone in the office, a Thai national has to be there who theoretically makes the bookings, writes out the vouchers and collects the money. The foreign GM is allowed to talk to the customers, which will often be in a language other than English.
<cough cough> and foreigners never ever take money or write receipts

So, they have laws that see the foreigner use his capital, and skills, to basically employ 4 Thai's, to do nothing. biggrin.png

So, they have laws that see the foreigner use his capital, and skills, to basically employ 4 Thai's, to do nothing. biggrin.png

Well if you didn't have these laws you would see foreigners walking around the streets trying to sell tours to anybody and everybody. Trying to hustle commissions. Kinda like the suit vendors and time share touts...how would you like to hear every morning as you are walking down Nanai road 'Oi mate, fancy a trip to Phi Phi'